Usergroups
The CRPGs that Gothic reminds me of
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Monkey Fluff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The Ultima Underworld thing is more of a personal rememberance than any kind of true resembalance. It just has the same magic.

I agree with the Morrowind comments, I'm not particularly excited about going back to the static isle of Vvardenfell. However, Morrowind was a well crafted game and for that I believe it deserves its dues. It does make you think though when you consider the years in which is was in development and how Gothic came outta nowhere.

I've just got into the Orc village. I feel I'm closing in, must admit I'm a bit scared that I'm actually going to meet the Sleeper...
Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:35 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

ur still far from it
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:05 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I haven't played Gothic but only NOTR with Gothic 2 if I can add my 2 cents...

I agree, no other game remember me Gothic 2 NOTR but I can say the same for Citadel, Ultima Underworld, Fallout, Morrowind and few other.

But if this game series isn't help by not being in english I can bet it is a date in computer games in term of story density and world living. From this point of view nothing is near to reach that level even if for example Ultima Underworld and Ultima 7 was quite impressive.

From design and writing to implementation Gothic team must have a secret to manage that, is there any true quest bugs that doesn't come from an abuse of marvin mode, misunderstanding of dialogs (quest logs not always perfect) or items lost? (I speak of NOTR)

That said, those elements are the core of RPG but they are far to be the single points. And if the close combat system is also great once you start to learn use it, none of the other elements reach the quality you can find in other RPG there and there. This includes, the long range combat system, the magic, the class system, the story line and writing quality, the puzzles depths and interest, the secrets design. For all those points it is far to be the best RPG but they aren't really weak points.

More important, overall it is the best anyway.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:24 am
Squeek
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ultima Underworld, The Stygian Abyss was the first RPG to use the first-person perspective, and so it's certainly fair to compare it to Gothic. There were other similarities too. For instance, The Stygian Abyss was a prison.

I loved that game as much as I loved playing Gothic. As I recall, Computer Gaming World magazine rated it the best game of all time for quite a while.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:39 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I've finally played and finished Gothic 1. As a bandit/mercenary with fighting and ranged combat.

I must say that the game reminded me a lot to Severance: Blade of Darkness. Mostly because of the Sleeper's Temple. A lot of different ways to get through and back, shooting arrows to open doors and disable traps, lava streams which were a pain in the ass with acrobatics.
The levels in Severance were built the same way, IMO.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:08 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: The CRPGs that Gothic reminds me of

quote:
Originally posted by Monkey Fluff
Gothic has its flaws, but it's honestly one of the best CRPGs, no, PC games, I've played since Morrowind came out. And that's saying something for a game that's now four years old and of indie development.

Indie development? Hu? Since when?
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:09 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2