Finished NOTR as a mercenary : Thoughts part II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
kenney bounces
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Finished NOTR as a mercenary : Thoughts part II

Well, i just killed Raven with a mercenary lvl 21.

This time around, it was much more fun and balanced when playing as a melee fighter. You have to hide from some creatures, and actually employ some useful strategy when fighting against raven. (unless you iceblock him)
The strength requirements are extremely steep, and there is no sane way you will ever reach 160 str until the very end where you will also need to conserve all str bonus points from miscellaneous items (including table stones & praying).

However, after killing raven, i found beliar's claw somewhat silly of a weapon.
First off, it has absolutely NO STRENGTH requirement. Secondly, it does a random lightning damage that absolutely DECIMATES monsters. (even when they are blocking, the lightning will hit)
Basically, at level 21, i had a 106 damage 2 handed sword. Which wasn't impressive, but when the lightning thing hit...it destroyed things completely. (26 percent chance)
I was taking out trolls left and right, and even dragon snappers. Holy rhobar!
Now i'm at chapter 2, and i'm clearing almost all the orcs and elites with that sword.

My complaint? It's a great fun weapon...but hey...come on. Put some bloody strength requirement on it as your level progresses when you upgrade that weapon.

Anyways, the game is much more rewarding and fun as a melee. Play a mage only if you want to be bored to hell. heh.

I give it a two thumbs up when playing this expansion as a melee.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:00 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Maybe you could have used the ndrcustom tool for fine ajustment?

http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/index.php?go=downloads&release_id=74

Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:50 am
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I am playing with a merc too. killed Raven at l29. was to easy.

but i don't use beliar's claw very much. right now i have upgraded it to 40% chance but I still preffer my ore battle sword with 150 base damage and +10 1h skill.

btw, beliar's claw can be both 1h and 2h weapon, depends on at what you're better (the game chooses automaticaly). my 1h beliar's claw did 99 damage and 30% chance when I started to use it. after donating 75 health to beliar, it does (only) 104 damage, but it has got 40% chance.

but i don't use it much. I can take out most of the monsters faster if I'm using my ore battle sword (critical strike 90%). lizard people, for example, don't stand a chance, specialy if there is only one because they die in my first two strikes (forward-forward) and don't even have a chance to block/counterattack me.

btw, it's not that hard to gain strength. pray to innos every day, eat a lot of apples, kill a lot of orcs, and you will have over 150 strength at level 35. if you wear belt and amulet of strength, of course (both +10)
and not at the end of the game, but in the middle of act 4.

I can finally use the dragon hunter's crossbow. bloody hell, it does 180 damage
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:32 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by NeoCodex
I am playing with a merc too. killed Raven at l29. was to easy.

No, it´s not too easy. 29 is simply an unadequately high level. Every RPG becomes too easy if you´re power-levelling. If you play this way you should use the tool to make it harder.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:33 pm
kenney bounces
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

btw, it's not that hard to gain strength. pray to innos every day, eat a lot of apples, kill a lot of orcs, and you will have over 150 strength at level 35. if you wear belt and amulet of strength, of course (both +10)
and not at the end of the game, but in the middle of act 4.

Sure it's not hard to get 150. It's hard when you're aiming for 160 (dragon slicer) WITHOUT belts and amulets.

I have trained up to 60 str and 81 points in 2 handed skill at level 28 now.
The final 19 points were obtained after summing up all the bonuses i could get from items (stones + 14, book + 5)

I am still deciding between investment in str. To pump it up 100 points, i currently have 28 points in stones, about 20 to 30 points can be obtained from praying, 3 str from apples, 1 str from a quest merchant, 30 points from stat potions. That kinda leaves me 10 points short, so i'll probably invest 20 more points in str before finally being able to use my dragon slicer!
20 points = 15X4 = 60 points = 6 levels! GAHHH
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:21 pm
dagamer667
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

kenney bounces:

You must've missed a tablet somewhere because you can get 20% 2h from tablets (24% for 1h). Regarding strength, it's best to go ahead and bring it to 90 on LPs alone. I must be missing something with shrines, but Innos is a real tightwad and you shouldn't expect to get any more than 5 str points from him. Are you sure you got 28 str in tablets? I thought you could only get 22. Anyway, my pally is at 185 str now (175 w/o the belt) in ch5. Here's what I did.

I mostly used my experience to train to 90 using only a few small bonuses along the way. Hint: If you train your st/dex to 29 instead of 30 (the same applies to 60 and 90 as well), the next five points can be trained at the old cost instead of the new one. Going from 90 to 95 is 20lps while going from 89 to 94 is only 15. Not much, but it helps. The bonuses I got after 90 are:
+22 from tablets.
+33 from potions (9 roots are found and the other 2 are bough from constantino-ch5 and sagitta-ch3).
+3 dragon egg potion from Neoras.
+9 from found and bought pots
+10 from training at ingmar (who trained me from 160 to 170)
Obviously there were other small bonuses that I don't remember well enough to list. I got a few points from shrines, apples, and thekla's stew that I saved up. Right now, my goal is to scrimp together as many LPs as possible from ch5 train my str some more. before Irdorath. There I'll have the mega strength pot as my final upgrade.

Obviously, the game is much more difficult for 2h users now. Pumping your strength to 200 is far, far more difficult than it was in gothic2. Even meeting the 160 str for gradon slicer is difficult. 1h people still have it really easy with requirements now.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:58 pm
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'm in ch5 and I can finally use the dragon slicer without +10 amulet and +5 ring, but I still need to have the belt on (I have it on all the time anyway so this doesn't really matter)

I did a few mistakes, because I didn't spare the apples, stews, potions and shrine bonuses, not to mention the tablets for later use. that's why I have only around 155-160 base strength at l46 in ch5. still have 20 unused lp tough.

but i still prefer ore weapons than beliar's claw and dragon slicers. that +10 skill critical is worth much more to me that +/- 20~40 damage.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:59 pm
kenney bounces
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

GAHH i knew i must've missed a 2 handed weapon tablet somewhere...
I found tablets 1 and 2 that added to 14, but no tablet 3. I KNEW there was one somewhere, but i didn't run into it as i played.

I'm trying to squeeze as much LP's as possible right now...i'm at lvl 34, 70 LP's saved up. All i have is 60 str, 100 2 handed weapon skill. No alchemy skills yet. And sadly, no fun skills like pickpocket. So i'll need another 2 levels....ouch. And i've already cleared all the orcs in chapter 3. sigh...
Maybe i'll have to fight lizardmen now.
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:52 am
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

are you a dragon hunter or a paladin? I never train weapon mastery to 100 if I'm a dragon hunter because I use +10 ore swords... saves a couple of LP and I'll finish the game at 82% (+10) 1h skill and 65% (+10) 2h skill works pretty well for me

and yes, there IS a +6 2h stone tablet, but it is REALLY REALLY well hidden tough Jharkendar is fantastic because you have to explore a lot to find all the secrets (in Gothic 1, there were no rewards for exploring) and I love that

if you still want to find your 2h stone tablet...

Spoiler:
Remember the first pirate you met in Jharkendar? Not Aligator Jack, but the other one. It was on a path to their camp, he was sawing some wood. He also give you a message for that guy in camp if you've talked to him. After Greg comes back, he isn't there no more and goes back to camp. Now go back to that place where he was earlier and jump up the cliff above. It's hard to notice there is an accessable area but it's really easy to get up there
remember, where the guy was sawing wood... just look up.

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:27 pm
kenney bounces
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gah that bloody cave was where i jumped into that little pit accidentally and reloaded, thinking there wasn't anything spectacular around it.
Incidentally though, there is a reason to get near 200 STR and use that 170 str requirement axe. (can't remember the name...was it beserker's axe?)

It one hit kills lizardmen. I am sooo close to one hit killing lizardmen at 185 str.
I was very suprised to find out that praying to innos when you're a dragon hunter only wielded 8 points of str.
The others were all +3 hps. Pfft.

Still, when i fought the dragons, they seemed to die pretty fast. I thought they were made "much harder". I was basically wacking em dead in 5 swings or so..They seemed to last a wee bit longer, but i was really hoping for an improved AI and improved abilities.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:04 am
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

At least the dragons regenerate now. But this was also for the first time I had troubles with dragons. well in fact I only had trouble with the ice dragon (bastard was pretty tough) it's harder now because they regenerate.

well, thanks Innos for total healing spell scrolls

I had around 170 str with amulets and stuff and after I drank that dragon egg potion I had 185 or somethign like that. It took 90% of health to lizardmen before (with berserkers axe), don't know if it would kill a lizardmen after that because I didn't come across the anymore.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:08 pm
kenney bounces
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I can confirm that lizardmen die to about 195 str + beserker's axe. i'm 1 hit killing em now with that.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:33 am
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

hm, as far as I remember in original Gothic 2 (early ch6) I was able to 1 hit kill an orc warrior 160 str and large dragon slayer sword (110 dmg)
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:30 pm
kenney bounces
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I can't remember... In the old gothic 2 my chars usually had a dragon slicer from chapter 1. (pulling those skeles to the guy outside the black troll area)

Oh yes, with my current setup in NoTR, orc elites also die in two hits. Normal orcs still take 2 hits unfortunately.

I think it was designed so that 190+ str will one hit kill lizardmen and two hit kill orc elites.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:42 am