View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Horatio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dex based swords in NOTR

Hi guys,

I was curious if dex based swords in NOTR, like the epee, rapier and master epee use STR or DEX when determining additional damage for a "critical hit". if it's STR based, then that would make investing in 1H combat a total waste of time for archer characters, right?

conversely, are xbows str or dex based when determining damage?

and damn, playing NOTR with an archer type is challenging. probably not the best idea for a first ever gothic character.

cheers

h
Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:19 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Crossbows use dexterity for damage.

Dexterity swords use dexterity for damage. Otherwise, they would be useless.
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:40 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think Dex based sword uses dex for damage, I think they used strengh, unless of course they changed it NOTR, but if I remeber correctly that's the way it worked in G2
Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:59 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

well im sure that its str in g2 but not in the addon u should ask sem or gorath about that
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:59 am
Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I just tested this, and it appears that dex-based swords use strength for damage in NotR.

My character has 10 strength and 110 dex and has been using the "Betty" dex-sword from NotR. I've been fighting a lot of orcs recently, so I'm quite familiar with how much damage a hit fom Betty usually does to an orc.

To test the theory, I used cheats to change my strength to 100, then attacked an orc. With higher strength, I did far greater damage. It used to take me 20 or 30 hits to kill an orc warrior, now it only takes 6 or 7.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:45 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

All of the melee weapons use STR for damage, really. Some of them may have DEX as a requirement for wielding, probably for those people who want to play more of the archer type then melee type, but when it comes smacking someone with the sword, the STR alone really adds to the damage.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:11 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

If you want to use dex in the game, go for Beliars' Claw, as the lightning damage alone is more than enough to kill anything you come across.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:46 pm
Horatio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the replies. The swords do indeed seem to be str based. And yes, Beliar's claw is definitely the way to go if you're neglecting str. It's maybe a little too powerful.

Anyway, I recently finished the game. Barely touched a sword aside from a few mercenary beat-downs (strange that arrows are lethal but a huge sword is not...), skeletons and the occasional troll.

Game gets pretty easy at the end, eh? Pretty challenging for the most part though (no potion hotkeys for me!). Wonderful game overall.

My only problem is that I was playing the german gold version with the translation patch and I have no idea what was said in the closing movies.

Cheers

h
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:21 am