Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
MSS32.DLL PRoblems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

MSS32.DLL Problems!! Like all i have mss32.dll problems. What can i do to fix the deal!?? Where can i get that DirectSound HW talked about in another Post?

Machine Specs
eMACHINES
466 intel Celeron Processor 128K L2 Cache
64MB SyncDRAM
5X Max DVD-ROM
3D 4Mb AGP Graphics
Video Card-(Display)Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x
Sound Card-Crystal SoundFusion
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 3:09 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Seems we now have two versions of mss32.dll problems. If you can start Gothic try to change your sound provider in the sound options menu.

If the game crashes on start open the gothic.ini with an editor, go to the [Sound] section and disable music, sound and extended providers.
Then try to start Gothic.

Your machine specs look like a notebook? Are you aware that itīs most likely not strong enough to deliver playable framerates?
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:49 am

They only prob. is that its not with the sound card. It is with the display. The Mss32.dll file when opened its says "This Program cant run in dos mode"

What can i do to fix the damned thing?
Post Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:57 am

Luthian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had the same problem... All I did was go to Start then run and browse till u find gothic and tell it to run. That worked for me.
Post Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:37 pm

Same problem for me as well. At least I can play for awhile before coming across it. I can tell you I can force the error anytime I want, but bypassing named NPCs is a bug in the code, not our hardware! I can do and talk to anyone else and never have this issue except when conversing or fighting named NPCs.
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:06 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A new version of the mss32.dll can be found here:
http://www.radgametools.com/miles.htm
Download the 'Miles Sound Tools for Windows'. Decide for yourself if you want to risk replacing the file in the Gothic dir.

To fix the multiple enemy crashes try the following:
Change the sound provider to DirectSound HW, disable 'Reverb' and change the resolution to nothing more than 1280*1024. Then quit Gothic and restart it.
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:26 pm

Well finally got mine to work:-) I did nothing else but use the suggestions you all provided. I won't use a newer version of MSS32.DLL. Thanks again all!
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:37 am