Conan Online
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Tarib
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Conan Online

Rumour has it that Funcom is working on a MMORPG set in the Conan universe. By Crom! I have been waiting for a game like that for a long time. The Hyborian Age (the age of Conan) is IMHO the perfect setting for a MMORPG; only one race (humans) with a lot of variety - Aesir, Vanir, Cimmerians, Stygians, Kithans, Hyrkanians ... you name it.
The stories written by Robert E. Howard and later some other authors are quite dark and brooding. Magic is a dangerous thing and everyone who commits himself to the dark art must be prepared to never leave that black realm with his soul intact.

If you want to know more, check out the CONAN ONLINE Fanpage.
Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:24 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I am a huge fan of RE Howards pulp fiction. Characters like Conan the Cimmerian, Kull of Atlantis, Bran Mak Morn, and Solomon Kane. This action-rpg looks killer!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (PC)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/606/606369p1.html?fromint=1

"After completing the single player, players will get to join the online portion of the game. This isn't something necessary, Funcom has specifically designed the game so that players can feel content without having to play online, but judging by the features list Funcom lists off for online content, it'll probably be pretty hard to resist."

"The main draw is the combat system, which will have several levels of play. The most immediate level of play include the personal things such as chopping off limbs and heads. There are no punches pulled with Age of Conan. This will be an M rated title that truly deserves the mark of maturity. The team is making a huge effort to bring the dark and violent world to life and that means a healthy helping of hemoglobin splattered across the landscape."

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:53 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

What a great idea! Looks like alot of barbaric fun for Conan fans

Kengo will truly be in Howard Heaven
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:00 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

My problem is that its Funcom that is making it. They are notorious for having crappy service. AO is a testament to that. Customer service there was the worst ever. Besides they tend to make poor decisions when it comes to making changes. They never listen to their customers or anything. The articles interviews I've read from various designers from Funcom on new AO expansion packs they tend to just hodepodge it. It would look good to me if it was another company making it. But as it is I don't see myself playing it.
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:03 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Funny - I see the opposite. Funcom is an experienced developer and even though AO had a very rocky start, it developed quite well. Don't forget they make adventures like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, as well.
Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:48 am