Just a weird theory
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just a weird theory

Maybe this has already been discust on this forum but I have never seen it.

There are frequently complains on this forum about item's, weapons or ore which disappear from the players inventory. Most people think it's just bug and after some searching they find the right insert code and just insert the lost item. No big problem. But what if it isn't a bug?
In the world of gothic I the player can learn to pickpocket most NPC's. What would stop the teachers from also learning it to other NPC's? Maybe the item's in your inventory doesn't get lost because of a bug but the NPC's also steal from the player himself?

It doesn't make much sense that PB would program the NPC's to steal quest critical item's form the player, but maybe that's the real bug. The NPC's dont only steal ore from the player (like the player can do with the NPC's) but because of the bug they also steal those quest items.

What do the rest of you think about this?
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:28 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

I dont really believe in that. But if it is like that than i wouldnt be wondering. PB made Gothic realistic enough for NPCs to steal from player.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:45 pm
Innos(the original)
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You would have seen him, the npc's see in "first person", but u in third, so if what u say is true, they are afk, or the stealer is invisible or use telekinese.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:51 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Re: Just a weird theory

quote:
Originally posted by EDV
Maybe this has already been discust on this forum but I have never seen it.

There are frequently complains on this forum about item's, weapons or ore which disappear from the players inventory. Most people think it's just bug and after some searching they find the right insert code and just insert the lost item. No big problem. But what if it isn't a bug?
In the world of gothic I the player can learn to pickpocket most NPC's. What would stop the teachers from also learning it to other NPC's? Maybe the item's in your inventory doesn't get lost because of a bug but the NPC's also steal from the player himself?

It doesn't make much sense that PB would program the NPC's to steal quest critical item's form the player, but maybe that's the real bug. The NPC's dont only steal ore from the player (like the player can do with the NPC's) but because of the bug they also steal those quest items.

What do the rest of you think about this?

What if all those bugs are just certain FEATURES! All those crashes..maybe pb just intented to gothic crash if gamers don't have right videocard, Isn't that a great way to make people upgrade their hardware and thus make many hardware manufactories very happy.

Are you a programmer?
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:12 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Innos(the original)
afk??

@Dez
No, I'm no programmer.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:15 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"afk?? "

Away from keyboard, or another meaning is, not at computer.

Intresting idea but you would have to have a chance based on your own Dexterity to stop them.
Fallout 2 had this feature, in the Road Warrior type setting, kids would stand in front of popular bars or stores and try to pickpocket you as you entered and left.
If they were successful you would see your item show up in a merchants inventory the next time you entered the level, unless you pickpocketed them back first
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:34 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Innos(the original)
You would have seen him, the npc's see in "first person", but u in third, so if what u say is true, they are afk, or the stealer is invisible or use telekinese.

The main character is not always in third person, in dialog it often happens that you see the other character from over the schoulder of the hero, so you can't see what's happening directly behind the hero.
What if the person the hero is talking to is a accomplice and his job is to distract you while the thief pickpockets the hero?
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:37 am
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

It's just a bug, man!

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:58 pm
necromancerya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I dont really beleive this, but investigate it and maybe you will become the Fox Mulder fo Gothic
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:16 pm
will free
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Uhmmm....no. Bug.
Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:08 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

I know whos to blame.Its innos the god is the one who steals from you even if oyu are his chosen
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:16 pm