Elder Scrolls 3: Oblivion (Xbox 360) - Bethesda on no-HDD Xb
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 3: Oblivion (Xbox 360) - Bethesda on no-HDD Xb

With the recent news that the Xbox 360 will ship with versions that have a hard drive and versions that don't, GameInformer contacted Bethesda to ask <a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200508/N05.0817.1800.09580.htm" target="_blank">how Oblivion will fair without a hard drive</a>. The answer isn't exactly a surprise:<blockquote><em>Bethesda, maker of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for Xbox 360, has previously boasted considerable use of the hard drive for its massive RPG. Many gamers are wondering if they can still play Oblivion if they purchase the hard drive-free Core System. We contacted Bethesda directly to find out. <br> <br>"We've known since day one that there would be versions of the 360 without a hard drive, so Oblivion will still work on every 360," assures Todd Howard, executive producer at Bethesda. "That being said, Oblivion takes full advantage of the hard drive and uses it extensively, so we'd certainly recommend that everyone gets one."</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:39 am
r3dshift

hehe, "Oblivion" is the 4th installment of the Elder Scrolls saga...
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:40 am

r3dshift

thanks for the correction...

... also (and I don't mean to be a bad-ass here), it's "fare" rather than "fair" in line 2.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:46 am

TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Blah

When you can pick up a Western Digital Caviar 20GB Hard Drive for $38.00 at retail, I wonder why MS couldn't just bundle a hard drive with each and every Xbox360 and thus avoid all the confusion for both consumers and developers with the whole, 'does this need the hard drive' chaos.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:31 pm
Znith
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Blah

I just picked up an 80 giger for $30 after rebates. As cheap as hard drives are now a days it's really silly of them to even think of not including it in the $299 package. I'd think a 20 gig would run maybe $20 if that much. Plus20 gigs isn't much space at all in todays gaming world.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMadGamer
When you can pick up a Western Digital Caviar 20GB Hard Drive for $38.00 at retail, I wonder why MS couldn't just bundle a hard drive with each and every Xbox360 and thus avoid all the confusion for both consumers and developers with the whole, 'does this need the hard drive' chaos.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:50 pm

MS is going with mobile HDDs. That's why the cost of them is a bit higher then standard ones. The reason why they went with mobile ones is they are quitier and produce less heat.

From the research I've done in the X360 the HDD MS is going with is also a non-standard mobile drive. They commissioned a HDD manufacturer to design a speical HDD for their console.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:07 pm

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:

I'm sure MS could get a very nice deal on cheap. low-capacity hard drives if they wanted, considering the massive numbers they can commit to buying. But don't you think they'd rather have your extra $100 than give them away for free?
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:56 pm
Ressillion

quote:
Originally posted by yeesh
quote:

I'm sure MS could get a very nice deal on cheap. low-capacity hard drives if they wanted, considering the massive numbers they can commit to buying. But don't you think they'd rather have your extra $100 than give them away for free?

If you actually read the specs on each, you will see that there is more to Xbox 360 Platinum than just a hard drive. People should read the specs before saying that Microsoft is charging $100 for a HD.

Still way cheaper than any computer I could build to play Oblivion.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:42 am

Shido

quote:
Originally posted by Ressillion
If you actually read the specs on each, you will see that there is more to Xbox 360 Platinum than just a hard drive. People should read the specs before saying that Microsoft is charging $100 for a HD.

Still way cheaper than any computer I could build to play Oblivion.

I agree. That's why I'll be getting the $400 priced one. Buying everything in the bundle would cost well over the extra $100 over the basic system. The HDD alone is MSRP at $60. Hell, buying the basic system and you'll still have to spend $40 on a memory card just so you can save your games. It's more cost effective to just buy the $400 priced bundle in the long run.

BTW, that was me that posted the comment about the X360s HDD. I forgot to add my name.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:19 am

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:

Oh, I read the specs alright. I actually just now added up all the MSRPs on the accessories that will come with the $399 version, and guess what? You get $440+ worth of accessories! That must mean that you actually MAKE money on every single premium XBox 360 you buy! Maybe I should order 500,000 and retire on my riches...

Or...

Or maybe the MSRP is completely arbitrary and doesn't actually reflect the value of an item, particularly when you're talking about $40 component cables and $20 "chill" faceplates.

I figure it's one or the other, but I'm not educated enough to make the call.

It seems to me, although I'm just a simple man, that the biggest selling point of the $399 version is in fact that hard drive, and I think it's safe to assume that if the $299 one came with an HD of its own, the more expensive version's other exciting accessories would not be nearly so compelling. I in fact would go so far as to say that this is precisely the reason that the $299 one does not have a hard drive, which of course was the point of my original post. So in a sense, I think a lot of people will indeed be paying $100 for that hard drive, and I don't think Microsoft minds.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:30 am
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
MS is going with mobile HDDs. That's why the cost of them is a bit higher then standard ones. The reason why they went with mobile ones is they are quitier and produce less heat.

From the research I've done in the X360 the HDD MS is going with is also a non-standard mobile drive. They commissioned a HDD manufacturer to design a speical HDD for their console.

This may also be so that people don't put their own HDDs in the machine like people do with hacked XBoxes.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:34 am