28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Thread
dualwolf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A fathers problem!!!!

first of all I'd like to say hi peeps!
Does any-one know the best online Morrpg to play as a "solo" game? The reason being I have a 3 year old boy who takes up a lot of my time. I used to play EQ but that involved grouping a lot & it was unfair on my son/ the other players when I had to leave the game to attend him, or because I could only play until I had to pick him up from nursery.
I understand that most (all?) mmorpg's do involve grouping to some point (after all its part of the fun & enjoyment!) but which one depends on grouping the least??
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:46 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd say Asheron's Call. It's game system is most suitable to soloing, but I found the questing part lacking. The graphics are old, so next years expansion should be a big boon to those who have not tried it yet. I played UO so long ago that all I can recall is that PvP made the game for me in both solo and group play, since it is different now, I won't choose it. Everquest requires a major amount of time to get anywhere, even with a group. Without grouping advancing seems non-existent at mid and upper levels. I have not played the other games on the list. DAoC is solo friendly with the right class, but I find the lack of varity in areas to explore and to hunt in make it equaly as boring to solo in as Everquest's time sink makes it for solo play.

I liked AC's character creation and the archery system was a blast. Characters can be easily designed to solo, and the dungeons are alot of fun to explore, althought the graphics are redundent in many dungeons.
Good Luck,
LB
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:01 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Id say Asherons Call also. When i played AC, i played alone 99% of the time. Not that you are alone (you have guilds) though.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:02 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I voted for UO, but then read your post. If you want to let you 3 year old son play ( like I do, for the reason of keeping him out of my hair for a while) I set up DAoC with easy quick keys so he only has to hit one or two...I would say for your 3 year old son DAoC is the easiest. Take DAoC, and map a key to Target nearest, then map a key to Auto Stick, then map a key to auto attack.

This would be easiest for your 3 year old, like mine...I set the keys up so he only had to press 1, 2, 3 and do it again after he killed the mob, then again and again. Kept him out of my hair for about 30 mins at a time.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:00 pm
dualwolf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Kiff !!
I like your idea a lot lol (DAoC, Dark Age of Camelot??))
Will this work with Asherons call 2 do you know? I assume there is little difference in gameplay between that & the first AC.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:11 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I never played AC2, and only played AC for about a week way back when, so I don't remember it's game play mechanics.

DAoC yes thats Dark Age of Camelot. Gabe, my son, always liked to go fight stuff, and it was easy, I just made him a new character and let him run around the newbie area. Made him happy.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:59 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

In my experience most MMORPG can be enjoyed solo, only you HAVE to be mindful of the character you create. For instance, if you play a healer and expect to solo, you're in for a pretty bad ride!

SWG: Nice solo play, just pick a Bounty Hunter, or a creature handler. I haven't played for a while so things may have changed. If so then I'll let someone else correct me

DAoC: Some specific classes are nice to play solo, but you have to be careful about it. Ask around which ones would be best according to your style of play.

Anarchy Online: Very soloable in most cases, only things go by much faster when you group. But all-in-all I think this one is among the top for solo play.

AC2: it's NOT like its older brother... when you get to a certain level you need to group, and it's no fun because there are not a lot of people playing the game...

Most of the games out there can be played solo all the way, only they almost all put you at a disadvantage because it'll take longer for you to level up. If you're willing to brush that off, then almost any game is open to you I think, especially the ones that are coming out in the third generation.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:27 pm
Snome
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've recently started playing ATITD and so far it's perfectly playable solo. Note that it is not your "typical" MMORPG. For one it's combat-less, which has as an advantage (or disadvantage, depending on how you look at it) that there's no pvp. Some of the larger projects (eg pyramid building) require cooperation, but you can contribute in your own time and progress. Of course, all of this is based on two weeks of play so i cant judge the longterm appeal yet. Nevertheless, you might want go give it a try. Another really good feature : you can download the game and play it virtually complete without cost for (i think) 24 hours.
If you decide to try it and need some help, pm me here and i'll contact you in the game . Good luck on finding your thing.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:42 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I played ATITD for over half a year and I knew quiet a few successful soloers. You just need to be active in the local community. Just find a regional guild to join and you're set. You can talk and socialize when you want and be alone when you want. It also makes trade and getting help a lot easier.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:36 pm
Jasmine
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would say UO, when I played it didnt seem to take up too much time and I dont know if they still do it but they used to have a (power hour) which once every 24 hrs. depending on what time you actualy started that game you get extra exp. for that hour,,, it was intended for those who do not have much time to play. Also the leveling is different in that game than most others.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:55 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Two come to mind - one old and one new. UO (as others have said) can be played solo easily. It is, however, very dated graphically and still has some severe lag problems. The new one I would heartily recommend is City of Heroes. While I am a steadfast fan of traditional UO settings, I must say I haven't had so much fun since I started playing CoH. The mission system is very good and allows you to play easily solo.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:23 pm