View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by John373
Hey, dteowner, do you have any problems running other Windows 95/98 games through your Windows XP? I'm going to have to get a new computer some day but I'm worried if my favorite older games, such as Starcraft, won't be playable on XP. But I know I will need XP because the endless DirectX upgrades may eventually render Win 98 obsolete like DX 7 (or was it 8?) did to Win 95.
So far, I haven't had any major problems, and the ones that I've had could be avoided if I wasn't too lazy to change desktop video settings just to play a game. I haven't gone WAY back in my game library, though. X-com1 runs fine. MM7 is running fine. I never bought Starcraft, so I can't give you a definite answer for that one.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:40 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I tried running DM2: Skullkeep on win 98, many probs, still trying to get that running.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:16 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for the info, Dteowner and SecretMaster.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:30 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

John, don't be upset if you lose your fav old games. Well, actually, once you get windows XP, say bye bye to most of em. But still, plents of kick@$$ games for Xp, such as Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Warcraft III, Frozen Throne, Sim City 4000, BG series, NWN, Shadows of undertide, IWD, IWD II, Wiz8, Empire Earth&the Expansion, you get the point. But no reason to throw away ur perfectly usable old comp. My dad keeps his old comps, every now and then we hook em up and enjoy everything on there like my Crusaders of the Dark Savant games, my warcraft maps, so many memories...
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:42 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for the list, SecretMaster. Yeah, I'm an old soul when it comes to games. Sometimes the old ones seem to be better than the new. Warcraft III, for example, had such mixed reviews that someone said he likes the Starcraft campaign editor a whole lot better. But come to think of it...I've played Starcraft to death anyway. Might as well give it a long rest.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:26 pm
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Same with me. I've actually once had to persuade my dad into not throwing away a comp. It was the one time he wanted to get rid of it, he put it out for trash, then at night me and my bro just brought it back in. Next day, he finally gave in. Some of the best games are the old ones.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:18 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2