Usergroups
Demo - Not Impressed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

The left mouse button is the same as the action key. It seems like you did not know that by your posts. It took me awhile to find out about that, but left mouse button plus arrow up, or right or left is the same as control key plus arrow keys. That way you don't have to switch from mouse to keyboard, you just use them both. I had the same troubles with jumping from mouse to keyboard, you can't play the game like that, its too tough!!!

Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:26 pm
Crusher
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Actualy my action key is "Space Bar" (the big long button:)) and "left,right" is "strafe left strafe right"."Up,down"is walk forward and backward as for the jumping i only hold "up" and "right mouse button" - jump. And jumping and looking around is the only thing i use mouse in this game! and the strafe and up,down are the keys "w,a,s,d"
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 5:45 am
Macros_The_Black
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think these controls are as good as they can be. Let me tell you how i play:

I use A, S, D, and W to walk around, where A and D being strafe right/left. Holding down left shift and W i get walking. Holding down Left Ctrl and pushing any direction keys, while having unsheated my sword, I can use any sword combination in the game, as well as magic. Holding down Ctrl, while a chest, NPC, door etc is highlighted, and pressing W i can open the doors, talk to the npcs etc.
Pressing Tab opens my inventory, and using A, W, S, and D i can search, sell, buy, etc. All this by not moving any of my hands, as my left hand rest easily on the mouse All i use the mouse for is for jumping, which i do when i walk to move faster, and for looking around of course.
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:52 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Using WASD is very common with most Gothic players.
Along with full use of the 3-button mouse. With scroll wheel.

I use ESDF. Because the 'F' key on my keyboard has a little groove in it, so that I can find it in the dark if I just wisk my fingers over the keys.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:19 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I don't find the keyboard nearly as sensitive as the mouse to looking around and stuff. I pretty much just use my mouse and the arrow keys. I haven't gotten any spells to see how to cast those, but mouse and arrow keys seem to get me through most things so far. Of course space bar to enter combat mode, and whatever keys for stats and inventory. Never thought to stop running myself <: I don't see how the guy is panting wherever he goes, but hes got a heck of a lot of endurance!

Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:00 pm
Crusher
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey Guys i`ve just mastered the art of fighting, i dont mean that i have learned master on the skills of sword. Here read this when i am master on one-handed weapons there is a big combo not bug ok here it is. draw your sword then "up" "up" "up" "up" he he confusing isn`t it ok there is stage after every "up" the first is to move your weapon up then another "up" for moving your weapon down and another "up" for spining and last for 2 very fast strikes another "up". Try it you will see the stages your hero go to . Practice and you will make it! if there is something you dont understend just write here i will help :>
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 7:56 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, after reading three (long) pages worth of info on this here thread, I can’t help but add to its length. I am very impressed with the overall effect and play of this game. I know this because I have lost a lot of sleep over this game (can’t help it).I too found the controls a little awkward. But after playing with the setup for awhile I found a system that works quite well. I use the KB/mouse combo. W/S for F/B – Q/E for strafe L/R – Tab for Inv. – CapLock for R/W – R for Stats – T for Journal – D for Weapon and the mouse for Look/Action. Programming the mouse would be nice though. The game does have some quirks and it would help to have fluid movement during fighting and be able to strike multiple targets during battle. But other than that…I say bring on the full ver.

Sylvio
Post Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:57 am

People having MS Explorer mouses can program it's 5 buttons with the IntelliPoint software: just assign normal keystrokes (e.g. k, h, l,..) to the mouse buttons and assign the wanted actions to the same keystrokes in Gothic.

I hope it will help someone.

BTW, I m using the latest version of IntelliPoint for WindowsXP

- Merz
Post Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:08 am

Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

BTW, IIRC, in the readme, they suggested that the default keys were for left-handed ppl. Right-handed should use the alternative settings.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:44 pm

I agree with you to an extent hawkwind. Im also among the over 30 crowd whos been playing rpg's and crpg's since they were known. (not to insinuate that you are over 30..heh..but I would say you probably are)

I feel the interface is entirely clumbsy. The only way I figured out how to navigate my inventory was to hold down my left mouse button and use my side movement keys at the same time. In fact there are a lot of combos like this where you use the mouse buttons held down with the keyboard. This is a first for me. And I thought I read somewhere that the game wasnt designed to be used with the mouse originally and some things were incorporated later.
I hope there are easier undocumented ways to navigate such simple things like just hitting a key on the keyboard when the interface is open would be nice.

but..I do like the AI in the demo and after playing ultima ascension..this game runs like a champ :]
Post Fri Nov 16, 2001 8:19 pm

I read almost all the 3 pages and i also thought it was funny, the controls were very odd for me at first, but eventualy I learned tons of great stratagies in combat and stuff. when i downloaded the demo i didnt like it at first either, The graphics very good but not absolutly phenominal (facial grapics are though) but im not suprised and i actualy think they are very good considering the fact that they have enourmous maps and entire colonys. and it is very realistic because anything is possible, i could never get enough of going around, pissing off diggers, mug them, break into the chest and dashing off with diggers shouting at me, it was hillarious. I like gothic alot, i admit it had a few bugs and glitches but im sure they will be fixed in the full version or they will have patches and crap.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:13 pm

don't be worried guy's
it is an extremely good RPG, i did the hole german version (......yes i'm german *g)
the only bad thing at that game is, u cannot stop playing it again and again.
u'll fast get realy skilled at useing the controls for fast fighting combos with onehanded and twohanded weapons.
There are so much things to explore course its quite impressive and very large world(like Ultima 9). and last but not least the storyline of gothic is fantastic !!

PS(i know my engl. is not the best)
Post Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:12 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3