Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Ok, I just bought this game with expansions! Now. . . .
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Ok, I just bought this game with expansions! Now. . . .

Should I download ALL the expansions and start or should I do it game by game OR does it really matter?

My purchase was: Morrowind/The Elder Scrolls III. Game of the year edition. It contains 4 discs: The Elder Scrolls/Morrowind, Construction Set, Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

I have noticed patches for Bloodmoon too.

I was thinking to just download all the games and whatever version patches I may need and start from there. What do you guys think?

TIA, Loves ~T

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:39 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Just install both expansion and get to gaming! You'll want the Tribunal one installed any ways. It brings much needed changes to the journal system. Just be careful when your character takes a nap.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:08 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I didn't undestand the "download all expansions". But anyway the safe order to install:

MW & TESCS
Tribunal
Bloodmoon
Bloodmoon patch 1.6.1820

Don't install Bloodmoon before Tribunal since it can potentially cause trouble...
Take note that with Tribunal installed bad guys will attack you when resting/sleeping because quest related to tribunal.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:37 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There are two things:
a) order in which you should install expansions + patches?
follow Remuses advice

b) is it good for gameplay to install all expanasions before I will begin this game firsttime?
If you will do it, this things will happen:
- you will get several improvements in GUI (mainly new Journal is really useful)
- you will get possibility to travel to two new areas for each expansion, you can choose when to travel there, this areas are good for higher level players, but when you will get there too soon, you can simply return back to mainland
- there is possibility that relatively early in game, strange figures will wake you during resting, this fights can be very dangerous, however it is possible to live with this only "bad" thing
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Ok, so the Tribunal expansion has the sleep/awake/enemy thing, correct?

Hmmm, that's the expansion that is next after the game.

I dunno if I like to be woken and killed, but then again I dunno what the game is like in any case.

So, is the general consensus to install and patch everything before I start?

What if I just start then install the expansions as I go?

Is the being woken thing really a big death issue? Or the journal thing that important?

Sorry for the questions. I like to be in the know before I start. When I was playing Diablo II I was quite bothered that when you installed any expansion that you had to start the games all over. Loved that game but it kinda pissed me off.

Anyway, I thank you again for the advanced asistance!

Loves ~T

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:47 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Being woken up isn't that big of a deal. It's just the way you start the Tribunal addon. There is a MOD that you can download named Delayed Darkbrotherhood Attack that stops them from attacking until you're a much higer level. The MOD can be found at http://www.euro-morrowind.com/ if you're interested.

Yes the journal system is worth installing the Tribunal addon before you play. In pre-Tribunal Morrowind there is no filters or anything to sort your quests out. And around level 10 or so you'll end up having so many active and finished quests in your journal that it will span well over 60 pages making it a real pain in the ass to find your unfinished quests.

I hope that helps ya.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:33 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

It does!

Thanks to all of you I will do as you all suggest! Install 'em all and get to the killin.'

LOL

Thanks!

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:29 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

You're welcome!

I hope you enjoy the game.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:33 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I just bought game of the year edition also. I read some messages in the newsgroup, and they say I need to install a lot of mods and plugins.

I haven't installed anything so far. I played 2 hours, and I am bored out of my skull. I like gothic's combat system better. It's more dynamic.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 8:30 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

*shrugs* I rather enjoyed the combat in Morrowind. It's as simple or in depth as you make it out to be. One of my favorite characters I ran was a character with no combat skills at all. I had to rely on my wits, and spells that hardly get used thanks to having nuke spells, to finish the main quest. One of my favorite spells that I designed was a combo of Demoralize/Levitate for 30 seconds. What that did was force whatever I casted the spell on to flee, and when they fled they'd run stright up into the air. When the spell ran out that'd fall to the gound and splat!

If you find combat boring then change your play style. As I said combat in this game is how you make it out to be.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:52 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Joeman - you don't need to install lots of plugins, but some people find the game more interesting if they do. I personally don't use any third-party plugins at all.

And yeah, Gothic 2 and Morrowind are quite different games. If there's something you really, really like in one of them, it's possible you won't enjoy the other because that thing is absent. For example, if you fell in love with the non-linear play in Morrowind, you might be disappointed with Gothic's chapter-based approach.

Horses for courses!
Post Mon May 03, 2004 11:11 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Currently i use about 40 plug-ins. They change the Morrowind eperiences quite a lot.

Some peoples playing the game with around 200 plug-ins.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 4:59 pm