Village Dweller

Dungeuns lord or Gothic 2

whats better?Imlooking to get 1 of those 2
Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:41 am
ElSebasti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 Gold. It's cheaper and better.

Graphicaly Dungeon Lords is slightly better but if you want a real game go for Gothic.

PS: I haven't tried the latest DL patch, but I doubt that it makes much diference from the version I played.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:32 am
Admiral Nelson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 topic in Gothic 2 forum please!

I personally would go for G2, but i've only played the demo for Dungeon Lords
Post Sat May 13, 2006 10:50 pm
Beliarsclew
Victim Of The Greed
Victim Of The Greed

Gothic 2 is a way better than Dungeon Lords, I played both ofcourse, Dungeon Lords The Game has alot of bugs, many bugs to fix, also the story/gameplay is not good as Gothic 2.

It doesnt need a poll to decide which to buy, you can download the demo of each and try it yourself, or you can take a look at each of those games reviews on gamespot / <<site like that>>.
Post Mon May 22, 2006 7:33 pm
Lex Looter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2, hands down. I hope you can read this before making your decision.

Most games have flaws. Neither G2 or DL are exceptions to that rule.
However, comparing the two isn't even fair. DL could have been a damn good game but it seems that development has been halted halfway trough completion and the project pieces were hastily put together and sent to the stores in time for the holydays.

The DL demo will give you a false impression that the game world looks alive but that isn't true at all, on contrary. Unfortunatelly it takes place in the only town they bothered to populate.

DL simply doesn't deliver half the features it promises. It's bugged, it is lifeless and completely void of content - imagine going to an Inn and the only thing you can find there is the keeper. Not even a single chair in the whole damn building. You can actually see light projections from empty fireplaces without any fire lit, not even wooden logs, no effects, just an empty spot projecting light out of the thin air.

Don't expect to see people walking around and carrying their bussiness as you can watch in gothic. Mostly, don't expect to see people at all, because that will rarely happen outside the fist town and very far between. Don't even dream of witnessing an animal actually hunting another one as you often see in Gothic's forests.

And you can tell how it was rushed not only because of the missing furniture or complete absence of ambience. There are skills that never made into the game (like repairing objects) or were implemented as placeholders as well, like Sneak.

Sneak is emblematic. It's a class skill, only available for rogue characters.
One would think that it allows you to go about unnoticed. Alas, that is impossible.

The AI in DL _always_ know your position, even if you're not even near an enemy's Line of Sight. As soon as they spawn in the vicinity (and that will happen right before your eyes quite often) they start to chase you. Too much for stealth gameplay, so the description of the skill tells more or less that, contrary of what one would believe, sneak will "lessen the chances of being attacked by a monster if there are other people in the room".

Considering that you play alone all the time and you cannot have companions or form a party, the skill is useless.

Then there another rogue skill that is even worse - it's stealing/pickpocketing. Since you can't approach any entity without being noticed right away, you actually can't really steal anything. Instead, it will rise the chance of an enemy dropping extra loot when you *hit them with your weapon*. That's right, if you know how to "steal" you can squeeze more gold and junk from a victim than killing it right away and searching the body.

I don't even want to think WHERE that extra loot was stashed but something keeps telling me it probably doesn't smell good.

Its combat system is, well, badly designed. You spend your hard-earned skill points to develop "combos" that will in fact make your character swirl and dance around, swinging the sword left, right and THEN, if you're lucky, straight forward where your enemy actually is. If you're REALLY lucky you will hit something 1 out of 3 tries.

As I said enemies will often spawn out of thin air right before your eyes. You can't wipe a dungeon clean because a few minutes after killing a mob it will come back and attack you again. That happens all the time and also inside the guarded town - you're on your way to the blacksmith and then POOF, a dozen rats/bats/snakes appear from nowhere.

The world is big. That could be a highlight but actually it's quite the opposite as you have to walk your way through 3/4 of the game until teleporting becomes available. The roads are empty, the landscape is boring. You will go a long stretch without seeing more than grass, cloned trees and rocks, then you will suddenly find yourself surrounded by monsters, by the dozens.

Think about it - you're bound to be a level 30 badass warlock that still have to kill rats. You can reduce but never disable respawning.

Please, do yourself a favor, and buy gothic 2 instead. Hell, I could say, do everyone else a favor and don't support bad game designers. They don't deserve it.
Post Wed May 31, 2006 4:37 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Lex Looter

I don't even want to think WHERE that extra loot was stashed but something keeps telling me it probably doesn't smell good.

LOL!!!
Post Wed May 31, 2006 4:41 am