View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Middle Earth Online begun (again!)

I got this off the boards at RPGVault for your perusal:

"Topic: Greetings and LOTR MMORPG news...
LOTRsChris
Title: Middle Earth Online
Date Posted: 9/5 9:12pm Subject: Greetings and LOTR MMORPG news...
Hello there!

My name is Chris Taylor, and I work for Black Label Games/Universal Interactive on our Tolkien titles. Our games are based on the books.

Just wanted to drop a quick note letting you know that we are working on a LOTR based MMORPG. The final title of the game hasn't been decided (I saw some confusion in another thread and I wanted to clear that up.) I refer to it as MEO (Middle-earth Online), but it's also been called LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online). Over the next couple of months, we'll settle on the real name.

We're still very far off from release, and lots of things are changing under the hood (so to speak), so we can't say a lot about the game at this point. However, I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible to the limit of my ability and what I'm allowed to talk about.

I'm not any more familiar with the previous incarnations of MEO than a fan (I followed it like many people did), so that particular topic is pretty much off limits. Also, I'd like to keep away from talks about the competition, but only because I really respect what other teams do and somehow those conversations never go right...

My background is primarily in design, which is why I'm producing now. I worked for Interplay for many years (on Stonekeep, Fallout, Starfleet Command and others). I did work on a couple MMORPGs that Interplay wanted to launch, but they never really got off the ground. My personal online experience starts in the mid 1980s, in the Apple // BBS world. I started playing online RPGs in the late 80s, and MUDed way, way too much in the early 90s. (I was Skuz on Genesis for a couple of years.) I'm currently playing EQ, and have tried all the major MMPs. We're very thankful for EQ and UO for opening the door for MMORPGs, but we are committed to not just making a clone of those games with different characters and graphics.

I think we have something really neat planned for you. And neat is good!

pax,
-Chris
-----signature-----

Chris Taylor
Associate Producer, Tolkien Products
Black Label Games/Universal Interactive
"Oft hope is born, when all are forlorn." "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now from Ammon777,

I dont know about this. Last time they started MEO they canned it prematurely and fired the entire staff... so everyone is kind of *sic* hopeful but cautious about this project. If they cancel it again I will be very disappointed. I am soooo wanting to go to the Lonely Mountain, hehe.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:07 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Let the hype begin!
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:38 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

As you can see on the RPGDot news page, Middle Earth Online is now officially re-begun! WOOT WOOT! I cant wait to explore Mirkwood!

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:58 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

*sigh*
I hope it does it (the book) justice, I doubt it will though.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:10 am
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

any news???

first person or third person, (what ever happened to second person perspective????)

does anyone know anything??
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:39 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Too early still. All there is about the game so far is a quick interview with the guy who's heading the team (forget his name... the guy behind Dungeon Siege...) and a Press Release. They don't even have a web site for the game yet
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:39 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
(forget his name... the guy behind Dungeon Siege...)

Chris Taylor, but actually a different Chris Taylor than did Dungeon Siege.

-vaticide
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:53 pm
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

does anyone have any ideas about a release date, sometime away yet i guess!
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:47 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

My guess would be 2004 at the earliest. I am basing this wholly on the fact that I haven't heard enough about it for it to be this year.

-vaticide
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:43 pm
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

ho hum, i'll for get about this one for a bit then
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:54 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
My guess would be 2004 at the earliest. I am basing this wholly on the fact that I haven't heard enough about it for it to be this year.

-vaticide

They have no engine, no concept art, no web site, no class system... Yeah, 2004 would be a good guess. I would even go further and say end of 2004 because I doubt a game of this magnitude would take less than 2 years to make.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:04 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Amen. It might even be 2005 if they make it good enough that tolkien himself would approve (and i hope they do, otherwise i will be very very very mad, and tolkien will be mad also).
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:37 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I assume you mean his son, Christopher Tolkien, who handles his estate since "Tolkien himself" is regretably long dead.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:11 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

to be truthful answer, i meant that the dead know what the living are doing, and hence tolkien knows about the movies, the games, ect. but thats just a personal belief and might not have any bearing on truth at all. hence the expression "he rolled over in his grave" could be an actual event. the only way we will really know is to die and see for ourselves. until then, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE, as they say on X-Files, with this additional phrase (which is mine) BUT WE DONT KNOW IT YET. scared yet? i'm not.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm