Newbie tips?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Newbie tips?

I feel like working a bit on the walkthrough. Of course I could collect all infos on the German fan sites, but somehow I donīt feel like quoting.

I have already written a chapter on this a year ago. Now letīs see if Iīve overlooked something.

What are your general suggestion for an absolute newbie starting G2?
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:57 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

* Learn the fighting controls before you go to the first young wolf, if you have to figure it out during the fight it can get really messy.

* Take your time to explore the area, be sure not to miss something (gold satchels&spell scrolls)
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:06 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

In the beginning small bloodflies can be really annoying. They fly around driving you nuts because you can't hit them. Take out your Light Bow and shoot them. Because you're just a rookie you won't hit them from a distance, but when you lure them you can shoot them when they are close, right before they hit you.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:41 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"absolute newbie"

Turn Off Gothic 1 Controls, which are set as defalut control scheme, that single fact has turned off more Reviewers and lost more potienal Gothic fans than any other single issue.

My oppinion about this is get people as fans first, let them see all the wonder of the Gothic world first then if they want to learn Gothic 1 controls they are there anytime.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:53 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I never get it why people turn down a game because of the controls. With G2 and also Dungeon Lords I heared several players that the controls were awkward and weird. No, they're different and you can either change them in the options menu or get used to it, which you will in all cases. Of course DL doesn't have the same controls as G2 or as any other game, but what's the problem with that.

[little off-topic]
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:40 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I play Gothic BECAUSE of the great controls. Name another game where SKILL overcomes level.....think hard......niothing comes to mind. Gothic has a learning curve on controls most lamer gamers can't deal with....they are used to clickety clickety I am god. Gothic raised the bar......and did it WELLLLLL.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:05 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Gorath asked for info to help an absolute newbie, not what I thought about the controls

Besides if I ignore the commonality of the complaints about Gothic series for my own oppinion that would be selfish and not in Gothic best intrest.
Which btw, in the long run is in all fans intrest cause it means more Gothic.
It is like the people that complain about having a quicksave, how it ruins the game and is SO terrible.
Who is making them use the quicksave NO one and no one is making long time/current fans use any controls they dont want to.
Yet with G2 they improved the controls and the game fan base grew because now there is more choice how to enjoy it.
If PB picks up another 20% fanbase cause they offer more choices to there fans/potienal fans will you deny PB this?
Maybe we should stone you if you would

"Name another game where SKILL overcomes level"

Heh, arent not most action type games tilted in favor of skill?
Several games have used timed swings System Shock 2 was an early one, well late 90's anyway
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:45 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

just learn how the game handels and play whit your mind and heart
for exsample if gothic was real life and you where the hero
would you as an totatly inexperianced warrior go up agains a black troll ?
i think not .. unless ofcause you have a death wish
gothic can be very realistic in that way
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:49 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

* Save often in many slots.
* Don't go using 2-handed weapons as soon as you find them. Wait till you got somoe more levels (2-handed weapons are good for damaging an opponement when you can affort to lose some LP)
* Make sure not to attack new creatures once you spoted them (save first before attacking or look at the creatures size, bigger creature are often the more powerfull (shadowbeasts, minecrawler(warriors), swampsharks, trolls)).
* Don't go shooting with ranged weapons at great distance.
* In chapter 2 you don't have to kill all orcs yet, try to avoid them, you're most likely still to weak by then.
* If you can kill a lone creature relatively easy don't get overconfident and go attacking groups of hem.

And don't forget:SAVE OFTEN IN MANY DIFFERENT SLOTS.
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:23 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thanks. The list so far is as follows. Things I left out I either donīt agree with or find them more suitable for other chapters.

- Save often in many slots .... etc.

- If you can kill a lone creature relatively easy don't get overconfident and go attacking groups of hem. -> = Fight only one creature at a time.

- just learn how the game handels and play whit your mind and heart
for exsample if gothic was real life and you where the hero
would you as an totatly inexperianced warrior go up agains a black troll ?
-> = use common sense. The Gothic series is realistic.

- Turn Off Gothic 1 Controls, which are set as defalut control scheme, that single fact has turned off more Reviewers and lost more potienal Gothic fans than any other single issue.
-> = also try the alternative control scheme ...

- In the beginning small bloodflies can be really annoying. They fly around driving you nuts because you can't hit them. Take out your Light Bow and shoot them.

- Learn the fighting controls before you go to the first young wolf, if you have to figure it out during the fight it can get really messy.

- Take your time to explore the area, be sure not to miss something (gold satchels&spell scrolls)

Question:
- Don't go shooting with ranged weapons at great distance.
// Why? Does the hit probability sink so rapidly?

More input is welcome. Please make your answers shorter. I know the game. Long explanations are unnecessary.
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:29 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Another thing I would like to suggest is, mentioning how important Plants can be, they are there for a reason and important. while picking plants might not seem like a fun action game quest it can have huge benifits to a beginner.
Also uncooked meat you get off animals doubles in healing ability when cooked.

I think mentioning the trainning levels of Attributes and SKills max out at 100, with Mana being the exception at 200 and that the average level of completion of the game is about 40th with 10 point per level will give them about 400 points to spend during the game.
Cost of Attributes and Skills increase the higher level you become and also cost more if you buy an Attribute not dominate in your Guild/Class.
(I still have not figured out how to do a second install of Gothic 2 since my NotR addon, so I cant check the numbers, I hope my memory is at least close)

I would suggest beginners use Bosper as a Master since it allows the Hero to make lots of extra money.
I know many people point out Harad is also good but you must use a cheat/bug to make him a profitable Master, since there are very limited Billets.

Try solving as many different quest as possible before making BIG desions such as a Master and Guild, since many possible quest will be lost once you make those decisions.
Example choosing a Master before you choose make sure you do all the quest for each Master including asking if they will back you with another Master, do everything except accept.
Same goes with Guilds thou it is a little tougher, basicly you must imeadetly join Milita and Monestary but not the Mercenaries.
So if you want to join another Guild besides the Mercenaries do all the Mercenaries quest first, except the actual joining (when you have to talk to Onar you can stop) then go join the Milita or Monestary.
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:21 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Question
- Don't go shooting with ranged weapons at great distance.
// Why? Does the hit probability sink so rapidly?

I forgot to add 'when you have very little dex and bow handeling skills, it's just a wast of ammo'.
Since the chance you'll hit anything is small at great distance.
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:07 am
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If I am not mistaken nobody mentioned a newbie strategy for the mage class...
Well, mages are really weak at the beginning, but they become very powerful as they progress ( Due to powerful spells )
If you ve chosen to be a novice and later on become a fire magician here are some tips...

- Get 30% One or Two Handed weapon skill ( I got Two Handed )
- Get 30% Crossbow skill ( You need these two in case you run out of mana )
But dont get these skills immediately get them in like 4th Chapter...
- Learn spells that gives the best mana/damage ratio like the firebolt which does 30 damage with 6 mana cost (6/30)
- Make sure you learn Destoy Undead and Rain Of Fire ( Cleans all Orcs in an area in 1-2 rains )
- Stay far way from Orcs and other tough beasts until you get better spells.
- Make sure you also have different elements ( Use ice on those Fire Lizards for extra damage )
- Unless you use cheap tactics ( Which I wont mention ) the Mage is hard in the beginning so all you have to do is avoid tough guys and return when you re stronger, because the enemies you didnt kill dont disappear later on...

* I dont think that the Black Troll is hard. Actually its very easy, just run around and attack at its back, but it takes a long time to kill it. You can attack anytime even as a newbie ( BUT you have to defeat several tough Snappers to reach the Black Troll )

*Finally I STRONGLY recommend that you finish every possible quest for each faction before deciding which class to become. If I am not mistaken I was Level 14 before I joined the Fire Mages...
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:04 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh yeah, another thing:
Skillpoints:
Spend 20 to get expert in 1H fighting at first. This combo will serve you well no matter which class you go to, as it is much faster than the 2h expert combo(more flowing).

If you decide to go 2H weapons later, simply leave the 1H skill at 30, otherwise continue using 1H.

Fighting:
Spend time getting to know your current combo. There are 3 fighting styles with each weapon(normal, expert at 30% and master at 60%).

General tip to make it easier:
Join the militia and become a Paladin in your first game - it is by far the easiest way to get through the game as a beginner. Mage is very hard as a beginner, at least if you have never played Gothic 1. Mercenary is of normal difficulty.
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:40 pm
landlord
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I say a vast perspective is opened by a big amount of dex. It can be used with dex-using weapons (rapier) and is VERY useful when ... you know ... stealing. You can rise your dex easy because of some early tricks. On the other hand, teach making potions, I mean STRENGHT and DEXTERITY potions. It's very useful, believe me.
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:43 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next