Microsoft Announces Online Gaming Service
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Microsoft Announces Online Gaming Service

Clearly Microsoft's plan to revitalise Windows gaming is to sell more Xbox 360s. Here's Microsoft's latest gaming announcement:<blockquote><em>LOS ANGELES - Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates on Tuesday announced a new cross-platform gaming service that integrates games played on cell phones, <br>Xbox 360 consoles and the upcoming Windows Vista operating system. <br> <br>The "Live Anywhere" service will be available as part of Windows Vista, Microsoft's next-generation PC operating system. The consumer version is scheduled for release early next year. <br> <br>"It means that you have one online community," Bill Gates said in a news conference. "This platform can really unleash developers to do amazing new things." <br> <br>The system would extend the company's existing Xbox Live service for the Xbox 360 console into millions of Internet-enabled PCs and cellular phones. No pricing information on the new service was announced. <br> <br>"The vision here is each platform plays its own role. We really think we're in a unique position," Gates said. "Microsoft is probably the only company that can pull this off." <br> <br>In a demonstration, an Xbox 360 gamer using Live Anywhere was able to send an invitation to a friend on a PC. After the PC user agreed, the two connected for a cross-platform online gun battle. <br> <br>In another example, a race car's stats were modified on a cellular phone, its appearance was edited in a paint program on the PC and then it was raced on a track on the Xbox 360. <br> <br>Microsoft said it has sold about 3.2 million Xbox 360s so far — about half of them are used online. By this time next year, the company expects to have sold 10 million units and have 6 million online subscribers. <br> <br>Microsoft Vice President Peter Moore said the early launch of Xbox 360 gives the company a huge advantage going forward, saying the company was already on the "second generation of the next generation."</em></blockquote>
Post Wed May 10, 2006 12:13 pm
Sid Fynch
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

When will they learn.

PC's and X-boxes are bought by a different demographic. These dollar-sign dreams of every bi-ped on Earth owning a PC and a console will never be.[/i]

"Nature uses as little as possible of anything.”
Johannes Kepler
Post Wed May 10, 2006 12:17 pm

If M$ really wanted to revitalies PC gaming (beside .. i find that term a bit too drammatic .. no matter what you hear .. pc game is well and kicking) they should have done so with a deal with developers making games for the 360 also porting their products on the PC.

The 360 wouldn't lose that much sales if you ask me .. because after all .. the console is still cheaper than a next gen ready PC.

Give it a couple years and you'll have to pay some sort of subscribing fearue like Xbox live if you want to keep playing pc games (with Vista)..

****ing Microsoft
Post Wed May 10, 2006 4:12 pm

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
If M$ really wanted to revitalies PC gaming (beside .. i find that term a bit too drammatic .. no matter what you hear .. pc game is well and kicking) they should have done so with a deal with developers making games for the 360 also porting their products on the PC.

The 360 wouldn't lose that much sales if you ask me .. because after all .. the console is still cheaper than a next gen ready PC.

Give it a couple years and you'll have to pay some sort of subscribing fearue like Xbox live if you want to keep playing pc games (with Vista)..

****ing Microsoft

I wonder if we'll start seeing a resurgence in Mac gaming soon, with how badly Microsoft is fucking up on the PC.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 4:37 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

****ing Microsoft

I think it should be the other way around, PC ports are usually good on consoles, how often are console ports good on PC's?

I haven't played one so far atleast.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 1:15 pm