Conan: Red Nails(Animated)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Conan: Red Nails(Animated)

Conan Properties has 3 animated movies scheduled for DVD. All three will be adaptations of actual R.E. Howard stories. The first, Red Nails, will be out this summer. The artwork and backgrounds looks really good. I am sure they will likely adapt Hour of the Dragon also.

http://www.conanrednails.com/index/index.html

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:18 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Nice! bout time
Ive just been getting back into Conan actually, alot of down time at work because of renovations. Been reading this -

Anyway, that site has a great desktop pic, that door looks cool stretched-

While were on the subject, Id like to talk a little about the films. What did you think of them? I picked up this set last summer, and it must have been 10 years since Ive seen either.

Though the first one "Conan The Barbarian" is just awesome in my opinion even after all these years, I had a lot of problems with the second one "Conan The Destroyer". Needless to say, the film hasnt aged well. From the 80's personalities such as the absolutely reprehensible Grace Jones, to the real-world ironic lunacy of having of all people but Wilt Chamberlain in charge of guarding the chastity of a young woman, this movie is a textbook example on how to screw up a sequel that should be shown back to back with the original in film schools around the world. The title is ironically accurate, as Destroyer pretty much obliterated the franchise. The comic relief and that abject idiot thief, the dialogue, the effects, the stupid look on Arnie's face as he's clumsily swinging his sword around himself at times, like whipping around some oriental weapon.
It was the height of the "ninja craze" if you remember the period, and the whipping around of weapons was a big thing. It was done well in the first one, but like I said, his broadsword swinging in Destroyer is just downright ham-fisted clumsy at times, the choreography is horrible. Argh, Crom forgive them, it was the 80's.....

But still, I think it completes the set and would recommend having both films if anything to see the contrast, and maybe get a few cheap laughs ='.'= It's a nice looking and fairly cheap set, with a pretty good little documentary on the making of "Conan the Barbarian", and commentary with Arnie and John Milius and a few other extras.

All the extras are pretty much for "Conan the Barbarian" save for a trailer for "Conan the Destroyer", but in light of that film's absolute ineptitude, I'd rather just stay in front of the proverbial curtain and count my losses if you know what I mean.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:04 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Yes, the Destroyer sucks. It does have an awesome soundtrack and that is about it.

Kiyoshi Yamazaki did the choreagraphy and Martial Arts training for the original. He even makes an appearance in the movie. So when you see Conan training with the Asian dude, he is really training with a swordsman. That is my fave scene in the whole movie. I love how he has that wicked stare as he looks down his blade.

If you think the sequel is bad, watch Red Sonja again. It's even cheesier.

Speaking of the 80s Ninja craze, I remembered the Octagon with Chuck Norris being this killer movie. I rented it last year and laughed through the entire movie. What you think is cool when you are eight often does not hold up to well 20 years later.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:25 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yeah, theyre something else when you watch them now. Want a real laugh rent Chuck's "Invasion USA", youll never be the same ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:02 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hey, I have that collection. I totally agree about Destroyer sucking. Poor casting, poor dialogue, poor everything when compared to Barbarian.
Thanks for the heads up on the new animated flicks. I'll be sure to check them out when they are released.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:26 am