Some rumors I've been hearing.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
marevix
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Some rumors I've been hearing.

I started off as a mage directly- I don't quite like how you have to make your runes, but it isn't a bad change. Once I beat it, (and it took me 2 months to do just that, because of interferences) I was awestruck. I thought the first game was the annex of it all- I just don't see how they pulled off a better game!

However, I must cut to the chase. After beating the game another 2 times as a Dragon Hunter and a Paladin (turns out everyone else beat it the over way around, that's strange), I heard some rumors that there will be some changes in Gothic 3.

My first problem is that they're changing the engine. I'm not particularly fond of that, but it could help increase the performance. However, the reason why I liked Gothic 2 is that it stayed true to the feel of the original game- even keeping the dragon locations in areas where you would look.

In case you were wondering..
Spoiler:
The ice dragon is at the new camp, the swamp camp is at the old orc arena, the rock dragon is at the focus stone fortress you got through with Lester, and the fire dragon is at the volcano.

But back to the point. If they change the controls or make the Gothic 1/2 controls unavailable, I will be angry to the extreme. I don't know why, but alot of other people just don't like Gothic's control scheme, but that's the reason why I love it.

Secondly, I've heard that they will increase the game world size and reduce the detail. As long as they don't take away detail in important places, I have no real problem with that.

However, saving the best for last, some people have said that Pirahna Bytes will make the game completely first-person and mostly mouse controlled. If everyone else here is a Gothic fanatic, I'm sure that will change a few opinions.

On the bright side, maybye the reviewers will stop (censored)ing about the control scheme.[/spoiler]
Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

I like the controlls to. I wold like pb to make the game about 4752X larger so it will last me forever and ever.
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:37 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

If they make the game larger it would be great and they should change the class system just for something new and fun. But don't change it in a first person view and sure not in a klick klick klick action game, the controls make the fight just so much fun they wont change it in a hack and slash like diablo
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:27 pm
Sentimal
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi i just started gothic 2, having played 1, and i have 2 say it is kick butt. I think that G3 should be both first person and third (like morrowind) i think that will make everyone happy! i personally love the controls (maybe got 2 use to em from G1) but i could def play a bigger world. Keeping this in mind i think that if the whole world would be bigger, they should segment it more, so that the save/load times will be cut down. I find that Korhinis and the surroundings take much longer to save/load then the VOM and surroundings. Although segmenting into more then 1 world is good, i defenatly yhink that morrowinds draw back is the constat pause... the load... then again u run... pause... load... just my 2 cents
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:48 pm
rcarter3
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sure hope the PB crew reads users opinions here :)

Have to agree with you here on the third person view and the gothic I style control. I prefer them to other control styles I have experienced in other games I have played. Most games I have purchased I played to completion one time not so with Gothic I and II. Gothic I have have played so many times I have lost count. And Gothic II I am currently working on my 7th time through the game. Why? Because not only does the game rock but its more (much more) then juat a click the mouse point and shoot style POS that most others out there are. Just my 2 cents worth.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:22 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

The gothic 1 controls are the best. They are a lot like in Severance (you know, that very old game with a fighting system that still isn't beaten by any game). I don't like those default Gothic 2 controls. I don't see any reason to change those controls.
Why waste money and time on something that's already good?!
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:26 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well, since everyone else is putting in "two cents" worth....

I also loved the controls in both Gothic games. I thought G2 was an improvement in that area. I have to say though that even better than the controls is the camera controls. I have never played a game with better camera controls than the Gothics. I mean, how cool is it to be able to zoom way up overhead or right down to the shoulder of your character with just a simple sweep of your scrolling mouse button?!? That brings me to one of the points that started this topic: First person verses Third.

I definitely prefer 3rd person over 1st in Gothic as do most people. But remember that Gothic does 3rd person very well. (mainly because of awesome camera controls and the well done targeting system) A lot of games suck in 3rd person... take Morrowind for example. You almost have to play that in 1st person to get anything done. I agree with Marevix, if they make G3 completely 1st person, it will be nothing like the first two - and that would be a very bad thing indeed. Part of what makes Gothics so cool is that you "see" your guy all decked out in his armor and weapons n stuff. Where's the fun in not being able to do that? I think that the PB team realizes that as much as we do and will NOT turn G3 into a FPS.

Actually, that was a little more than "two cents" wasn't it??
Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:36 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

I think they should leave most things like they are; like the controls are great when u get used to it, the nameless hero, the story is really 'sucking you into the game', the classes are fine, the level up system and the point and trainer etc is fine. If I could chose I would only change the grappichs and the length of the story the rest is great!

Gothic II Credits
Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:08 pm
Eat_Lead
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think that the best features of Gothic are the story and combat. The graphics aren't exactly great but this is mostly made up for by great texturing. Once u get used to them the controls are good but for ur average Gamespy reviwer (pick game up, decide u dont like controls, dont bother to finish the game and then rubbish it because u cant be bothered to play it properly) they should be changed purely for sales. Another feature that isnt very good is the inventory..i mean its just a grid and when u get loads of stuff it gets annoying; they really took a step back taking out the catagorys from G1.
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:47 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I agree completely with you eat-Lead. What was able to be aproved they did actually did it with G2(not that there was much that could be done) but the inventory system of G1 was better.
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:53 pm