DreamFall Interview & Screenshots @ RPGVault
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

DreamFall Interview & Screenshots @ RPGVault

This just in...<a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/512/512726p1.html" target="_blank">RPGVault</a> has revealed a very in-depth, 5 page interview Funcom's with Ragnar Tornquist regarding the sequel to Funcom's popular hit, "The Longest Journey"...
<br>
<br><blockquote><em>Jonric: How is Dreamfall related to The Longest Journey? Given the name change, it looks like it's not a direct sequel. Is this an accurate assessment?
<br>
<br>Ragnar Tornquist: It's not a sequel, but it's definitely a follow-up. The Longest Journey was a self-contained story with a beginning, middle and end. In that game - a traditional point and click adventure - you played April Ryan, an 18 year old girl who was suddenly told she was the only one who could save the world, and had to make some huge sacrifices in order to do so. In Dreamfall, which takes place a decade later, you'll find out what happened to April after she went through this whole ordeal and lost everything, so in that sense it's a sequel; it continues her story. The game's main storyline, however, is new, and it follows a new protagonist, Zoe Castillo, as she becomes involved in a huge conspiracy.
<br>
<br>Of course, during the course of the story, you'll meet characters from the first game, and the two games will be linked in a way that will make sense to those who've played The Longest Journey, without alienating new players</em></blockquote>
<br>
<br>Most definitely a very interesting interview:-)
Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:10 am
SintekIsTooLazyToLogin

Woo!

Though we lovers of TLJ have been clamoring for a sequel since shortly after the original's release, it's unfortunate my excitement is marred by anxiety - that is, will it be a pure adventure like the first, or will the suits put down the iron fist and make the developer add platformer and action sections to broaden the market appeal?

Of course I'll still buy it, if only to see the rest of April's story.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:14 am

SintekIsTooLazyToLogin

Woo! 2

I probably should have read the actual article before responding.

"Dreamfall is an action adventure game in the truest sense of the word, with plenty of action and a whole lot of adventuring."

Bleh.

R.I.P (again) Adventure genre.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:18 am

Why is adventure and "action" supposed to be alienated. Indiana jones is considered a great adventure movie, yet it has puzzles and action. They are melded together seamlessly.

Anyone that say RIP adventure games is making probably one of the most misinformed statement. The adventure company makes tons of "cheap" adventure games and is making a profit... While many companies are shunning the adventure format. I do not think they are dead, but rather in a period of reinvention. Broken Sword 3 is ane example of what people are trying to do with the adventure game. Just because a game has action elements doesn't mean it's going to be a platformer.. Ragnar has already stated it's not a platformer.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 6:58 am

fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Funny you should mention Broken Sword 3 since that game is the prime example of how the action elements in these "action adventure" titles are ruining the adventure aspect of the games.

The story is mediocre compared to the first 2 Broken Sword games and after the second box moving "puzzle" I was stifling a yawn (yet there was at least 20 more of those in wait for me).

The, fortunately, few reflex action sequences like the one at the beginning with Nico and the killer gets old REALLY fast when you can't skip the dialogue and have to play through the same sequence over and over again.

The inclusion of poorly designed and executed sneaking sequences almost had me throw away the game in disgust but since I had been stupid enough to actually pay for the game I'd be damned if I would throw it away before I at least finished it (in hind sight I should just have tossed it out the window right away).

The main problem with these "action adventure" games is that instead of the developers focusing on 1 engine and then spending most of their effort on creating a great story with interesting puzzles, they often have to focus on several different smaller engines/action puzzles that all need so much attention and time that the end result is a "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of mediorce game that can only be described as "Bleh!"
Post Wed May 12, 2004 8:23 am
RaMa

You obviously have no idea what kind of company Funcom is, what kind of team the Dreamfall team is and what kind of person Ragnar Tørnquist is. They're not going to make this an typical action-adventure. This is just a term they use because there is no word to describe a game with the new kind of gameplay Dreamfall will feature. I reccommend you all read this preview at Adventure Gamers:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=377
Although this still hasn't convinced everyone, it does clearly state that this is not going to be anything like BS3. Neither will you need to have Counter-Strike reflexes or any of that kind for the action parts, which will rarely consist out of fighting, but more often out of jumping, climbing, etc. And all the action sequences are automatic. The only thing you have to do is to choose whether or not, and if yes, which action to use.

Dreamfall will be something you've never even seen before, so don't judge the game by comparing it to others.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 9:53 am