I Love This Game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
persself
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I Love This Game

Bought this about a week ago, patched it with 1.05, and it runs great. I am very happy with my purchase. It is so addictive; played about 15 hrs the other day-just could not stop.

Call me a fanboy - well, fangirl, actually.[/b]
Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:59 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Anyone else have any comments on this game ? I'm an avid RTS fan and the combination of RPG/RTS sounds intriguing.

I can't seem to find that many opinions on how the game is. Maybe I shouldn't be lazy and just download the demo
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:47 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Addictive, well done, some bugs, but no showstoppers. I like the atmosphere and the story. Really nice game. Full review to follow in January.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:33 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The game is very good. An ambitious, seamless mix of RTS and RPG, with the focus on RTS. Good to great graphics (on a high end system), superb sound track, creative but very good interface.
Pace is relatively slow, no hectic click-fest. The AI of the own troops is good. This is necessary because your influence during combat is rather limited. Pathfinding is perfect. The only flaw is that groups walk in one long caravan instead of a bulk. But you can be sure the caravan will take the shortest path across the whole map if necessary.
Some parts of the game look a bit unfinished - I could list dozens of minor things which could be improved.
IŽm more than satisfied. SpellForce is fun and interesting.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:22 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

The minimum requirements are misleading
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Correct. I wouldnŽt want to play it on a 1 GHz machine.
The biggest drawback so far is the craptastic English voice acting. Listen to SpellForce and you know how good Gothic 2 was.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:40 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

It sounds very similar to Warcraft 3 ..but perhaps with more RPG elements to the "heroes".

Hmm ....I might try and pick up the game today. Decisions, decisions ....

Graphics certainly look great from the screenshots I've seen. I have a AMD 2.4Ghz+, ATI Radeon 9800Pro and 1 Gb memory ...so hopefully it will run well enough even if the minimum specs are misleading ( what ones aren't these days ? )
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:52 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Most people say it dosnŽt play like WC3.

Your PC is fast enough. 80-90% details @1168 resolution are probably no problem.
Remember to disable FSAA & AF in your driver. There is still a bug ATI needs to fix.

DonŽt let the screenshots mislead you. Most of them show the 3rd person view. Although you can zoom in and out as you want youŽll use a more distant camera most of the time. 3rd person view is rather useless in RTS mode because your field of view is too small.

btw., SpellForce is dirt cheap at play.com. 17.99 GBP incl. shipping.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:17 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ok ....picked up a copy of the game this afternoon. Ifind it to be a hybrid of Dungeon Siege/Age of Mythology ( which is good in my books ...).

Took me awhile to finish the tutorial ....but it's well done. I'm generally impressed so far. Graphics are good, sound is fine and storyline seems interesting. No bugs so far.

Onwards bound .... there are goblins and orks to kill !
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:15 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Definite classic material.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:07 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Some epic encounters in this game.

In Eloni, the Siege by Brannigan's horde is awesome. When they became aware of my presence, it was astounding watching wave , after wave of orcs and goblins streaming over the hills, bearing down on my small army.

I'm amazed that my troops remained steadfast. It felt like the Battle of Helm's Deep in LoTR.

A gaming "moment".
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:23 pm
sharp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How's multiplayer?? Can European copy be played in US (multiplayer), if it's good multiplayer and can't be played in US I'll hold off on ordering until the US release, otherwise I plan to order it from gogamer.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:11 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I haven't tried multiplayer yet but I don't think that having a different localised version of the game would have any bearing on who you can play against online.

From reading the forums, I hear that there are a few issues with the balance/technical aspects of the multiplayer game. You may therefore want to wait for the NA release to allow some time for bug-hunting etc.

The single-player campaign is very engrossing however. Since getting the game, I've read quotes that it can take 100+ hours to complete if you try to do a lot of side quests etc. KOTOR and this game are eating my spare time alive
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:34 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I enjoy the game very much. It could be a little more RPG, e.g. with some dungeons to explore or houses you could actually enter. But as a genre mix it is very entertaining. Looks great, is challenging and the story is unoriginal but motivating nevertheless.

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
DonŽt let the screenshots mislead you. Most of them show the 3rd person view. Although you can zoom in and out as you want youŽll use a more distant camera most of the time. 3rd person view is rather useless in RTS mode because your field of view is too small.

btw., SpellForce is dirt cheap at play.com. 17.99 GBP incl. shipping.

There I disagree, with exeption of very large battles where I attack from multiple sides I always use 3rd person in my battles, only then you get to enjoy the special atmosphere of Spellforce! SF has a few interface options that make this quite possible. E.g. tab selects the strongest enemy in view, the click and fight system easily lets you attack with specific units, and the H key allows you to hold vulnerable units in a safe distance. The decent AI of the troops also helps to keep things under control. I encourage everyone to try this, its really great fun to storm a base in 3rd person.

I think the genre has lots of potential. I would like a game that does away with most of the base building and instead integrates building of an armie into the RPG part of the game, e.g. help the king, and he may make you an officer in his army. Do a few missions. Get raised to knightohood and buidl your own fortress, etc., etc.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:19 pm