Please help with my stuttering.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
mrlips
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Please help with my stuttering.

Every time i play gothic 2 it runs great for about ten to twenty minutes then its starts to slow down to the point where it seems like its locked up but after about a minute of letting it sit there it starts to go again. the only thing that ive done is upgrade my hard drive to a bigger one then reinstall xp and then reinstall gothic 2.
My system specs:
Athlon xp 3200+
epox 8rda+
Radeon 9700 Pro
Soundblaster audigy 2
512 megs of 3500 DDR
1 WD 250 Gig 7200 RPM HD
1 WD 80 Gig 7200 RPM HD
Windows XP Home

I have the the 250 gig hard drive split into two drives with equal amounts of space on both and have gothic installed on the second partition, not the system one.
Also i have my page file on the 80 gig drive set to 1500 megs, ive tried putting the page file on all the diffrent drives but its the same. Im running the latest drivers on everything and all the windows updates are done.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:44 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

I have got the following conclusion:Gothic2 plays fine in "lower" systems than your defently.But owners of Ati Radeon(as myself) have lots of problems.
For example I have asked a lot of people who their PCs have the following:
500mhzPentium or 1.3 Ghz Atlon, 128 Mb to 256 MB RAM but all of them have Nvidia graphic cards and they reply to me "...I am very satisfied from the performance of the game.......I have no problems...........it runs smother than yours...".Some of my friends even mock me for my expensive Ati card which turned out to be useless.So I guess that the problem is ATI cards.And something else; I have heard that the graphic machine of Gothic2 was build up in the example of Nvidia cards.That's why some games' performance is better when you have Nvidia tech. and visa versa.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:40 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Radeon

Well, the game runs great on my system, even if I have most settings on max. The only thing that will slow it down a little is turning on cloud shadows when it's raining (but there's a warning about that one in the ini file).

Are you sure you have the newest catalyst drivers? there was a bug in earlier versions that caused problems with gothic 2.

Running Gothic 1 is an entirly diffrent story though.

Here's my system

P3 3000mhz
1024 mb DDR 400 ram
ATI RADEON 9800 XT
200 GB Harddrive
Windows XP Professional
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:27 pm
mrlips
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes I definitly have newest drivers, I just redid my entire system and put the newest drivers for everything including the cat 4.1's.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:40 pm
mrlips
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

One thing I havent tried but I just thought of, when I installed xp on the new hard drive I had moved everything over from the old games drive onto the new faster and bigger hard drive and when windows went to install it wanted to do a chkdsk on the games drive. And i went and let it do not thinking that xp without service pack 1 installed cant read that big of a drive, so it did the chkdsk and found all sorts of problems and when i finally got sp1 installed it saw everything as it should. Do you think that somehow that drive might need to be formatted? Maybe. I havent tried to install it on the c: drive to see if the problems go away but I will.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:06 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

format to a gamer is like.......the weapon to a soldier....
by balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:12 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmm

Hmm, just how much stuttering are we talking about?, is it like completly unplayable? I suppose you can try and turn off the virtual file system thingy (this way the game will take alot longer to load each time though), if you haven't tried it, that thing can cause alot of trouble (including save games not loading as they should , either way if you have a problem with your harddrive and it has to keep loading from it it could be a problem I guess.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:15 pm
mrlips
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

At first it doesnt do it all, the game loads fast, and once I get into the game it takes a couple of seconds to load everything and then its smooth as hell for about fifteen minutes and then it slows bad. Sometimes like I said in my original post it will stop and it acts like its locked up for about a minute then it comes back but its like a slide show. Its very strange, and theres nothing running in the background either.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:11 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ugh

Ahh, well what I was trying to say in my last post was: (I don't know what I was writing I'm a little lost sometimes.)
find this line in the system/gothic2.ini file make a copy of it gothic2bak.ini , you might want to read through it if you haven't either way find:

zCacheInAllNSCAtNewGame=0

and change to:

zCacheInAllNSCAtNewGame=1

see if it makes a diffrence :X, also try turning of the music see if it makes a diffrence. If it doesn't well tough luck :S, because I'm out of ideas.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:09 pm
mrlips
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Allright I formatted the drive last night and reinstalled gothic 2 on that same partition and it fixed all the problems. thanks for trying to help.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:12 pm
MoriasBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

This May Help

MY COMPUTER used to do that a lot, then i said man that's it, i pulled the side panel from my case, and just have a fan facing it to blow air in and keep it really cool, games run flawlessly now. As motherboards get older they develope heat stresses from gaming, this could happen over time, to your card or board.
watch it!
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:36 am