The Spirits of the Ocean House
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

The Spirits of the Ocean House

Here's some animations based on my favorite part of the game, the Ocean House Hotel. This is a haunted hotel in which a man goes bonkers basically, part jealous and paranoid rage and insanity, and I suspect part demonic or spiritual influence, and kills his entire family and sets the place ablaze.

Ive got a few more rattling around in my skull, and theyll find their way to pixel form in due time. Tiffany is the young girl that was murdered in the hotel, thus doomed to roam it's musty corridors until someone has the courage to set her free.

Doomed to perpetually flee her psychotic pop's axe

Manifest over one of the particularly brutal newspaper headlines, chronicling the tragic and brutal demise of her and her brother.

I was inspired to make the animations based on the restless spirits of the old hotel, partly because I can relate to the feel of the place. It's more than just horror, that whole area is as close to magical a game has ever been for me. Who hasnt been in some very old, spooky hotel? Particularly on the coast, I tend to find them all the more alluring, something about the sea. To any of you who live on the coast as I do, you know the cold damp smell of the briny sea air at night, the dull everpresent crashing in the distance as it pounds the shore, the sight of a lonely beacon shining its light out into the cloudy blackness. It feels like life, like death, like eternity. On the top floor, looking out from the burnt out husk that once was the room of the ill fated family, I can almost smell the coastal air, feel that strange sort of almost primal feeling that I tend to get when near the sea. I can smell the burnt wood of the charred place, hear the carbonized wood, once solid and mighty, crunch like a piece of breakfast cereal beneath my feet.

What a great game!

There are some very old coastal hotels and such here in southern Cali that are alot like the Ocean House, they are a throwback to a bygone era, romantic and sometimes creepy structures to behold and be within. Especially at night.

The Hotel Del Coronado is one such magnificent and storied hotel, and it is said to be actually be haunted by the ghost of a young woman, as are many others plagued by restless spirits. The PR sites to some are below, you can do the ghost site searching yourself

Hotel Del Coronado

The Pierpoint

The Grande Colonial

La Playa

The Georgian

The Queen Mary is a haunted ship/hotel

The Queen Mary

Tho not a hotel, the Winchester House is indeed a candidate

the Winchester House
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:01 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If you play with a Gangrel and have your Heat-Vision activated you can see the Ghostwoman on the second Picture getting chased by a flame-creature The haunted Hotel is a very sad part of the Game indeed...
Post Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:56 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Definitely my favorite part of the game too it really scared me.
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:56 am
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Very nice

I agree, this part of the game was phenomenal. I jumped out of my seat a few times in the hotel. Especially when the girl ran down the hallway...I ran to see where she went, and spent the next few minutes trying to find her again.....very sad story, and great spook factor !
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:33 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Schattenherz
If you play with a Gangrel and have your Heat-Vision activated you can see the Ghostwoman on the second Picture getting chased by a flame-creature The haunted Hotel is a very sad part of the Game indeed...

Ooo... I have to try that! I still haven't really tried out the Gangrel yet.
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:33 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I went back into the house with my Gangrel last night because my Tremere found a magical item in there that my other characters missed. Even fully lit the place is still creepy for some reason. Must be remembered anxiety ... that and the fallen chandelier falls again (well, the sound effect goes off. For that matter if you re-enter the house after it's done it sounds like EVERY crash in the house sounds again simulataneously as the objects are placed).

Was walking along and all of the sudden there was a crashing sound and damage taken. I jumped ... then burst out laughing. I guess I'd missed a few pictures flying at me the first time through, which is why I jumped (totally unanticipated) ... but why I laughed was because I imagined my character, now a lot tougher and no longer as new to the whole supernatural thing after wading through a legion of zombies with his claws alone, whipping around as the pictures hit and snarling "DAMMIT, Fred! Piss off!".

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:43 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A testament to good level design is when you go back and it still makes you jump!
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:56 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well, not so much when I'm involved: I have ligyrophobia.

I'm a riot at movies for the same reason... sigh. Only person I know who jumps during comedies.

It IS a very well constructed level for atmosphere though... no question.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:34 pm