Usergroups
Whats the big deal with NWN?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think the game is very good. It is both innovative, the DM thing Mythros mentioned and a mixture of other things that have gone before, as Jaz pointed out. I feels like Gothic or BG2 in some instances, depending on the camera. I also agree with EverthingXen and his long posts. Windwalker also made some good points. Of course the game is rather a cake walk, but you have the option to make it tougher at any point. The main features of Mods design and DMing will give this game a long shelf life, and with good reason. A mod a friend of mine, Immoyaro, developed, is really bizzare. Stampeding herd animals, stuff like that, completely different from the single player game that came with the original. I personally like the flexibility with which you can develop characters. The editor is also quite powerful and is only limited, well almost by the mod makers capabilites and imagination.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:37 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well, I won't come back to what has allready been said by the others. I would just like to say that it's finefor someone to not like NWN. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. The problem is that you can't just cast aside NWN and say that it's crap because you thought it's not good and it didn't appeal to you. The fact of the matter is that NWN is a gem, and it will, I believe, grow better with age.
You didn't like it, fine. It's your opinion, and its the right one for you. But that doesn't make the game bad. I didn't like WC3 personally, but I still recognize that it is a good game for the genre. I liked other games of the same genre, like Starcraft which I played the whole way through. But somehow WC3 didn't appeal to me. But I can't say that it's a bad game... Actually it's very well put together, it just doesn't appeal to me.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:47 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

The beauty of NWN's grafx come with pumping up the extras, if'n you dont have the pc-power behind you to pull this off, I can see where you might be a tad disappointed. I just got a Gforce4 128mb and a new pc basically, and with all the bells and whistles going, NWN is simply one of the most gorgeous games Ive ever played. All these complaint of linear gives me visions of Nox and Diablo-like tracks that you can only travel on. There are whole forests, towns, and otherwise to explore in NWN! Go run around for a while and check the place out, take the long way home.
I can also see how a purist D&D PnP player would likely frown on the no-party thing, and the rapid level progression. Hey, what can I say, thats 3rd ed rules for you. The broader market wants dumbed-down, faster Dungeons and Dragons,like everything else these days. Faster,easier, and prettier.Look at the success of rip n'slash titles like Diablo2, and realize that ultimately Bioware is in it for the money. I kinda like the faster-pace of NWN, its diffrent from the micromanagement-fests of the BG titles. Yes, it doesnt leave me with the same fulfillment as a well executed party stomp on some hapless creatures, but its still fun. It takes half, or even a quarter of the time. This complaint ive heard about "the henchmen just go running off, bla bla" is totally wrong, if you know how to control them. There are minion commands. Put them on the toolbar. Hit the button. Tell the henchman to stay there while you pull the enemy. Tell the henchman to defend you. Tell the henchman to attack closest. Is this so hard? You want control, but you dont want to take the time to control your minions, well thats your shortcoming.
I do see the point about the editor being a disappointment, this isnt the drag-and-drop/encounter-quest wizard type of thing everyone expected. Dreams of such were squashed once one realized "Oh man, i dont know any ScRiPTing!" SUPRISE! All I can say is "Welcome to the real World of RpG-making" I didnt know anything either, but i got into the NWN scripting forums and took their bread-and-butter of scripting tutorials and Im having a great time with it now. Learning scripting is a good thing. You can do alot of things with this knowledge. Imagine doing this kind of thing for a living?
All in all, I think NWN rocks, in a weird way, its spoon-fed in some ways, but in others it grabs you by the scruff of the neck and throws you into something new and unlimited.
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:35 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5