Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Me and My Biiiiiiig Mouth...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

For those of you who may have taken my recent "Important Primary Skills for Bard" mood music comments to heart and are currently ransacking your CD libraries in search of the perfect monster mashing tunes, let me give you another piece of advice: DON'T. You may not live to regret it.

Now I'm a Wizardry fan from waaaaay back, so I *should* have known better. Buuuuut the thrill of *finally* receiving my shiny new copy of Wizardry 8 from EB World.com this afternoon, coupled with the rowdy rhythms of Queen drifting out of my Klipsch Pro Media speakers had me so wound up I couldn't see straight. No sooner had the intro finished than I'd whipped a party together, hit the beach (literally), and strode up to the nearest crab with a yell of "Who's your daddy?"...

And was promptly surrounded, folded, bent, stapled and mutilated by the entire crustacean nation!

Has anyone seen "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks? 'Cause I gotta tell ya, I've suddenly developed a profound sense of respect for the man. I mean, he killed a crab with a *stick*, ok? *I* couldn't kill one with the help of six party members, umpteen weapons, and a truckload of Dracon spit! [wry chuckle]

So don't let this happen to you. Leave the music to the professionals - roll up a bard! =)

Hey... anybody know the number of a good Gadgeteer? 'Cause THIS adventurer's just had his clock cleaned. [groan]

Ok, that tears it - no more Mr. Nice Guy! Where's the nearest character editor? I'll teach those crabs...
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:45 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:11 am
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Fireball is your friend...heh...but...that was in the demo where I fried 9 wolf spiders with one fireball by sneaking up on them...levels were higher in the demo...so I don't know actually how hard those crabs are in the full version, hopefully I will know in a week or two when the game comes. I love the magic system...but it's so easy to just blow through your MPs by blasting enemies with the highest level you got.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:20 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:32 am

Hmm... Fireball? Oh, yeah! Tom Hanks did that, too - simply by rubbing two "Staves of Doom" together! Well, er... in the *movie* they appeared to be nothing more than a couple of sticks. But we know better, don't we?

I hear ya, Psy - those magic points go faster than a bowl of M&Ms at the office Christmas party, don't they? *whew* What I wouldn't give for an "Energizer Bunny" skill for spell casters (pure or otherwise). Or better yet, what about a special item?

Dracon Fighter: "Oooooh, isn't ums just so cuuuuute in those little bunny pajamas?" [laughs]

Gnome Alchemist: [snarling] "You pinch my cheek one more time, crab bait, and my NEXT camping creation will be a little something called "Lizard on a Stick."

Dracon Fighter: "Alright, alright, alright! MAN, now I know why the manual says you guys are a *solitary* race. Sheesh!"

Don’t feel bad, though – the demo spoiled me, too. Got used to running around with 5th level characters from the get go. [chuckle] No *wonder* I got my keester handed to me for a hat by those crabs. (Whaddya suppose the AC bonus is for that? To be honest, what happened is two groups hit me at the same time. When I engaged the group by the ship, a second batch – a random encounter, I believe – came out of the surf and attacked me from behind. At that point, it was all over but the shouting – literally.

So this morning I got all nostalgic – though, to the untrained eye, it might appear more like desperation – and started pawing through my hallway closet in an attempt to find my old Bane of the Cosmic Forge save disk. (Ah, now THERE were some adventurers worth their salt.) Mind you, even if I find the thing, I’ll still have to wait for the Ultimate Wizardry Archives I won on eBay to arrive before I can convert them to W7 and THEN port them over to W8.

Still, if I can pull this off, it’ll be worth it… storming onto the beach with my Heroes of Old fully restored and seeing those crabs’ eyeballs bug right outta their little eyestalks.

Crab legs, anyone? [evil chuckle]
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:33 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

Still, if I can pull this off, it’ll be worth it… storming onto the beach with my Heroes of Old fully restored and seeing those crabs’ eyeballs bug right outta their little eyestalks.

Crab legs, anyone? [evil chuckle]

I
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:35 pm