Maybe a solution for low framerates
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Maybe a solution for low framerates

Over the last few days, I tried about all settings possible to get better framerates in Morrowind. Now I have come up with a setting that, at least on my system, is EXTREMELY nice and playable. Maybe my experiments will help you, too:

First, my system, regarding important parts:

AMD 1300/100
512 MB RAM (SDRAM)
Geforce 3 Ti 200
Windows XP Home
Desktop set to 1280x1024x32

Ok, do the following:

1) get the latest certified NVidia Drivers (23.82)

2) Overclock the Geforce. Don't be shy, mine is a rather standard one with usual components. It runs at 175/450. I did a conservative overclocking, setting the card to 195/450.

3) Set the texture detail to maximum (use the Geforce tab in your video settings).

4) Turn off antialiasing.

5) Now start Morrowind. Click on options and set pixel shader on, screen resolution either to 1280x960 or 1600x1200. Yes, set it that high.

6) Start the game and go to options again. Use these setttings: AI distance 2/3. Real time shadows off. View distance maximum.

7) Enjoy!

On my system, this means silk smooth movment in the wilderness, silk smooth movement in interiors and barely noticeable choppiness in cities, but always highly enjoyable - and it's a visual treat, believe me.

Hope this helps.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:56 pm
Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You mean 28.32 drivers, don't you?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:59 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

right, sorry.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:03 pm
wunshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks

Followed your steps and I boosted from 9fps to 20-30 fps outdoors. Thanks a bunch

wunshot
xp1700
geforce ti200
512 ddr

peaceyweacy
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:55 pm
Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

(Btw, will you post the editor review today? )
Post Fri May 03, 2002 10:11 pm
Radix

Rendelius,

2 questions: I have a Leadtek Winfast Geforce2 Pro 64MB. Where can I find the texture detail tab as my display properties don't have it and second where can I find a good overclock utility as my display properties don't have that either. Thanks!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 10:19 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Gwendo, no editor review within the next days. Simply haven't found the time yet to do a quality one

Radix, I can't help you with that - I don't own a Geforce 2. But I suggest you get the GeforceTweakUtility (do a goodle search to find it) - this will allow you to overclock it (be careful, don't know how far this will go) and change texture details.

Wunshot, glad I could help. If you know others with similar setups, spread the word.

One addition - lower audio quality by one notch. This improves stability and gives a (very) tine performance boost, too.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 10:32 pm
wunshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

sweet...I'll try the audio thing now.

BTW....morrowind is unfuckwithable. I was happy to play it with 9fps!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 10:43 pm
wunshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmm

I cant find anything about audio levels except for the 3d audio button, and its options are only low/high

wunshot
Post Fri May 03, 2002 11:02 pm
Terwin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Maybe a solution for low framerates

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Over the last few days, I tried about all settings possible to get better framerates in Morrowind. Now I have come up with a setting that, at least on my system, is EXTREMELY nice and playable. Maybe my experiments will help you, too:

First, my system, regarding important parts:

AMD 1300/100
512 MB RAM (SDRAM)
Geforce 3 Ti 200
Windows XP Home
Desktop set to 1280x1024x32

Ok, do the following:

1) get the latest certified NVidia Drivers (23.82)

2) Overclock the Geforce. Don't be shy, mine is a rather standard one with usual components. It runs at 175/450. I did a conservative overclocking, setting the card to 195/450.

3) Set the texture detail to maximum (use the Geforce tab in your video settings).

4) Turn off antialiasing.

5) Now start Morrowind. Click on options and set pixel shader on, screen resolution either to 1280x960 or 1600x1200. Yes, set it that high.

6) Start the game and go to options again. Use these setttings: AI distance 2/3. Real time shadows off. View distance maximum.

7) Enjoy!

On my system, this means silk smooth movment in the wilderness, silk smooth movement in interiors and barely noticeable choppiness in cities, but always highly enjoyable - and it's a visual treat, believe me.

Hope this helps.

How do you overclock your video card? I am having a new system built for me at the moment. It's an Athlon 2000, GeForce 4 ti 4600, 512 ram. Can you overclock a Geforce 4? I would be worried that it would damage my system in some way. I'm hoping i don't have to do that. But, if i get slow framerates with that sytem, i might have to. Thanks.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 11:06 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

no need to overclock the system you get

about audio - oh, then they changed that for the full version (I am still fooling around with the beta)
Post Fri May 03, 2002 11:10 pm
Jamison
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Please, if you overclock any of your computer settings, please do not then complain about "bugs".

Remember, overclocking a system rarely results in "frying" a piece of hardware. Rather, it degrades functionality integrity over a period of time. What might appear to be working correctly today, might not work correctly in a couple of weeks. And unfortunately, the hardware damage is irreversable.

If you have a disposable system and plan on frequent hardware upgrades, then overclocking might squeeze a few more fps out of an application. But if you plan on keeping your current hardware configuration for a few months, DO NOT overclock any of the settings!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 12:30 am
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't know, I've found a 10-12% o/c such as Rendelius is suggesting to be safe and stable on GeForce cards, at least those from the bigger manufacturers, like Visiontek and PNY. Don't know what kind of fans/heatsinks the smaller vendors use.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:20 am
Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

lol - My old Celeron 300A ran solid as a rock at 450MHz for 2 1/2 years (until I retired it). Some things overclock well and some don't. Just do some research. Overclocking a GF4 would be a bit silly unless it's a 4200, and a GF2 or less wouldn't make a significant difference. A 10% overclock on a low end GF3 is a no-brainer, but probably not worth it on a 4600.
Low end models are typically 'underclocked', and can usually handle running at close to the speed of the top end cards. They generally have slower memory, but memory that's been overclocked too far has a way of letting you know that it's not happy
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:18 am

quote:
Originally posted by Radix
Rendelius,

2 questions: I have a Leadtek Winfast Geforce2 Pro 64MB. Where can I find the texture detail tab as my display properties don't have it and second where can I find a good overclock utility as my display properties don't have that either. Thanks!

Rendelius

Your card is allready an 200mhz core card. So I dont know why you arent running it in that speed. I had an gf2mx400 that had a core at 200 but it was set to 175mhz because of the driver I used. further more, u can OC you mem with 33mhz without any chances of buggs/damages etc,etc.

I run mine att 230mhz core 450 mem. I get aproximately 10fps more now in games. I can run it in 243 core and 476mem without any buggs/graphics faiuler of texture loading etc,etc. but it only gave me 4-6fps more and is closer to what I can run my card in so I wouldnt recommend 243 core and 476mem. But your right about the resolution crank it up even with an gf2 card use 1024x768 it wont steal much in fps(2-3fps maybe) and everything is better looking.

Radix:
GF2 overclocker guide that tells you what you can expect doing an OC
with you card can be found
http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/graphics/vc_oc/page1.asp

there.

And do use the nocd exe thats posted here it slops off that anoying cdrom checks.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:38 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next