Is it just me...?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Is it just me...?

... or is anyone else feeling a tone of slight disappointment with NWN from the early first impressions at various sites? It's not that they say "mh, I am disappointed", but there isn't a lot of enthusiasm to be found, is it?

My expectations for NWN are quite high, and I am really looking forward to this game. I need something to cure my MW addiction, and my highest hopes are NWN and Arx Fatalis (oh yes, and Divine Divinity, but it has been so slient around the game...).[/i]
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:08 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Ehh… I only read the impressions from Gamespot and they seemed to like it a lot.

Personally I try not to read too much about a game before it is released so I won’t have read too many spoilers. Expectations can be a dangerous thing and you’ll most likely end up being disappointed if you set them to high. Still, I have been waiting eagerly for this game for nearly 3 years so the possibility of utter disappointment is obvious. But I have a lot of faith in BioWare. I believe it’s the best thing ever to hit the CRPG market.

Last: Thumps up for making a NWN forum. I believe I’ll spend a lot of time here. Perhaps you should consider offering a moderator role to EverythingXen (If he wants to of course). I’m impressed with his knowledge of D&D. That not to say the Guardians don’t know anything

EDIT: OK, I need eyes for my next birthday. You already discussed this in another thread

Last edited by stealth on Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:51 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Didn't really think of that when I read the first impressions-articles mentioned in RPGdot, but then I read them again. There are no really ecstatic comments about the game, other than it being "fun", which can be interpreted as "playable, but nothing special". Still I wish that this will be as good as I hoped.

In the end, most of the hype has been in the DM mode and multiplayer, which hasn't been tested that much yet. Singleplayer mode doesn't need to be ground-breaking, as long as it's good, and I mean Baldur's gate-good. I bet most of us will be buying the game for MP action.

The thing that I fear most is that the MP will be ruined by powerplayers and pkillers and DM's who just create triggerhappy monsterhunt-modules with dragons all around. I hope I'll find a good group of people to play with..

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:54 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Actually, i am not interested in the MP aspect of NWN at all. I hope it has a nice single player campaign and there will be a lot of good SP modules.

Maybe my liking will change once I tried MP
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:46 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

oooohhhh! So *actually* it is possible to create SP modules!!!! I begun thinking that i dreamt it! And anyone could please tell me if it happens that you're alone if this modules or you can play them with a party of NPC?
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:44 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't have any official information, but I recall that you can play modules with NPC companions. Atleast I didn't find anything that would imply that you can't use NPC companions.

There is no strict line between MP and SP modules, since "multiplayer" modules can be played "singleplayer" and vice versa. It depends only on how independent the module creator made it. More scripting and autonomous NPC's and there is no need for a live DM if you want to play SP. I recall that some NWN site rated the beta-toolset modules based on the need of a live DM (among other variables, ofcourse)

Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:08 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The only 'first impressions' report I care about are RPGDots... which will be MY first impressions (or Myrthos'... one of us).

Frankly, I expect single player to stink. I'm buying it 90% for the multiplayer. Like I did Diablo and Diablo 2. I want to adventure with others from around the world through modules and such.

A nice singleplay that can be completed in a few hours would be alright. But it's not how I'm judging the game.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:52 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I don't know anything about a game untill I buy it. All I know about Neverwinter Nights is that the name of the game will be Neverwinter Nights and is spose' to be the next big online RPG. Good enough for me.

Although I do wish I read some reviews about Phantasy Star Online before I bought it........
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:54 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I'm pretty much only interested in the MP aspect of NWN as well. I see the SP module only as a tool to get familiar with the game itself before getting it on with real people. I've been looking forward to this since I ended my D&D days! You know, as you get older, it's more difficult to gather enough people up to play D&D regularly as when we were in high school... This game will be as good as you make it, I think.

*crossing his fingers...
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:36 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Yog Sothoth
oooohhhh! So *actually* it is possible to create SP modules!!!! I begun thinking that i dreamt it!

That is the way I am going to play the game before getting self a fat pipe. There are 3 ways to play NWN -> 1. SP 2. MP 3. MP in a preset persistent world.

quote:
Originally posted by Yog Sothoth
And anyone could please tell me if it happens that you're alone if this modules or you can play them with a party of NPC?

Both. It is determined by the module setting. The NPC for hire is called henchman in NWN.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:34 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

After watching the Korean movie, I was left with a feeling of emptiness.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:46 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That's a shame... it sounds like you've hit what I ran into a few years back. I outgrew CRPGs. I measured them all... and they were found wanting.

Now I just take them as them come for what they are. I expect nothing.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:50 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Perhaps...

But RPG's are just getting more and more dumbed down.

Morrowind is a kiddy game. Completely overhyped, and severely broken in every aspect that a solid RPG should be balanced.
NWN looks rather simplistic, and I just have this feeling lots of people are going to be disappointed. Editor or not, it's going to take a long time for that community to even catch on. Just look at Vampire, it had a lot of promise, and that game totally bombed because user campaigns weren't any good.
BG2 had absolutely no imagination to it at all, Bioware just threw a bunch of mages at you throughout the game, and forced you to play "Magic the Gathering" and counter every effect.
PoR2 was a disaster, it failed in every catagory it could fail in.
Lionheart has promise, but they are going for a rushed real time idea, without the option to pause, I get a "Diablo" vibe.
IWD2 is just another dungeon crawl, fight fight fight.

Where are the good games at? Nothing "feels" right anymore. Nothing has that inspiring way to it, like Fallout did. There just aren't roleplaying games anymore, they're all combat infested, teeny bopper games that have no sense of maturity to them at all.

Gothic was incredible, I hope PB doesn't change a thing in the sequel except the size and content of the game (engine upgrades are a given).

Arcanum was a near masterpiece of roleplaying, yet Troika is having publisher problems and can't even anounce their next two titles...wtf

Black Isle Studios are just being silly by developing IWD2 instead of Fallout 3. The entire concept of that game was to be a quick buck, and now it's taking way longer than expected... Everytime there is a rumor about BIS' latest project, it's ALWAYS hopes of Fallout 3, yet it never is. If Iplay is in such a finacial crisis, wouldn't you think they'd want to bank on something nearly the entire roleplaying community wanted? They're current unnanounced project has already been confirmed as NOT being Fallout 3.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:32 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Llama, I feel your pain.

But still, RPGs have already been in a near-death state for many times and then a rogue publisher has done something that has completely blown us away. Look what happened with BG series or Fallouts. They completely redefined many aspects of modern CRPGs.

The situation now is far better than 4-5 years ago, when dungeon crawls were the only thing you could get and even they were scarce. The final destruction of Ultima series was seen as a death blow to the whole RPG community, but we rise again! I'm hoping NWN will bring a lot to the community and help build a solid culture of storytelling and true roleplaying over the net. Just look at some of the communities that have been built around it. A lot of veterans are blowing dust from their Forgotten Realms campaign settings and getting ready to host some kickass scenarios.

Although I'm scared too about the 'easy to learn interface' and other Joe Sixpack-hugging statements Bioware has given.

Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:45 am
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I still have hopes for NWN, but I also agree with much of Llama's post. Many of the games just seem stale to me now. Dungeon Seige, HoMMIV( 3 was far superior imho), BG2, etc were all somewhat dissapointing to me. I have stopped my old habits of rushing out and buying new games on impulse. I will wait to see what the reviewers, and posters on this site, have to say.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:40 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next