RPGDot Network    

Fallout: The Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Morrowind crashes my computer!!!!(>:|)HELP!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Morrowind crashes my computer!!!!(>:|)HELP!

Everything was great for a couple weeks, but now the program shuts down my machine after, oh, a half hour of playing. When I start up Morrowind again, the Program is seriously corrupted. Then U reinstall EVERYTHING, to no avail...

1 Ghz Duron
GeFoerce2 Ultra
512mg RAM
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Win2K
Morrowind official Bethesda plugins [/img][/code]

Last edited by non-euclid on Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:54 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

have you tried the patch.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:58 am
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes

sure have
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:38 am
CharlieGuest

Computer shuts down?

You say the computer "shuts down"? Do you mean it goes through a Windows "Please Wait While Your Computer..." cycle, or does the screen just go black and it reboots?

If it's just going black and rebooting, I'd guess you're having over-heating problems. Check first that your CPU and graphics card fans are working properly, and feel how warm the air being blown out the back of the PSU is.

Morrowind seems to stress hardware quite comprehensively - if you're overclocking anything try reverting to stated clock speed. If you're not overclocking, try getting some more air in there, or try *underclocking* your hardware.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:52 pm

Frankie

same problem

The problem is most likely the SB5.1 card!
After i changed the setting in the dxdiag from full acceleration to normal, its not crashing anymore... Also use software emulation in the Morrowind options, not the hardware.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:16 pm

non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The computer just reboots, no "please wait..." or anything pleasant. The CPU fan works fine, as does everything else.
It's not the sound card either, I tried that one.
Everything was fine for 3 weeks, then I upgraded the CPU and the sound card. It still ran fine for another week. On friday I uninstalled that 'FRAMERATE BOOST - "unofficial patch"' that Jamison posted (I couldn't get it to do anything) in May. That was the beginning...
Now everytime I reinstall Morrowind, I get a new, bizarre corruption: the map gets wiped, or landscape texture don't load and turn white, a couple times it was so bad I couldn't even load a freakin' game (or start a new one).
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:34 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

You might still have old drivers from your earlier craphics card, that messes your system up, i had that kind of problem once when i changed to totally different craphics card, and since i couldn't figure which ones to remove, i made big F to my c- drive and started all from fresh, just my thoughts.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:07 am
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

U said u upgraded processor and sound card, well some of your new hardware might not be "getting along" with other hardware. Check all your hardware for IRQ conflicts. I never heard for processor conflicts, its probably sound cards fault.

Do you get crashes like this anywhere else than morrowind? It looks like something messed up ur graphics card. I didint had the same problem like you but it was similar and I installed Nvidia drivers version 2.3.1.2 and morrowind works fine now. Try searching the net for drivers version
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:02 pm
Frankie

Sb51

Morrowind was running well with the SBLive1024 card, and when last week i upgraded to SBLive5.1 (moved the other card to my older machine) it started to freeze and reboot... maybe in your case its not the sound card, but for me turning the HW acceleration nearly off helped. One thing for sure, Morrowind drives your hardware to its limits...
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:15 pm

Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I just wanted to add that I had 2-3 crashes per hour with Morrowind both before and after instaling the new patch. But when I changed my sound from Hardware accelerated to Software mode I almost never crash anymore. Sure, the sound gets a little "flat", but.. It still crashes when you reload the game too often though.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:52 pm
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Only morrowind makes it crash. I am also playing Gothic, which is running fine.
Yes, I got the new drivers.IRQs are good.
Changing the sound from hardware to software didn seem to help.

What's really bothering me is:

Why it sarted Friday and not before. Everything was great. Now I will have to erase my backed-up 7 level character (that took me, well, a couple weeks<I don't have THAT much spare time>). And probably reformat my hard drive, because:

I've never seen anything get so corrupted so much so easily.What the hell is up with that?
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:39 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Your computer is doing windows And thats the thing that has no straight answer for help, it could be just when you are drying your socks in wrong time of day, or anything else like that, but windows has strange capability to lose important files sometimes And in that case, only help is format and reinstall all...remembering back up's from important files, like game saves I wish you luck, too bad that i can't help any better
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:22 am
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, I reformatted my hard drive last night and those saved games were probably corrupted to much anyway. Installed new drivers for EVERYTHING.
I hope that's the end to THAT problem...
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:27 pm
zeitgeist
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hm let me get this straight.. you've updated morrowmind with the current patch im assuming.. then you used the 'no cd' executable? i havent been coming to the boards much, but i wasnt aware there was a new no-cd executable for the patched version of morrowmind.. if so, then you are using an unpatched executable for a patched version of morrowmind.. maybe that's causing some problems
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:56 pm
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Actually, I reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled everything, tossed out the old saves, and though I must repeat may hours of the game, am enjoying an improved gaming experience w/o a hitch. (so far). Of course, now I'm afraid to use the plug-ins.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:49 pm