Greatest CRPG Music Of All Time
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

Greatest CRPG Music Of All Time

What do you think is the best music ever made for any RPG out there? Personally, I like the oldschool music, and my vote goes for the original Diablo's Tristram. Perfect mix of medieval style guitar(or lute, whatever hey may have used) and other style instruments that make a style that really pulls you into the game.

Also, who is the best RPG music composer? My vote Easily goes to Jeremy Soule. A total freakin' musical genius! go to his site and look at all the companies he's done work for! www.jeremysoule.com
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:15 am
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

Great question. Alotta people brush off the music in a game as being unimportant and will even pass over it in game reviews, but I completely disagree. Music is absoloutley imperative to creating an atmosphere, at least in my humble opinion.

I was gonna probably say the same thing, that Diablo's music is some of the best ever, particularly in Tristram. It just sets the perfect atmosphere, and I wouldn't change a single note of it. I often find myself strumming it on the guitar.

Other great CRPG music: Morrowind, Might & Magic VI (I love that dungoen theme), Zelda 64 (I know, it's not a computer game, but that music ... I almost wanna cry when I hear it sometimes, so strong is the nostalgia!), Grandia II, Divine Divinity, and Summoner (not very medieval style, though it is a medieval game, but great nevertheless). Dark Age of Camelot was pretty good too.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:48 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I don't think I could choose just one!
The music in the Quest for Glory series was always top notch. The later Ultimas, Divine Divinity, BG2, and IWD all had some great music too. Gothic wasn't bad and I do have to agree that Diablo's Tristram was awesome.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:35 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Some really memorable crpg music for me was the music from Disciples of Steel when you entered the city of Farnus. Ah, memories. I know the game got bad reviews because of complexity and dated looking graphics(for 1993), but it still was an awesome(and long) game and one of my favorites.
Also, Realms of Arkana:Shadows over Riva had a great cd quality soundtrack.
Oh, and Dragon Lore enhanced edition(an rpg/action/adventure)had the best intro music that I can ever recall hearing.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:51 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Music does make a huge difference. Jeremy Soule is oustanding, as is Inon Zur and both have worked on Black Isle games like IWD/2 making them some of my favourites. I liked Soule's work in Total Annihilation and Morrowind but Bethesda didn't buy enough so it gets a bit repetitive.

Divinity's music was unique so that gets a vote from me.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:55 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Jeremy Soule is absolutely the best! I enjoyed his work in Morrowind very much, I love this soundtrack. I also like Wizardy 8 themes. They may seem like nothing special, but they're very good in fact. They create a mood, this special Wizardry-mood...
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:00 am
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

I know how you all mean picking just one song is so difficult. And you are all right, Music is the testament to a game and is all too often overlooked.Anyone ever tried to play an RPG with the music turned off? I tried once, and was almost instantly in the mood to stop and think "what was I thinking?". You give it a try. You'd be surprised.

Since ithere is such a broad range, lets all try to rank into a top 5. Here's mine:

1. Diablo - Tristram
2. Dungeon Siege - Gom Battle
3. Icewind Dale II - Targos
4. Ultima VIII - Tenebrae
5. Gothic - Field

I was really hoping for mroe Tristram quality music in Diablo 2 but I guess music wasn't as important to them the second time around.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:36 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I like Diablo's Tristram music as well. I also enjoy everything by Jeremy Soule and Chris Vrenna (American McGee's Alice). Two of my favorite soundtracks are from Half-life and Lands of Lore II.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:46 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Right, Arcturus, Lands of Lore II... Frank Klepacki. He's a decent composer anyway. I also liked the music of Final Fantasy 6 and 7. And 8, too. And Gothic I and II (Kai Rosenkranz did a good job on those), Morrowind's music was okay as well, but all in all it was too repetitive for my taste.
My favorite game soundtrack of all times happens to be non-RPG... it's the MDK soundtrack by Tommy Tallarico.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:11 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

If I could choose only one game, I'd vote for Baldur's Gate 1. I have the soundtrack CD, and I've listened to it so much the CD is probably wearing down.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:14 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by goshuto
If I could choose only one game, I'd vote for Baldur's Gate 1. I have the soundtrack CD, and I've listened to it so much the CD is probably wearing down.

I agree that BG has some nice tracks in it. I like Candlekeep theme, Beregost theme and this moody Cloakwood night theme. Although... I played BG three times and I really hate this battle music I had to turn it off last time I was playing. Don't get me wrong, they're are good, but after days of playing battle music was doing much more damage to me than those sweet little Kobolds and Ogres
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:27 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

While I agree with all of you, if I had to pick just one, it would probably be IWD. Tough call though. I think I pick that, because it was the first time I really stood up and noticed the music as music, not just background atmosphere. Any game that can do that, has to be special.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:04 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I've got to vote for one of my all time favorites, Outcast. The music was performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra & Chorus and was composed and directed by Lennie Moore. It was excellent! If anyone cares to check some of it out, try the music section at the following link and enjoy!

http://www.outcastii.net/eng/index_eng.php
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:09 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
I agree that BG has some nice tracks in it. I like Candlekeep theme, Beregost theme and this moody Cloakwood night theme. Although... I played BG three times and I really hate this battle music I had to turn it off last time I was playing. Don't get me wrong, they're are good, but after days of playing battle music was doing much more damage to me than those sweet little Kobolds and Ogres

The quality of the BG battle musics is outstanding. They could even be used in movies, IMHO. The problem was that they played in every combat, no matter if you were fighting a Greater Basilisk or simply a diseased Gibberling. If it only kicked in during greater combats, we would not experience the "fatigue" you mentioned, and it would be more appreciated.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:21 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Of recent games some of the opera sounding stuff in divine divinity caught my attention as being exceptionally good.

I liked the sound effects of wizardry 8 a lot but didnt like the synthisizer music much at all. So I wont be in line to buy a cd of the wizardry 8 music ( particularly because all the sound files are right here on my hard drive from the game... I dont understand the market for that personally.... hmmm)
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:57 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next