New MMORPG- Metallurgy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Praecantrix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

New MMORPG- Metallurgy

Thought I would stop by and post a few things on this exciting new MMORPG. First off, the game will be free. Players will be able to pay to own a faction in the game though. If you haven't even heard of Metallurgy yet, you can find a summary of it's concepts at our FAQ pages, Here.

If you have any questions, please direct them towards our forum. A link to the forum can be found on the left side of the FAQ page.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:56 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Great! Thanks for posting the info, I'll add a link to my sticky MMORPG post in this forum.

How far in the making is it?
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:59 pm
Praecantrix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmm...

Well, right now, me and the assistant concept designer are working out the innards of the game. The game has been in development for a few months, however we have not completed our engine yet. We have, however, gotten alot of the concept work out of the way. As of now, I really can't say how far we are along, I'll ask Azulus (lead programmer).
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:01 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Sounds like you're travelling the early roads at the moment. I browsed the FAQ through and it seems interesting, especially considering it is free.

Will you have a own client software for it or is it played in browser? How about graphics? 3D or isometric?
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:04 pm
Praecantrix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yeah...

We are in early development. The game will be 3rd person isometric, however it should have 3d terrain, and the player sprites may also be 3d. That's not really my department, lol. The game will also be packaged in a module system w/ a sound, game, communications, and graphics module. Later on we are planning on releasing a FPS graphics module that you can use to play the game FPS style. We may also release other graphics modules depending on public demand for them.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:09 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Spells in the post-apocalyptic world? Did all the radioactive fallout give people magic abilities all of a sudden?
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:11 pm
Praecantrix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well

no spells, just science. although a science like magnetism may resemble magic, it's science.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:22 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bugger me buggers. And there I go thinking I read, in the dev notes, something about Intelligence and Witt being driving abilities behind spells.

But magnetism is good. Now if only I knew how to weave it with sharp witt.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:44 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Think about Technomages in Babylon5 series. Anyone remember those? They acted like mages but the thing behind their magic was highly advanced technology and implants.

If a person from 1000 BC would see what we do now with technology they would think it's magic.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:51 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

You speak truth, but it does not apply. They paint their world as low tech. Not high tech. From what I've seen on their boards, I gather that the world is a post apocalyptic low tech junkyard where everybody runs around with swords and armors made of scrap metal. This gives them an excuse to do fantasy setting in the sci-fi world. This is why I was hackling them. Especially in the light of the thread we had on one of the forums where everybody was crying out for a sci-fi type of a world. They took on a sci world and filled it with fi content. IMHO, this does not make sci-fi (which I have a feeling they will advertise it as).
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:03 pm
Praecantrix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well

It fits in to our skill system. To get, and lvl in a skill. Players will search the land and get lore books, lore meaning books about lost technology. So, the idea is a low-tech world that finds books about their past, and tries to rebuild technology.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:20 pm