Where is Gone Gold forum???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Where is Gone Gold forum???

Been unable to find it for days.........
How786
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:55 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Been down for me too ever since Friday I think. Must be having technical difficulties.
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:24 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm not sure anyone has a clear picture of what happened but as best I can tell, Rich LaPorte pulled the plug. This is *not* absolutely confirmed but is the best picture I can form.

Many readers have moved over to ConsoleGold and there's a number of relevant posts such as:

http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1328

In particular, Stephen (one of the admins), appears to have posted:

quote:
[...]For what it's worth, I had absolutely no idea that anything out of the ordinary was going to happen.

After catching up on email and then these boards (thanks Bill, Peacedog, and Rip), I checked in with EV1 where I had full control to manage the GoneGold account and verified that the EV1 server account has been shut down. This, to me, means one of two things:

* Rich actively contacted EV1 and shut down the service, or
* EV1 shut down the service and would have contacted Rich with the reason

In either case, Rich has been extremely noncommunicative with anyone GoneGold-related in the past months/years, and I think it's fairly obvious that a continuing relationship there is painful/troubling/stressful for him. The site may well have been self-sustaining, but I can imagine him disraught just knowing that it's out there and people are looking for him and he's unable/unwilling to participate. Shutting down the site is a viable option for him, and I'd wager it's one he finally opted to take, for any number of reasons. [...]

Rich was/is sick of course but it's hard to understand why he wouldn't allow others who appear to be willing to run the site...but I only know the little I've read and don't understand the full situation. It's a pity - I read the GoneGold boards regularly, although I only recently started posting. *shrug*
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:57 am
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wow, Thanks!
Sorry to hear this.........
How786
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:33 am
The Meal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lots and lots of speculation ran rampant, but Hrothgar's message seems pretty accurate. A fellow RPGer (RPGHero) had posted that he used to work with Rich's brother, Buddy, and that he called Buddy up and asked what happened. Supposedly the response (and remember, this is third-hand at best) was that Rich had thought that things had gone-to-hell so he pulled the plug on the server.

Very sad day.

Anyway, the former GG Forum moderation crew has been working on our new project at www.brutesquad.net (currently just forums, although some interesting community-base plans are discussed in the metaforum there). Lots of refugees there and also over on the Console Gold boards.

Apologies to any of the RPGdot powers that be if my post is inappropriate. As full disclosure, I *am* involved with the site that I linked, above. Hope this sort of posting isn't verboten, but we're all eager to try and get the word out to as many of the former Gone Gold community as we can.

~Neal
Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:30 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I donīt think that your post was inappropriate, Neal.

A number of people here posted at GG or at least read the forums. Theyīll be happy to hear about the two other forums.

Maybe our news guys could even consider posting something on the main page, as a service to our readers ?!

I have to say I donīt like the way GG was shut down, if it really happened like that and there were no dramatic reasons we arenīt aware of. After all the work the forum staff put into GG Rich should have at least given them a month to drive the community to a new home if he didnīt want to part with the GoneGold URL. Not classy.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:47 am