Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A Day in the Knight. (possible mild spoiler inc)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

A Day in the Knight. (possible mild spoiler inc)

Hi there

I thought I would tell you my latest thoughts on “Star Wars: knights of the Old Republic”.

You may well be amazed and astounded, not by the contents of my musings but rather the fact that at this time in the morning my brain is prepared to have any musings at all! (oh...is it that time already?)

Ohhh how I long to tread the welcoming trail of the dark side. I’m determined to save that for a second play through and am rigidly adhering to the path of righteousness in a way that would make Ben and Yoda proud….. had they been born yet.

But the temptation to give in to my base feelings grows stronger the further into the game I go. As the opportunity to insult and generally abuse people arises, I am forced to bite my lip and settle instead for the tepid response of the do gooder.

You want examples? I’ve got em. (From Taris as I’m still marooned there.)

How great would it have been to insult the Janitor instead of being pleasant to the old buffoon? To tell him that his cleaning stank and he should be dismissed out of hand. Then ask him what his name was again because frankly you’ve forgotten it.

The woman with the price on her head who asks you to talk to…. Is it Holden? To get the bounty revoked. I could not believe as things developed, that I was compelled to eventually give her 200 credits to buy herself out of trouble, (not the first time I’ve done that either.) when right from the beginning I was yearning to knock her on the head and collect the bounty myself. Good grief, are all “Light Side Jedi” as brown nosed as me?

The two headed creature in the Undercity Bar… It took real strength of character as the conversation tree developed, not to use the line I really wanted to.
He asks what I’m staring at and I apologise and assure him that I did not want to make him uncomfortable.
He relents and explains that most people around here just come to point and stare because of the way he looks and warming to me he asks what it is that I want.
My mouse pointer hovers for long moments over, “Nothing, I just came to stare at the freak!” Before finally settling for asking the ugly blighter all about his home world and any pets he might have had. Pass me a bucket!

My companions are just as bad. Assaulting me with portions of their life stories, issued in miserly sections and always ending with the next bit held back for a conversation a little later because they don’t want to talk about it anymore. Hello! I didn’t want to talk about it in the first place!

But I have to turn aside the perfectly acceptable options that tell them to go climb a tree, in favour of stroking their troubled brows and trying to persuade them to “open up”. Gaghghghgh…. I. Want. To. Kill. Them…….. slowly oh so slowly… <dribble>

As if that wasn’t bad enough, they’ve now started having inane conversations/arguments between themselves that I’m not even involved with! Until the end when I can either play the peace maker or begin a rhythmic chant of Fight, Fight, Fight.” But there is no real choice in fact. My calling this time around forces my hand once again and ignoring my instinct I pass the olive branch with a sickly smile.

But I’ll tell you this…. I’m biding my time is all. On the next play through I will give in and immerse myself in the dark side. Drink deeply of its bitter water and revel in its many perverse pleasures. Oh yes.. that’s what I’m going to do, oh yes.

On a brighter note I’ve managed to collect a few “Pazak” cards to sit in my side deck now and I almost feel ready to travel back to the surface and challenge that cocky fellow in the bar. I think I need a couple more though before I can feel reasonably safe that I’ll get more than one of them through the random selection and into the game proper.

My tactical powers are obviously failing me here, because although I can clearly see the benefits of having a nice selection of Minus cards, I just can’t see the point in playing a plus card… when would I ever want to do that?

Well, it seems that I have rambled long enough, but I’ll finish with a quick tip for beginners like myself.

Without giving anything much away, I think I can say that early in the game you will find yourself looking for…… something, which involves fighting off hoards of monstrous creatures called “Rakgouls” (sp?) They travel in packs and I found myself adopting a classic MMORPG strategy to take them on. “Pulling.”

Engaging “solo” mode, I left my companions lurking in the shadows and crept forward alone. Moving just far out enough to attract the attention of the closest beast. Then as the creature gives chase I turn tail and bravely run away, leading it back to my motley crew and snapping back into group mode to give the furry fiend a proper pasting. Cowardly and devious, just the way I like it. But here’s the tip……

This takes ages! And eventually you will be in a position where you have cleared them all out and have found the “item” you were looking for.

Now, quite a few people want this item and you now have the choice of delivering to your choice of recipient straight away… or carrying on with the pressing part of your quest and delivering it later.

DO IT LATER! Because if you leave the Undercity the Rakgouls will regenerate! Leaving you having to do it all over again before you can get where you want to go. Bugger!

Badger
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:27 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Give in to the Dark Side. You know you want to.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:27 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

I loved the constant regeneration, it boosted my exp very quickly. Strangely, though, like you, I longed to play the DS my first time through, when I finally did play a second time, I found it VERY difficult to maintain an evil character!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:42 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

I started out going light side, but slowly started giving in to the dark side. It's more tempting to give in when you try to be a straight-laced do-gooder. There's only so much one can take before snapping afterall. *wink*
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:20 am
corwin

I think you're right SAL, it was ever so tempting to give a DS answer after suffering through some of the dialogue trying to be 'nice'. Boy did I want to lop off a few heads at times!!

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:52 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

My name ain't SAL. That's becoming irritating. :p
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:59 am
corwin

Well, it's what you're going to get picking a nick like yours!!

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:04 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

Okay, winy.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:10 am
corwin

At least you didn't say whiney!!

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:20 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

Trust me, I was extremely tempted. :p
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:25 am
corwin

Ah, don't give in to Temptation, you know it's a sin.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:32 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

Screw sin. I'll indulge, whiney. :p

Edith: My apologies to Badger.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:35 am
corwin

That's Mr. to you, show some respect to your elders!!
Hey Badger, seems your threads are getting hijacked no matter where you post them!! Sorry mate.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:45 am
Secret Agent Lawanda

Whatever, whiney. Go back to your porch and rocking chair. Look! There's kids on your lawn, you better go get the hose! :p
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:55 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I hope for your sake Badger that you don't play female character, because later when the possible romance evolves... Well let just say that was my gayest experience ever.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:00 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next