Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The framerates are ridiculous and unacceptable....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Simple the game was released ahead of it's time-forward thinking. If they waited til next year to release it those "current" machine would run it just fine.

Nobody is forcing you to play it.
(why do people act like this is the only game they are allowed to play, if it's that bad wait for a patch or (2) then play it)
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:01 pm
Karhgath

Mamo, I don't think anyone said 9fps is good, lol.

And both of you:
Just slide down some options to get better framerate, heh. I mean, isn't it that hard?

And come one, will it REALLY be more enjoyable if you have sligthly better shadows or much better fog? hehe. Heck, I've been playing games with low-med settings most of my life and I immensily enjoyed them. Yup, you payed a lot for your rig, and have the chance to have lots of high options some people will ever be able to see. Isn't that enough? And I'm sorry to disapoint you, your rig isn't the BEST out there, just short of it, so it's normal you can't put anything at highest.

Is morrowind the ONLY game that you have on your computer? Morrowind wasn't probably made to have ALL options at max at the same time. people have preferences. Some like better shadows, so they'll put shadows at max and other options lower, etc. Heck, the game I'm working on right now, we can't play it at max even with our mighty demo computer. Why? Because in a couple of years, when the game will come out, people will be able to, or might. It doesn't change ANYTHING in the game itself, that you have Full shadows or 7/8 shadows. However, in term of performance, it can change A LOT, even for a small decrease like that. I should know, I've been programming a 3D engine for a RPG.

I'm tired of people whining, for every games that comes out, why is the engine so sucky, I can't play at everything maxed!! Well, just lower some options then!

The problem is when a game REQUIRES a 1.2ghz... Tribes 2 engine was REALLY sucky, lol. It was unplayable even at moderate setting with a top system rig. Now that sucks, hehe. But whining because your rig is at 98% max settings only is, well, stupid.

To get all the max settings in morrowind you probably need to have a really tweaked setting, perfect hardware(brands, connectors, compatibility, etc.), and the latest and fasted pentium and all. And hundreds of other conditions. Once, my friend said he bought a game and it was slow(Medal of Honor I think)... but he was running his anti-virus and kazaa, and photoshop was open with a couple of pictures at the same time the game was runing... I laughed real hard that time =) And once, I had to switch 2 PCI cards to stop a game from crashing... go figure. Computers are so unpredictable, it's hard to say what can and can't run a game at max settings when hundreds of variables can affect it.

You can whine all you want, say how sucky the engine is, but it won't change thet fact that your computer, for hundreds of reasons, can't play it at max settings. Period. Whine all you want, you won't be able to put it at 100% max. Go play and enjoy the game dammit. Think of the people(like me =) who still hasn't the game. Enjoy it for all of us, hehe.

Oh well, now I'm really out of here, hehe.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:09 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Get used to it.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:09 pm

Oh please, stop sucking off Bethesda for a second and open your eyes.....

It's people like you that accept this type of shit from developers, rushed releases, buggy games, bullshit hardware requirements, etc, all for the sake of "gameplay". I am amazed by people who say that graphics don't matter in a game.....what nonsense. Go read a book, I for one want my COMPUTER game to have COMPUTER graphics. It's because of people like you, who are such empty headed fanboys who believe in the infallibility of game developers that we will continue to have these types of games released. I have been eagerly following this game for years, and never, not once did the developers indicate that a top of the line computer, with the game set at a mid-level resolution, would give framerates in the teens...if they had they would have been laughed off their own boards. This game is one notch better then Ultima 9 in terms of technical issues.

Perhaps I am just pissed that I believed the hype, maybe I'm just pissed that fanboys like you are out there bending over for developers....

Regardless, Hopefully the gameplay can overshadow and hopefully this game will be worth the time and effort.....
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:03 pm

hawk71

Just an opinion...

To my thinking (and admittedly my thinking includes the idea the the game *plays* fine at low fps, isn't that what's important? That doesn't mean anyone else might feel justly differently...) I think it was wise to build some future into the engine (eg it will probably run best on a computer that doesn't exist yet). Since they included extensive mod capability the game can "live" for a long time, and really it will just get prettier... So I think that in a couple years this game will not be old or dated, but better. I enjoy it completely right now, somewhat lowered settings and all.

I'm really offering this for people concerned about whether their systems can handle this. I was concerned, but pleased, to find no issues. Note that I am not a "fanboy" nor a Bethesda employee. I'm just impressed.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:26 pm

here is what the developers said 2 years ago about system requirements....
We aren't sure exactly what they'll be, so we haven't announced any yet. We're aiming for the machine that everyone will be using (meaning, most gamers) when the game is released later next year. So, at least the best 3D card out there right now.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:29 pm

Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've played Daggerfall in a 486/66 with 8Mb RAM!!! I can bare with slower framerates in MW lol
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:35 pm
Sledgehammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

no problems here

I was expecting a lot of bugs because of my previous experience with daggerfall, and because of the sheer size and complexity of this game. No other game even comes close to offering the size, openness, and freedom that this does, think about it! I was willing to live with any bugs, but I have been playing Morrowind for almost 20 hours now, and i've had great performance, no (0) crashes, and I'm having fun! Did I get a different copy of the game than everyone else?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:36 pm
Hawk71

Why I mever read forums...

Quote: top of the line computer, with the game set at a mid-level resolution, would give framerates in the teens...

So then my mid-range computer with 3/4 graphice settings runs better then yours? That's unfortunate, and makes me wonder about the circumstances of your machine. Still though, hardly reason to get nasty with everyone.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:39 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Why I mever read forums...

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk71
So then my mid-range computer with 3/4 graphice settings runs better then yours? That's unfortunate, and makes me wonder about the circumstances of your machine. Still though, hardly reason to get nasty with everyone.

It is old and well known thing that performance on different PC with very similar hardware can be very different.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:04 pm
Quasimo

I don't understand the problem...

Don't know if your aware but the models have an unprecedented 5,000 or so poly's.

This game is TOP-OF-THE-LINE folks.

Personally, I would rather have a game that utulized all my current system with room to grow down the road then play with an old Quake III engine. This way, I can boot it up in 2 years and it will still rock. It's called shelf life.

Would you rather the designers not provide the options to crank the details as much just so you can play at MAX settings?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:15 pm

Re: Why I mever read forums...

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk71

It is old and well known thing that performance on different PC with very similar hardware can be very different.

No dispute at all with that. Driver version, driver conflicts, messy registry, OS version, etc, etc... Not all silicon is even created equally (to which overclockers can attest.) XP Pro and my SB Live! did not get along at all on my system (known issue, no resolution). I'm sure there are issues in Morrowind too, and people have legitimate concerns. It's simply too early to comclude "Morrowind is terrible" based on limited information.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:51 pm

Mltdwn

Hrm here is what I have:

Athlon 1.4 on a KT7A-Raid MB
GeForce 3
Audigy Platinum
512M Ram

Now with everything at high settings and 1024x768 I admittedly get sucky framerates. if I lower the shadows (and ONLY the shadows) down to off or one above off guess what?! I can take it up to the 1600 res ad it works perfect.

But but, Morrowind SUCKS because you can't do it all at high. BS, RtCW does the exact same thing with shadows, so does Ghost Recon, actually every game with real time shadows enabled does this. Hrm... I wonder, is it the game or the technology? You tell me. Personally I think it's just the fact that while our vid cards CAN do real time shadows they ain't that good at it. So it isn't Bethsoft's issue. Just turn down your shadows, or return the game.

-Mltdwn
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:53 pm

Somnus

Bleh

Love it.
Too many sausage-jockeys out there that get offended because a game actually *tests* their top of the range PC.
Of course if you run it at the highest resolution, with all the features on, it'll slow a 2.2ghz cpu and geforce 4 down, I hate to break it to you, but the graphics and detail in the game are the highest that have ever existed. The game isn't broken, or buggy, it just eats up system resources because of what it is.

And no, people aren't 'bending over' for developers, they're just recognizing the effort that has gone into a game that took 3 years to write. It's little slack-jawed prepubescents like you, that have tiny-fisted tantrums because their computer isn't the Cray T3E they seemed to think it is, that do the bending over.

Quit the griping, you lover of veiny bangsticks.

*ahem* Be safe all.

Somnus
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:56 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

LOL nice one Sommus .
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:59 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next