View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

well.. thanks

hey,

thank you very much for your mainly helpful feedback. this is exactly why i decided to publish an incomplete <b><i>work in progress-version</b></i>, i wanted to collect your comments

actually this music plays at the very beginning of the game only, when you work your way along the main menu.

@ val: you said that it <I>"sort of leaves you hanging at the end"</i>. that's absolutely true, but the actual track doesn't end there. i just pressed the 'stop'-button so as not to bother you with the unfinished ending..

@DzD & Moonslash: i decided to stretch the beginning of the track to about 30 seconds for two simple reasons: 1.) this is the very first thing (apart from the logo) you'll hear after having started the game. so i didn't want to unleash the entire orchestra on you in the first seconds. in my opinion, it needed a slow but rising start to make your tension and excitement grow. and 2.) it's only the menu. there's no fight scene going on or something, all you'll probably be doing while listening to this music is to select the correct menu entry and start the game. trust me, later on the music will be much more bursting with energy but i absolutely agree with you that it sounds a little low when you hear it as an MP3...
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:24 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Re: well.. thanks

quote:
hey,
Hey! Allways good with new people from PB. Soon all the team is here.
quote:
thank you very much for your mainly helpful feedback. this is exactly why i decided to publish an incomplete <b><i>work in progress-version</b></i>, i wanted to collect your comments
Great thinking.
quote:
actually this music plays at the very beginning of the game only, when you work your way along the main menu.
That is great, then the music fits.

quote:
@ val: you said that it <I>"sort of leaves you hanging at the end"</i>. that's absolutely true, but the actual the track doesn't end there. i just pressed the 'stop'-button so as not to bother you with the unfinished ending..
Hope the end is as good as the beginning.

quote:
@DzD & Moonslash: i decided to stretch the beginning of the track to about 30 seconds for two simple reasons: 1.) this is the very first thing (apart from the logo) you'll hear after having started the game. so i didn't want to unleash the entire orchestra on you in the first seconds. in my opinion, it needed a slow but rising start to make your tension and excitement grow. and 2.) it's only the menu. there's no fight scene going on or something, all you'll probably be doing while listening to this music is to select the correct menu entry and start the game. trust me, later on the music will be much more bursting with energy but i absolutely agree with you that it sounds a little low when you hear it as an MP3...
I was worried about that that would be in the game when you fight and not in the beginning.

Is it going to be happy music in Gothic II? That was one thing I liked about the music in Gothic I.

I hope you keep us updated!!!!!
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:33 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

If all the team is here, I know what they are not doing.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:45 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
If all the team is here, I know what they are not doing.

heheh but you must understand everybody needs some rest..

Man I really would like to hear a new version of the music even if its
just 10 seconds longer..
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:56 pm
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

actually we are working all day long, not to mention the night shifts.

i pretty much have the impression that half of the team almost <b>lives</b> here in fact.

<i>[flashback]

this reminds me of the time when the deadline for gothic I came unstoppably closer. we had some mattresses in the office, in order not to lose the few minutes it took to drive from home to the office.

*sigh* we felt like a family. every one of us making a contribution to our first baby, gothic I! there was nothing apart gothic. no private live, no contact to anyone except the piranha bytes guys. i almost forgot my mother's 50th birthday...

[/flashback]</i>

well, sorry... i... i'm okay... i was just....
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:17 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

no excuses, please

- nico
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:38 pm
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

@KaiRo
It's really great music, and I was wondering, is it the same orchestra that made the music for Gothic? And what is their name?
Also, will you use In Extremo in Gothic II?
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:32 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

well, could there be a greater compliment for someone arranging computer-simulated orchestral music on his pc than to ask 'what's the name of the orchestra?'?! thank you, LaBaN

actually, i use sample libraries. these expensive cd-packages are filled to the brim with single tones (e.g. as wave files) played by real instruments in a studio. it is my job to put these so called 'samples' together like a puzzle to create my own melodies and background pattern. if i succeed, it sounds like an authentic orchestral arrangement in the end.

but to be very honest, it is one of my greatest dreams to stand in front of a huge orchestra (plus choir - of course) one day and conduct my own score. *sigh* but probably this is never going to happen. usually a real orchestra is far too expensive for a pc game production. only the mayor game development companies can afford that.

in extremo will not play in gothic II, sorry.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:34 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

@KaiRo
When are we going to hear the end? I would really like that.

Actually, for the first time in my gaming history (mostly FPS), I am listening to the music because it sounds good.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:58 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heheh well it would be nice to hear the whole song:)
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:08 pm
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Ahh, so the orchestra's name is KaiRo hehe, then i must admit, you do your job reeaally well. One of my friends sat down in 3 hours, just to hear the gothic 2 theme on repeat, and none of us could distinguish when it started or ended.. it sortof faded together, really nice
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:25 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I've been playing the Gothic 1 samples on the old PB page in my office all day long, much to the chagrin of my then co-workers (need I tell you that I have an office of my own now?).

Good work. It's true, you wait for something to happen when listening to the GII sample... something which *doesn't* happen... but as you said, it's unfinished.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:13 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2