Just got "Gothic 1" and installed on my PC:

Windows XP SP1 + all latest updates
AMD Xp1800+ CPU (FSB@133)
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP mobo
768Mb DDR 333Mhz RAM
Sparkle 64Mb GeForce 3 Ti200 AGP
Creative SB Live! Player 5.1
60Gb Western Digital HDD (1 month old!)
DirectX 8.1 (shipped with windows), SB drivers that shipped with card (can't find any newer ones), nVidia UDA 41.09 (just rolled back from latest drivers; didn't work either)

Have installed game and variously tried different screen resolutions, reduced viewing distance, tweaked card settings on desktop, disabled sound in .INI file... nothing works! Seems like a great game but just can't get it to run for more than 10 minutes without it crashing to the desktop. Has occaisionally rebooted the machine as well!!!

Have read through the BBS, downloaded the 1.08k patch and still the same problem! Any suggestions? Really don't know what to try - apart from re-installing XP (NOOOOOO!!!).
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:11 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Set the sound to DirectSoundHW and disable reverb. This setting is definitely compatible the SBLive! .
Do you get any error messages after the crash? Maybe one has been copied to the clipboard.
Are you 100% sure _all_ other programs are closed, all viri killed and all spyware removed? This includes Office indexing and your firewall.

Did you check the CPU temperature immediately after a crash?
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:22 pm
judgecartman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK. Get error messages and have tried to email "support@piranha-bytes.com" and constantly get "unresolvable mail recipient" messages. Presume they don't exist/ offer support for this as 2 years old.

Error messages mostly (sorry haven't got one in clipboard still) seem to be about code that appears related to graphics commands/ instructions. Will save some for next time if you want them posted/ emailed. FWIW, "Access Violations" _ALWAYS_ say that something at XXXXXX tried to read something at XXXXXX, which caused the fault.

Have already got sound settings as you suggest from forum postings yesterday. No joy. Have noticed that after crash (when "Access Violation" message is generated on screen) that sound carries on until WinXP prompts me to send an error report (which I have done, and it told me that my Modem driver was to blame, so I duly changed driver as instructed - no change, 'cept modem doesn't work as well!)

No other "Programs" running. Plenty of "Services" though. AVG 6.0 and modem (V92) apps closed before running Gothic. Have disabled XP Firewall in Admin tools anyways, haven't done search for Spyware though. Will look at again and report tomorrow.

Many thanks for your time & help.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:31 pm
judgecartman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

PS: Only got MS Word & Excel - Office disabled in "msconfig>startup" - CPU temp at steady 51/ 52c after crash/ several hours use. "Cold start" temp usually around 42/43c, never seen it rise above 51/ 52c even after many hours constant running.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:36 pm