Thief: Deadly Shadows - Review @ Gamespy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Thief: Deadly Shadows - Review @ Gamespy

The first "real" <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/518035p1.html" target="_blank">review</a> of Ion Storm's somewhat controversial 'Thief: Deadly Shadows' is online at Gamespy. It's a cautiously positive article with a score of 4/5. The intro sets the tone:<blockquote><em>One of the things I've learned over the years is that the tone of a review can be very important. Since I'm going to spend considerable time in this review listing things that were annoying or flawed about the latest version of the Thief franchise, I thought it was important to establish something up front: Thief: Deadly Shadows is a terrific game. All of the stealth gameplay, intricate level design, Byzantine story branches, and delightfully larcenous action makes a welcome return in this edition. The godfather of stealth-action games is back. Unfortunately, while Thief: Deadly Shadows stands as an equal to any of the previous games in the series, it doesn't exceed them - nor does it move the franchise forward as much as it was obviously designed to do.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:54 am
Morporkian\ Too Loud

Hmm...

A good review. Lots of good points, though I found it a bit repetitive. Or maybe I'm just bored. Bored of screenshots, bored of short videos and bored of waiting the game.

BTW What the heck is this?:http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/015/015244/img_2151303.html

Architecture? A gate to the MAW OF Chaos. perhaps?
Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:02 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Most of the screens are pretty useless, which isn't really that surprising ... it is a game all about shadows. But still ... up the gamma for the shot or something.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 2:42 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Haha...the shots are too dark. I doubt they actually played on that setting. I remember turning up my monitor contrast and brightness in Thief2 until the shadows ummm...don't even look like shadows.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 3:46 pm
kazuma
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

DUmb reviewer

i dont know if this guy who wrote the review is color bilinded or blind because judging from the screenshots at theif website this game looks awesome alot better then splinter cell maybe he tested it with geforce4 mx or somthing
Post Mon May 24, 2004 6:52 pm
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'll wait for a review of this game by someone who played it on Xbox.

Some of his negative comments about graphics don't matter to me if the performance is helped.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:13 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Re: DUmb reviewer

quote:
Originally posted by kazuma
i dont know if this guy who wrote the review is color bilinded or blind because judging from the screenshots at theif website this game looks awesome alot better then splinter cell maybe he tested it with geforce4 mx or somthing
Actually, I noticed that his system was similar to the desktop system I use occasionally for gaming (I'm mainly laptop) - 2.53GHz P4, GF4 Ti4600. Not bad, but not top-end by any stretch.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:23 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: DUmb reviewer

quote:
Originally posted by kazuma

Based on playing DX:IW (Which uses the same engine) and the screenshots on the net, Splinter Cell does look better and I'm refering to the 1st SP, not Pandora Tomorrow. The lighting is superior, the NPC models are more detailed, the textures don't look so washed out. And SP has lip movements too, unlike Thief. Honestly, I don't know why they didn't include that feature. Both SP and Thief are based on the Unreal Engine that supports this (look at UT2003's intro)! Maybe Ion Storm are getting lazy on the development part.
Post Tue May 25, 2004 2:29 pm