Need a suggestion about NotR.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Need a suggestion about NotR.

I have spent about an hour reading back 3 or 4 pages of threads, in General and Spoiler sections of Gothic 2.
I dont really see any suggestion threads about how to proceed in NotR compaired to G2 am I missing a thread?
If there is a link to some general suggestion could someone please link it, TIA.
If there is only a walkthru I guess that would work also, I will just be careful to read if I get stuck or confused.

If not could someone give me the basics, I read in one thread that you shuold do the new area in chapter 1 and in past (cant recall) you needed to do the new area before chapter 2.

I used to try to complete everything in NW before going to chapter 2 OW which put me about level 18 entering OW in chapter 2.

It sounds like it would be impossible to complete everything in chapter 1 NW now with NotR difficulty I hear everyone talking about.

Example:
Should I try to be level 15 before the new area?
Should I be in a guild before the new area or like in orginal G2, just get guild before chapter 2/3 (I usually join Mage at the end of chapter 1 about 15th level)
Also I have read about the new stats costing double and potion/plants weaker but total stats possible are higher now like 200?
Can trainers train to 200 now?

Appoliges if these are questions answered before, as I mention I did put effort in trying to find info first.
I guess this is a symptom of the greater problem of the poor distrubtion of NotR, as most of us fans are NOT enjoying NotR close to the same time together but sadly it is much more seperated and disjointed at least for us non German speaking fans.

Anyway thanks.
Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:16 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I went to the new level when I was around level 12 and that's a very good level in my opinion. The new world is pretty challeging, but that's how it's supposed to be.

You will need to join a guild, because before going to Jharkendar you will need to get a specific item from Lord Hagen.

Yes trainers can train you higher too. Pyrokar even teaches you till 300 mana

There is no English walkthrough.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:34 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Sem

There is no English walkthrough.

Actually there is.

All of www.worldofgothic.com is in English now. I have been saying this for quite some time and people keep forgetting. For those who don't know, World Of Gothic is the major formely all-German Gothic site. They are the ones who made all those great maps you've seen floating around.

Just go to that site, choose the "Gothic II ZOne". Then look under "Solution" in the Addon section of the left hand sidebar.

The English translations they have done are very good.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:17 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"All of worldofgothic is in English now. "

I actually had seen that, knew about that and used that mostly out of fear
Thou I do appreciate you offering it as many people dont know.

One problem about Gothic series which I experienced (at least till I got to know the game well thru repeated plays) is the abilty for quest/possiblities/ablities to break/disappear.
Often times if you dont do a quest specificly within a time frame (often not known to the player) or dont talk to someone by a certian time period, its gone lost.
This can be very frustrating to beginner and experiened RPG'ers, one of the most common problems is the Monastary (slight spoiler ahead) if you dont join it in the first chapter you completly lose the ablitly, yet you can wait till chap 2/3 to join Miltia or the Merc's with NO indication what so ever (at least I have encountered in English versions) .
So I at least feel forced to at least browse walkthrus to prevent hair pulling experiences

Also this turns out to be huge problems with the way people see an RPG, if this happened in a US release it would be called a bug or broken quest in general, not all cases.
Due to the fact that the Gothic world is just HUGE most people's instinct in RPG (especially since openended is the buzz word now) like to just wander around and see things, like the beautiful huge world (I know I do).
So if you know you want to be a Mage and you end up playing without knowedge of a walkthru/spoiler/bug a player can throw away 20 hours of gameplay.
This is NOT something that pleases most RPG players especially potiential new RPG players
Now some people might say who cares if NEW people dont get how Kewl Gothic is or why do we need NEW RPG players?
Well the answer is simple (at least to me) if we dont get NEW fans or build NEW RPG fan bases then the RPG game will NOT be made.

We all know (well at least the RPG player than have played for more than 5 years) that not only did RPGs almost cease to exist but most of us are forced to wait months if not years for decent RPGs play.
Whats worst is that now we are getting more (Bloodlines and KotOR 2) but they are buggy and incomplete, Doh!

So anyway I really meant more of a walkthru than a solutions guide most as a time table issue.
I had read in some of the threads that you had to complete the Addon world by so and so or if you do this after this then you lose that.
Slight Spoiler, but now for example I know that the Portal to the Addon world does NOT close during the chap 1 - 5 you are on the Korinis Island, which I was lead to believe it closed once chap 4 started.

Oops im rambling again, anyway thanks again for the tips
Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:51 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
... if you dont join it in the first chapter you completly lose the ablitly, yet you can wait till chap 2/3 to join Miltia or the Merc's with NO indication what so ever (at least I have encountered in English versions) .

When you follow the story, you know that you need to join one of guilds already in chapter 1, so losing the ability to join the monastery in chapter 2,3 doesn't seem a problem to me. Just follow the story and don't sneak past the guard to get to Lord Hagen to see him without joining any guild. You asked for it!
Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:08 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"When you follow the story, you know that you need to join one of guilds already in chapter 1"

Mind giving me an example?
If that were true, best I can tell it would mean you can not join the Malita or Mercs in chap 2 or 3, which you clearly can.
So I am confused, since I feel like I have at least heard most of the story (if not all ) since I have completed the game more than 10 times, at least 10 is all I am admiting too
Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:46 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Simple, the guards in front of Lord Hagen won't let you see him if you're not part of one of the three guilds.
And you need to talk to Lord Hagen to start chapter 2.
Conclusion: you'll need to join one of the three guilds in chapter 3 and therefore it doesn't really matter that you can't join the monastery in chapter 2 or 3, because you normally already made your choice.
Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:55 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"Simple, the guards in front of Lord Hagen won't let you see him if you're not part of one of the three guilds"
"Conclusion: chapter 2 or 3, because you normally already made your choice."

I can see why you think that, thou it is not accurate.
You can have access to Lord Hagen at anytime whether you are in a guild or not as long as you have access to the Upper Quarter.

The only reason you have to join a guild is because of a Single programming check in chapter 3 with Xardas.
If you come to him about repairing the broken eye to get him to go to the Circle of the Sun, he refuses if you do not belong to a guild.
He says something to the effect, "You are not ready/strong enough" I cant remember its been a year or so since we tested this.

Edit: Atfer rereading you point about following the story, I see I have misunderstood your meaning, about seeing Lord Hagen.
It is intended you belong to a guild in chapter 1, I was confusing ablity to continue without a guild, not intent, appoligies

Thanks again for the tips
Post Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:07 pm