Usergroups
Horsey
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
RolandIV
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree, i thought the shield was great in Blade of Darkness. You could only take a few hits (depending on the shield) before it shattered which was pretty cool. I thought they handled the combat very well in that game and I think that shields would be a good addition to this one.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:46 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by RolandIV
I agree, i thought the shield was great in Blade of Darkness.

Hehe, yeah, that was one of the few highlights of that game
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:34 pm
darkmage
City Guard
City Guard

ok, three things that would make gothic 3 kick ass,

1 horses, it would be so cool to ride down a pathetic villager or weakling and sever their head as you ride by, also maybey a jousting pole would be awsome too. as for the whol "balance" thing it all could work, snappers just allitle bit faster, but if your on foot they are still beatable, and if you arent strong enough to fight;tough shit. that was how it was in g1

2 shields, it all could work too. like in morrowind, you wouldent controll your shield but your charactor would automatially react and block acordinally(of course you would need training and levels to be able to block cetain attacks) and the game would still be difficult, the shield could break or your opponent could quikly nock your shield to your side and stab you.

3 and last, fishing just admitt it, it would be cool
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:25 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Fishing would be cool. Of course, then you'd have to add a few fish!
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:13 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I don't think Gothic needs any of those things. No game I've ever played, no matter how good, has come close to Gothic. Why mess with the already perfect gameplay? The only thing in the whole game that I think could have used a little work was the trade interface.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:15 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I agree Gig, Gothic is awesome, but its definatly not perfect, no game is and no game ever will be. But that doesnt mean you shouldnt ask for perfection as a gamer and strive to achieve perfection as a developer.

Shields would definatly be a nice addition to Gothic, allthough I dont think the Morrowind system is the way to go, considering combat is more complicated in Gothic compared to Morrowind.

Mounts might be a nice addition as previously discussed here.

Hmmm, lol, I cant really think of anything else atm, I intended to list a lot of things that I would be nice improvements in my mind, but I cant come up with anything atm

Oh well, theres plenty of other threads listing what people think would be improvements.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:29 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

i think shields would mess up the combat system, but they would be a nice addation to armour, even if you couldnt use them

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:33 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Why would shields mess up the combat?, I think it could even enhance the combat, instead of blocking with your sword, you would block with your shield when you make the defense pose.

And then from that pose you could make a special attack move etc.
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:53 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Dybbuk
Why would shields mess up the combat?, I think it could even enhance the combat, instead of blocking with your sword, you would block with your shield when you make the defense pose.

Or you can just use both.. Most 2handers can deal quite a powerful blow, you know..
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:19 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah of course you could still block with a sword if you dont have a shield, however a sword blocking could be slightly less effective, like it takes a little while to recover from a sword block but with a shield block you could conter attack more away.

This would mean you would have to make a choice, go with a one handed weapon (generally weaker then 2-handed weapons ofc) and a shield or go with a powerful 2-handed weapon only.

That way the points spent on 1-handed weapon wouldnt be a complete waste once you get access to the 2-handed weapon skill.
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:47 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

YES I want much more advanged combat system please.The perfect one would be in Blade of Darkness(bloody great game btw), plus if devs would just add all the gore as well, I would be in heaven:)
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:30 am
Esrohnoil
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmm.... and what about fighting with two one-handed weapon simultaneously?

- Demons rules the body, but the soul never break within...

- "There's still hope..."
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:02 pm
Ork_porK
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

that would be cool. remember in gladiator the scissor decapitation? gothic should have ridable creatures, not too sure about shields though, and double one hand swords...well...YA!!!
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:07 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
Originally posted by Dybbuk

And then from that pose you could make a special attack move etc.

it would totally change the controls, and i liked the controls in gothic 1, and i liked blocking with my sword (no matter how unresponsive it would be). also the whole the-controls-were-too-complicated-in-gothic-1 would come back to haunt the pirhanas tenfold

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:43 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

It would be cool with a shield. Instead of blocking with the sword you would block with the shield if you had one. Cool!

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:29 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next