Minions of Mirth Revealed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Minions of Mirth Revealed

<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com" target="_blank">RPG Codex</a> has uncovered a new indie development titled <a href="Massively Single Player" target="_blank">Minions of Mirth</a> from Prairie Games with an impressive feature list and the intriguing description of "Massively Single Player gameplay". The open-source devlopment has some amazing art, which you can check out by following the link along with a gameplay video. Here's the feature list:<blockquote><em>+ Massively Single Player gameplay!!!
<br>+ 15 character careers from 3 character archetypes. Multiclass characters with primary, secondary, and tertiary class
<br>+ 8 playable character races
<br>+ 16 incredible zones to explore
<br>+ A persistent world where your actions have lasting effects
<br>+ Over 10,000 frames of rendered game graphics!!!
<br>+ Alignment system for playing either a good or evil character ...
<br>+ Epic battles rage across the land... you can fight for either side and the outcome of the battle can affect quests, etc
<br>+ Immersive first person gameplay!
<br>+ Slick game GUI that never gets in your way
<br>+ Quest system supporting multiple quest and reward items as well as triggered events
<br>+ Bounty system dynamically generates bounties for you to hunt ... bounty rewards can be money and items!
<br>+ Vendors across the land selling many assorted goodies
<br>+ Track monsters from great distances
<br>+ Melee and ranged combat
<br>+ Vast outdoors (oceans, mountains, jungle, forests), sprawling dungeons, and zones that mix the two!
<br>+ Various modes of transport including boats and airships.
<br>+ Full blown weather system with climates, seasons, cloud cover and varying precipitation!
<br>+ Day and night cycles, with monster spawns and world events tied to time of day. Beautiful star gazing at night!
<br>+ Many types of flora and fauna
<br>+ Players have many wearable inventory slots, quick slots, carry slots, and a vault to store game items
<br>+ Phat Lewt! Robust game items with stats, spell effects, procs, special flags like artifact/indestructible,
<br>usage requirements/recommendations, and a nifty bonus/penalty system...
<br>+ Game items may also have quality associated with them from Crappy, Shoddy, Normal, Superior, Exceptional.
<br>+ Hundreds of spells... including combat, pet/monster/item summoning, etc .. spell effects include levitation, blindness, paralysis, charming, etc
<br>+ Level cap of 100 with over 80 character skills!
<br>+ Full engine + game source code available for modding
<br>+ Compatible with Windows + MacOSX
<br>+ Cooperative (and PVP) multiplayer coming in 2005</em></blockquote>Some comments from the developer can be found in <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4607" target="_blank">this</a> thread at RPG Codex.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:13 pm
JRitter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Being an avid RPGDot reader and one of the 2 developers on Minions of Mirth, this is a GREAT news item to see!!!

It's been a personal milestone to be listed on this fine site.

-Josh Ritter
http://www.prairiegames.com
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:23 pm
2ndlife

hmmm seems the graphics are a bit outdated, still seems very a nice game. i like big epic RPG's like morrowind. hope this game works out
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:56 pm

kalthorak

i watched the gameplay video and i liked it a lot, although the graphic isn't the best one. But I haven't the best computer, either.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:19 pm

Don't forget the revolutionary 2D monsters.

Haven't seen the likes of this since MM8.

Not that I care; still looks good to me.

- nSCOURGE.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:28 pm

mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

ommercial computer games nowadays have massive teams of graphic artists, which independant developers are never going to have. So, yeah, the animation looks a bit clunky, but I think the graphics themselves look pretty good. Besides I'd much rather they plowed their time and effort into the game itself rather than wiz-bang visuals.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one. Hoping for some actual role-playing as well as all that "Phat-lewt"....
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:19 pm
Kharn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Minions of Mirth Revealed

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
<a href="Massively Single Player" target="_blank">Minions of Mirth</a>

Yer links broken there, Dhruin ol' buddy

Game sure does look interesting. I like small-scale works, as most of the things that the bigger companies are producing don't look...well...interesting
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:53 pm
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Graphics are an extra for me when it comes to crpgs. Sure it'd be best to have a fantastic in-depth rpg experience AND have top of the line graphics, but that almost never happens. If a company has to sacrifice something in an rpg due to budget constraints the graphics should be the first thing to go.

Jeff Vogel's/Spiderweb's indie games are better rpg's than a lot of the big budget titles out there with nice graphics. And this game "looks" better than they do already. I just hope it's as good as it sounds...and that it gets finished.

I think the future of REAL crpg's is in the hands of indie developers and smaller (effectively indie) european, russian, & asian developers. So this game will be getting my support (unless it sucks of course).
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:59 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

That is impressive list of game features, just like AAA titles from big game studio. Hopefully they can pull it off.

Any in-game screenshots?.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:07 pm

pretty cool

I just watched the video. It's pretty cool. I really liked the big battle scene at the end. I've been waiting fo a game that had something like that. I wish you the best of luck with it. When the game is ready, will it be available for download? Or sold thru the stores?
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:59 pm

Dhruin

(D'Oh! Thanks, Kharn. )

Apparently this is just six months work, which is simply amazing. Presumably the animations are placeholders but the environmental graphics are fantastic, especially given a pre-alpha view from a *small* dev. Already the video reveals a sense of scale and height, weather, boats, horses and large-scale battles.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:13 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

It's even more amazing when you take into account that this is based on the Quake II engine (heavily modified obviously as outdoor environments and Q2 didn't mix too well as far as I remember) . There's just one thing I found a little disturbing about the video: The scene with the ship. The sail is not even moving an inch but the ship is going at full speed. You guys need to add a full-blown sail animation or something like that .
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:26 pm
JRitter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the comments!!!

We want to make a fun game... again, we are 2 people... that's 1, 2... some people are going to LOVE the game... some people are going to SCORN the game... that's the way it goes... The thought is: If we have fun playing the game it's "right"...

MoM isn't a launch, maybe patch/maybe not, and then quickly forget it "AAA" title. This is what we are doing... it is ALL we are doing...

quote:
The sail is not even moving an inch but the ship is going at full speed.

Actually, the sail is rippling, it's just hard to see in the video. I also had an old logo on the sail that I quickly replaced with an ugly texture, that doesn't show the animation at all, right before shooting the video...

-Josh Ritter
http://www.prairiegames.com[/quote]
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:49 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Very interesting. Was it my settings, or was there no sound with the movie? I'll definitely be following this game, both here and at your web site, which I have bookmarked. I wish you well with this game, it's been added to my list. I love to support small Indie developers.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:22 am
too lazy to log in

Hmm...

I'm kinda sceptical. I doubt that an indy team is capable of pulling off a project of this scale and maintaining a sufficient level of quality. I always thought that if an indy team wants to produce a good game, they should stick to the gameplay and story, rather than graphics and other multimedia frills. It's impossible to compete against larger companies when it comes to eye candy, so a small indy team gets stuck trying to make their engine looks nice, and eventually they end up having neither a good engine nor good gameplay.

Personally, I would like indies try to make games similar to Planescape or Fallout, rather than to Morrowind. The former are definitely doable with the current state of technology and provided an indie team has enough talent and expertise. While the former, imo, are impossible for indies to do.
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:46 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next