Gamespot's Best & Worst of 2005 List Announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gamespot's Best & Worst of 2005 List Announced

Gamespot has announced the finalists for best & worst of 2005 in a huge number of categories. Categories are not platform-specific but rather genre specific. <blockquote><em>Categories range from Special Achievement Awards like Best Original Music and Most Outrageous Game to Dubious Honors such as Worst Trend and Most Long-Winded Game Title. The best games in each genre and on each platform will also be honored, as will the overall best game of the year.</em></blockquote> Best RPG Nominees are:<blockquote><em>Dragon Quest VIII (PlayStation 2)</em></blockquote><blockquote><em>Guild Wars (PC)</em></blockquote><blockquote><em>Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube)</em></blockquote><blockquote><em>Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Game Boy Advance)</em></blockquote><blockquote><em>Riviera: The Promised Land (Game Boy Advance)</em></blockquote> You can head over to <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141367.html" target="_blank">Gamespot</a> and read up on the rest of the categories including Best Game of 2005 (each platform has its own nominees and will have its own winner).
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:24 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Sad. I wounder what the PC RPG of the year category will look like. At least next year will be GREAT! I mean Oblivion and Gothic 3!
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:26 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Gamespot have no PC RPG cathegory. And btw, this year at least, I have played one of the titles in the cathegory
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:43 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

LOL, you're right I confused it with some other site no doubt. But even if they had one I guess it'd only contain guildwars.... and that's a very thin line to MMORPG.

Single player RPG of the year hmm hmm ehh, fable lost chapters? I hated that game... but it's the only RPG I can think of to come out on PC this year.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:25 am
abbaon

quote:
Originally posted by GothicGothicness
Single player RPG of the year hmm hmm ehh, fable lost chapters? I hated that game... but it's the only RPG I can think of to come out on PC this year.

We've had a disappointing year.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:34 am

Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Sad. I wounder what the PC RPG of the year category will look like. At least next year will be GREAT! I mean Oblivion and Gothic 3!

Neverwinter Nights 2!!!!!! Please don't forget that one!
Titan Quest!!!!!! Ditto above
Dragon Age (maybe by the end of 2006)
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Heroes of Might & Magic 5
The Witcher!!!!! See NWN2
Mage Knight
Hellgate London

....to name a few more.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:34 am
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Dragonquest at least is a really good RPG, if a bit old school.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:51 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes the future looks good for single player RPGS, but about these games:

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic -- I've lost faith in this series.
Heroes of Might & Magic 5 -- I don't think it'll be nearly as good as 2 or 3
Neverwinter Nights 2 -- This game is only fun in multiplayer.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:22 pm
abbaon

quote:
Neverwinter Nights 2 -- This game is only fun in multiplayer.

No? I had fun with Shadows of Undrentide, enjoying the writing in particular. And Hordes of the Underdark has the strongest final act of any RPG since, well, you know. It even redeemed Aribeth as a character. Why so glum, chum?

(NWN2 may still suck. I sure hope Avellone doesn't give us yet another rehash of his 'antihero atones for his past and heals his spiritual wound, with gaggle of tormented freaks in tow' plot.)
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:35 am

GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have to say I disliked the single player of the original so much I never tried it in the expansion packs, might be it improved a lot Perhaps I should try it someday.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:45 am
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

I hate it when people keep saying this. Every year, it's always the same. Disappointing year? Jeeeeeez...don't you guys say that EVERY year???

Dungeon Siege 2, Sacred Underworld, Fate, Gothic 2 Gold, Freedom force 2 (Kinda RTS, but still RPG)

I played all of the above, and they were great games. Exactly what do you guys want anyway? I never met a bigger bunch of negative nancys in my life.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:03 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic 2 gold, great... but most of us already played it with the patch created from member of this fourm and it can't be said to be exactly "new"

The other games you mention are more or less hack-and-slash which can hardly be called RPGs in my book. As for freedom force 2 just like you said it's more like a RTS.

As for complaning... I didn't hear many people complaning 2003
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:24 pm
abbaon

quote:
Originally posted by Shimbatha
I hate it when people keep saying this. Every year, it's always the same. Disappointing year? Jeeeeeez...don't you guys say that EVERY year???

I've only said it once. You know, you put forward a lot of collectivist opinions. You lump people together and make sweeping statements about them: you guys say the same thing every year, almost all people who prefer online gaming are just playing to get an ego boost, I know how the industry thinks, and so on. Treating people as individuals would bring a measure of balance to your posts as well as increase their accuracy. Give it a shot.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:04 pm

Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

You cant really take these idiots serious the ratings for the games they give is completly laughable the mentality of these americans i tell you.

Games given perfect scores to alot of games wich are generic and dont even deserve a score that high one of my favorite examples is serious sam one of the morons on there (overweight of course) gives it a 9.5 and also Halo (saying its one of the best fps)

If you look closely it seems they love games where you dont use you're brain and just follow a straight forward path and kill kill kill thats american mentality for you

Only review and rating i trust is my own
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:48 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999
If you look closely it seems they love games where you dont use you're brain and just follow a straight forward path and kill kill kill thats american mentality for you

Now there's an overgeneralization if I ever read one. That is the mentality of a LOT of people all over the world, hence the high sales numbers for many FPS games.

quote:
Only review and rating i trust is my own

This is the best and truest thing you said.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:41 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next