Gothic2+NOTR Best RPG ever done, magic system not that good
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

About the difficulty:
It was increased because "the community", people like us, kept wining about G2 being too easy.
In my opinion it's good now. I really feared NotR when I just started, but now I wouldn't want to lower the difficulty.
For players that just pop in it can be tough indeed. The difference with many other games is that you can't just take on any creature that you encounter. It's possible that you encounter a creature that isn't meant for your current level, because it's all free-space. You'll have to keep this in mind and be a little more cautious.

About the magic:
Spell diversity: You're right here, Gotit. But I don't think I'm missing them. I've found out in other games that I just want to do damage, a lot and fast. All those strategy spells are worth something when playing in a team, say multiplayer, but not here.
Magic in fights: Many useless spells I couldn't agree more. Everytime I play the game I end up with the same spells, because they are the best and the others don't even come near. For example Ice Lance! This spell is the one and only spell that is worth something throughout the second chapter, which is about the longest chapter with both the VoM and Jharkendar. You can also use Fireball, but that's it's weaker brother. The rest is a waste of lp, mana and health.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

For difficulty: It depends of a lot of thing:
- If you are speaking of playing using the smith and get infinite money easily, then I agreee with you, the difficulty of the begining is ok, no money problems, you can buy a few very usefull equipements fast, no worry about all the racketing, and so on.
- But if you remove the smith thing, I feel the beginning quite tough.
- Later and with a mage, the difficulty is perfect passed a point, even without the smith thing. It's quite tough but not too much.
- But, still with a mage, in last 2 chapters it's often too easy, sometimes ok.

More spells with special effects: Yes that suit better team but common a bit better than just damages spell could suit anyway don't you think? Only multiplay? Well with mercenary that could help too. The point is perhaps put even more oportunities of mercenaries and magic not only based on damage power.
Post Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:01 pm
GTaher
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't think its too tough...I played it through and I am beyond poor in "skill" or patience.
Earlier posters had it right, the game is balanced so that you are incredibly weak in the early levels and very powerful towards the end.
In all cases, until you get the right armor and weapons (usually level and chapter specific) its only with a level of skill that you can take on some creatures. Once you get the right armor and weapon, you have to be really, really sloppy and play exceptionally badly to lose to them.
I love the feeling of building up real power that the game gives you, most RPGs are so tightly structured (NWN, KoTOR, etc) that you always feel you are roughly the same level as whatever you are fighting. To my mind this takes away one of the key attractions of role-playing games: which is building a character who gets more and more impressive until he really is a hero by the standard of those around him and the world he inhabits.

Gothic rules! Gothic 3 will probably be the best RPG ever (for my money anways).
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:23 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Gothic 2+ NOTR is definitely NOT too hard. It's one of the few great crpg's
that stays challenging till the very end, the way they should. A lot of games,
*cough *Morrowind* cough*, get way too easy after midgame. I can see where NOTR might be kinda tough if you never played Gothic 1 or plain Gothic 2 first. In that case, go back and play them first or use a walkthrough to help you out. I never had to use any cheap tactics (like slash and run) to finish NOTR.

I'm playing Wizardry 8 (finally) right now, and let me tell you, it is waaay harder than NOTR.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:45 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I played G2 NotR German version (I've heard some say it used to be tougher than the english one) and had no problems with the difficulty, the high LP cost was annoying, but nothing serious, the difficulty seemed to be OK untill I met the dragons. As a one-handed melee fighter I couldn't take down the stone dragon, even with summoned skeletons, speed potions and every trick i could think of I couldn't take it down, it healed just too fast, i could barely damage it cause of his heal before me and my summoned minions were all killed. And if the stone dragon was that difficult, then what chance did i have against the fire and water dragon?

I eventually got bored and after the 100th time i stopped trying, it was a good thing i had finished G2 before and had finished the addon world.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:25 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by kriksa
I played G2 NotR German version (I've heard some say it used to be tougher than the english one)

The difficulty level of the English and German version is exactly the same. Only the texts and dialogs are different.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:31 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Kriksa, just curious. What strength were you at when trying to fight the dragon? Thanks...
Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:25 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by kriksa
...As a one-handed melee fighter I couldn't take down the stone dragon, even with summoned skeletons, speed potions and every trick i could think of...

First answer, you have a mercenary at your disposal why not using him? I strongly doubt you won't beat it with Biff.

Second answer, summon demon scroll.

As a roughly strong 2H, I beat alone the stone and 2 fire dragons but as 1H not as strong, I beat the first with the 2 mercenaries, the stone with Biff, the fire with a summon demon, the ice with Biff and the later dragons with summon demon.

No need to be a strong fighter to do that.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:15 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2