Early Impressions?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Early Impressions?

Thinking about getting the game. What are the dialogue, plot, and characters like so far? Music? Graphics don't matter much to me.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:26 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

DD is great!

I come from the era of Ultima on my Apple II and Bard's Tale on my Commodore 64, so I've seen a lot of CRPGs in my day.

Divine Divinity is like a hybrid of 4 types of other CRPGs I can think of.

Diablo II/Dungeon Siege - because of the way monsters, weapons/armor, spells/skills, and statistics are handled.

Bauldur's Gate - because of the way the storytelling is done and the level of dialog with NPCs.

Neverwinter Knights - because of the efficiency and elegance (as well as polish) of the user interface.

... and for the best part...

Ultima VII/Ultima VII part II - because of the level of object and world interaction available, as well as the way inventory and containers are implemented. While Arx Fatalis, and to a lesser extent, Gothic, have seemed to revitalize the concept of high levels of object and world interaction, Divine Divinity out does those games in this area.

I find it refreshing that after 10 years, some developers finally realized that bashing open a barrel being the only way to interact with the only interactable object just isn't that exciting anymore.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:56 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

For me, it's a nominee for RPG of the year.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:30 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Neptiofpovar sums it up well. This game really is enjoyable.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:13 pm
twistedllama
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

promising?

Well i bought the game because it seems to be a diablo clone without the problems and limitations of diablo. (yes i know its a hybrid meaning more than one game so dont flame) it keeps promising to be more than just a hack and slash. i have completed the first 4 and working on the 5th level of the first dungeon, killed all that can be killed thus far. but it seems still just hack and slash. I am trusting that once i leave the village and search for more quests i will be happier.. but for the beginning level this seems to be taking forever.

All in all the game is good. it could use the multiplayer aspect of diablo. All in all good game especially from a person who after hundreds of dollars in diabloesque games i am actually happy with this one.

so take my 2 cents and put it tward your purchase.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:26 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Gods grant me strength. It shall be mine before nightfall. Thanks to all who replied here, your words have convinced me. And Rendelius, your comments are much appreciated. Nominee for RPG of the year says a lot.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:32 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@twistedllama: It gets better the farther you go. The action stays hot and you get more interesting quests, like blowing up a supply depo and poisoning a well.
The wishing well is a nice touch to the game as well.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:53 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I really look forward to this game and I am planning to buy it... If only I will have enough time for all good games that came out during my military service :].
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:15 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Honestly, when i first heard that a small developer Larian Studios is developing a CRPGs called Divine Divinity, i am skeptical it would be a good CRPGs. But at last, Divinity delivered a lots of pleasant surprise!.

Below is my comments several aspects (it's just my early impression).

Gameplay: i think this is Divinity's strongest aspect; a) plenty of action or monsters to kill and b) yet maintain a big amount of stories and relevant quests for main plot and thus very little amount of "fetching quests" c) a large number of interaction with game world like reading books, talk to many NPCs (with quite a different numbers of dialog available for each NPCs), put poison on your weapons, create a potions with alchemy skill, kill a animals to get food, etc. Personally i think Divinity is far better than Dungeon Siege (i do like combats in DS, but i'm dismayed when almost every living things in DS prefer to throws themselves at me rather than talks to me). d) Another plus point is a very good skills development system in Divinity. One of the aspects that Diablo 2 that impressed me is the interesting skills development, and Larian successfully implemented it in Divinity. The skills system also let you easily customize you character class according to your own taste even though early on you need to choose as a Warrior, Survivor or Mage.

Graphic: nothing spectacular here, pretty much like Diablo 2 or Baldur's gate 2. Overall it does a good job for the game. Same with spells effects, although i do like a more visually impressive spells. Also prefer more weather effects - for examples storm, flash of thunder, heavy rain. More variety for outdoor areas' graphic/scenery like desert or swamp, but since i haven't finish the game or seen all the places, i can't say much...

Sound: Music is good, each areas with different themes (although not as good as Morrowind, IWD 1 & BG2), i especially like the music in taverns which capable of conveying the relaxing/welcoming atmosphere. Sound effects - decent, need more variety like opening doors, sound of hitting enemies with different armors or using different weapons. Voice acting - mixed bag, some really good, some not so good.

Overall: It seem Larian Studios successfully combined various good elements from various CRPG titles in Divinity, so it should appeal to wide range of CRPGs player out there. Recommended for all CRPG gamers and agree with Rendelius - good enough as nominee for CRPG of the year!. Plus, your computer are very likely won't choke on DiVinity as it would be with Morrowind.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:16 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Early Impressions

I never played Diablo so I can't say whether this game is like that one. I'm having a real good time with it so far though. You create a character from warrior/mage/thief(survivor). What class you choose really only affects what you'll naturally be better at doing. I picked a mage and his spell points go up much quicker than a warriors. However, my vitality sucks comparitively The game is extremely combat intensive compared to most crpgs. I'm guessing I might have killed over 1000 creatures in the first dungeon, which is huge BTW. Although playing a mage, I have chosen to take a great number of survivor skills. My character plays like the archer class in Might and Magic games. Good with bows and spells. I have no weapon proficiencies at all, and I can win most fights with a dagger that has fire damage added to it. This is at normal level. I think there are 3 levels of difficulty.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:07 pm
modboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

great review goofygoldfish!

<scribbles notes to remind self on how to write a decent review and not hypeaholic dribble>

I can't help it.. I can't stop thinking about this game... I turn into a raving lunatic whenever I have to describe it to someone else.

must...lower...caffeine... intake...
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:42 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I strongly recommended to try it.

It reminds me Arcanum.
Post Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:03 pm