View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

A new players generic questions

Generic questions:

What advantages do I get from a high skill level in Close Combat vs Sword? Or ranged combat vs bow?

How does the Dual Weapon skill work?

Do I want to spread the experience out? Do you get more skill points to allocate as your levels go up? Right now I am getting 9 per level. Should I move 3 skills up by 3 each or 4 skills by 2 and one by 1?

If my level 4 ranger takes her next level in Ninja do I still get to use the ranger skill that allow automatic searches?

Thanks for your help!
Post Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:35 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Welcome to Wizardry Forum, Lintra

~What advantages do I get from a high skill level in Close Combat vs Sword? Or ranged combat vs bow?~

SWORD: determines the characters ability to hit and to penetrate with sword weapons

CLOSE COMBAT: greater attack success with any close or extended weapon.

(same thing with BOW / RANGED COMBAT)

~How does the Dual Weapon skill work?~
If you want to wield 2 weapons (instead of one weapon and a shield) you need this skill (greater chance to hit).

~Do I want to spread the experience out? Do you get more skill points to allocate as your levels go up? Right now I am getting 9 per level. Should I move 3 skills up by 3 each or 4 skills by 2 and one by 1? ~

Specialize in a few skills first, later you can learn anything you want. Always keep in my mind that many skills can be learned by using them.

~If my level 4 ranger takes her next level in Ninja do I still get to use the ranger skill that allow automatic searches?~

yes, but I recommend: don't change classes - your characters develop better this way.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:15 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by HiddenX
~If my level 4 ranger takes her next level in Ninja do I still get to use the ranger skill that allow automatic searches?~

yes, but I recommend: don't change classes - your characters develop better this way.
Buzzzz! Nope! ONLY a ranger gets the auto-search. You will still have the search skill that will improve you chances when you use the search button at the bottom of the screen, but you will have to use that button, which means no running and a free attack round if a monster notices you. Class changing is very difficult to do well, so I probably wouldn't do it with your first few parties.

Welcome, Lintra. We enjoy fresh meat here. BTW, if otter gives you some advice, chances are it's pretty good. He should be approaching 20 WINS by now.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:44 am
otter
One of Us

# 18 is in Rapax Castle now. Selected Races and Classes by dice rolling:
Gnome Priest, Rawulf Monk, Dwarf Bishop, Elf Ranger, Liz Mage.
About Dual Wield: you get a malus to both weapons if you use 2, so this skill is very important if you want to be effective. I dual wield any character that can develop this skill and isn't using a 2-handed weapon.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:03 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

@Lintra: Regarding the 9 attribute points you can distribute every level up, you should only put points in each characters 2 best attributes (Ex Fighter: Strength and Speed, Mage: Piety and Intelligense) until they reach 100 points. At 100 points ijn any attribute you characters triggers the special skills, which really makes a difference in power, and those "special skills also needs to be developed from 0 to 100, so the earlier you get access to them the earlier you can start develop them, thus you should only put points in each characters 2 best attributes until they are maxed out.

I don't prefer dual wielding, hence the primare weapons (Right hand weapons) are much more powerfull than the (secondary weapons), and using two weapons will divide you number of swings and attacks each round between the 2 weapons, instead of keeping all the swings and attacks with your best weapon, when you only use one weapon. And if you go for the two handed weapons, you save hard earned skill points in both "shield" and "Dual combat". However the "shield" skill is not that bad, it contributes bonus defense to your "overall" armour class, plus gives a quite high chance of blocking any melee attack.

Primary throw skill points into ranged/Close combat instead of bow/sword as they develop much slower, and the bow/sword skills will by extensive use develop relative fast by it self.
Never put skill point in the common misc. skills like "communication" etc.

And yes, don't change classes during the game, many of the skills/spells are also depending on the character level for each profession. Ex: Even though your mage can cast all level spells at level 18, he still needs several levels to cast the highest spell with maximum power without any risk of failure. Your gadgeteer will keep tweeking his gun every 3rd level on high levels, and get better and more secure in using his gadgets, eventhough his engineering skill already are close to 100.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:23 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Thanks for the advice all. I will try to keep it all straight

Now, what are these "special skills" being refered to? I took a pixie mage, and so have concentrated on IQ and Speed.

Have I shot the poor little beastie in the foot special skill wise?
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:57 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

@Lintra:

Expert skills: Automatically obtained when a attribute reach maximum 100 points.

100 Strength => powerstrike skill: To hit and attack rating both melee and ranged except "modern weapon".

100 Intelligense => Power cast skill: Chance for more power in the spells casted.

100 Piety: => Iron will skill: Adds to magical resistance.

100 Vitality => Iron skin: Adds to physical damage resistance (reduce amount of damage taken)

100Dexterity => Reflexion skill: adds to armour class (Chance of getting damage)

100 Speed => Snake speed skill: Adds to initiative, meaning both earlier action in combat, but also additional swings and attacks for weapons.

100 Sense => Eagly eye skill: Adds to ranged combat skills only.

As both attributes "Piety" and "inteligense" contributes to spell points, they should be prefered for most spellcasters. The powercast skill triggered from the max intelligense attribute is also a must for a good mage. The speed skill is also okay for a mage, as they can cast the first spell, and either protect the party, or start making all the opponents ill by any disease or paralysing etc.

Last edited by Michael C on Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:29 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

What about Dexterity? What skill do you get for Dex = 100?
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:42 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Sorry Lintra, made a typo! Have corrected it in the post above!
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:03 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I must've missed the section in the manual that mentions the bonus skills. Thanks.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:18 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

And the hole problem to get your characters maxed out in their best attributed to get the expert skills as fast as possible, has it's roots deep down in your race/profession choice, which have given thoughts to a lot of different combinations and calculations for many gamers. Some of us just love when we need to use hours of thinking before we got the correct party together, and then we play 10-20 hours and start all over with a new party!
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:07 pm
otter
One of Us

Michael C. is incorrect when he says your attacks are divided. You get twice the attacks, depending on the initiative factors of the weapons. That's the whole reason to dual-wield.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:55 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by otter
Michael C. is incorrect when he says your attacks are divided. You get twice the attacks, depending on the initiative factors of the weapons. That's the whole reason to dual-wield.

So dual wielding something very fast, say daggers, could lead to extra attacks per round ... if your dual wield skill is high enough?

My confusion stems from what to do with my thief type. He gets 9 skill points/lvl and is one of my three front line characters. 3 go into lock pick
but then I have to decide how to use the other 6 since the relevent combat skills are:

Dagger
Dual Wield
Close Combat

I would like him to be a whirl wind of daggers (he is a large cat) ... it seems fitting. So should I concentrate on Dual Wield and Dagger skills?
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:07 pm
otter
One of Us

If you're wielding 2 Daggers, your Dagger skill will go up on its own pretty fast if you fight much. If you get 2 handfuls of throwing knives in your alternate slots, Dual Wield will go up on its own that much faster, too.
Usually, the specific weapon skill is the most important in terms of combat, and then Dual, but in your case, just watch them (compared to Close and Ranged) and see how they progress just from fighting. Then you can assign level-up points to the laggards.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:44 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I just want to add that there are two main ways "how to make your party"

- choose classes and best races for them, max. just several atributes to reach expert skills and max them out = you have really powerfull party
- choose races you like for classes you like and use skills you like and use your points for all atributes you want to = you will get not so powerfull party, but probably party you will like even more

P. S.: still there is need to make some racional decissions or you will not be able to play on normal difficulty :]
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:05 pm