Age of Decadence: Screens and Update
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Age of Decadence: Screens and Update

A couple of months has passed since we first introduced 'Age of Decadence', so it's time for an update on this indie turn-based cRPG with a Roman aesthetic. <br> <br>First, the project has moved to 3D using the torque engine - here's a <a href="http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15qb1.jpg" target="_blank">day</a> and <a href="http://img284.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27mz.jpg" target="_blank">night</a> screen to show the lighting. Here's an early <a href="http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6083/screenshot019pb.jpg" target="_blank">dialogue screen</a> after the move to 3D and two newer ones <a href="http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/193/screenshot024000015hg.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7929/screenshot024000024uf.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>. <br> <br>Finally, art for several character classes has been revealed: <a href="http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=assassin9pd.jpg" target="_blank">assassin</a>, <a href="http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4864/lfighter5rg.jpg" target="_blank">light fighter</a>, <a href="http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4522/hfighter8kk.jpg" target="_blank">heavy fighter</a> and <a href="http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4653/praetorian8ov.jpg" target="_blank">praetorian</a>.
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:40 am

Man, is this thing going to suck.
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:49 am

Dhruin

I just know I'm asking for a rant about the creator...but just in case you have a different answer, why is it going to suck?
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:01 am
Superguest

No bumbmaps? What kind of shitty RPG doesn't have bumpmaps? There doesn't seem to be any 1337 pixel-shading. What did I buy a GF6800 for?

And look at dialog. So many words! Does he think he's writing a novel?

LAME.
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:37 pm

Fallow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Looking good!

Bumbmaps? (shakes head sadly)

Just ignore idiots like that.

The game is looking promising and I very much ENJOYED the dialogue.

It's a turn based ROLE PLAYING GAME.

Nice to see some roleplaying in my roleplaying games for a change.

I'll keep an eye on this one!
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:10 pm
Winky

Yeah well to me roleplaying is when I feel I am IN the game, and turn based combat takes me out. It should be real time and there better be good fireball effects.
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:47 pm

Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Winky
It should be real time and there better be good fireball effects.

Are you being sarcastic, or... ?
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:50 pm
Awful

give up

Looks like crap, and it's being made by one of the biggest arrogant assholes I've witnessed on the interweb. That's saying quite a bit.

Anyways, I see no reason why this has any potential. He's a first timer with an ego the size of a whale, he has no experience, a handful of people didn't like his 2D graphics (out of many who did) so he ended up turning into a graphics whore (delaying the game for prettyness), he's very insecure about the game, and the story sounds like complete ass. All the dialogue choices in the world won't save this POS.

Steer clear of this game everyone, this asshole doesn't deserve any spotlight (for insight on his character, go read his forum posts and news posts at rpgcodex.com).
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:47 pm

Awful

forgot

I forgot to add, his name is "Vault Dweller" over at rpgcodex.com.
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:53 pm

VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: give up

quote:
Originally posted by Awful
... one of the biggest arrogant assholes I've witnessed on the interweb.

... he's very insecure about the game...

So which one, the arrogant asshole or the insecure guy? Can't be both, you know.

quote:
for insight on his character, go read his forum posts and news posts at rpgcodex.com.

Which ones should I read?
Post Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:08 pm
Whip-0

Re: give up

quote:
Looks like crap

quote:
Steer clear of this game everyone, this asshole doesn't deserve any spotlight (for insight on his character, go read his forum posts and news posts at rpgcodex.com).

So, if it looks so gosh darn awful and hasn't got any kind of potential, why would you bother telling people about how much it sucks - won't they be able to notice that themselves? It's obvious it's about your personal dislike of the developer and nothing about the actual game. Sure, I'm sure VD doesn't care about you flaming him, but it's still blatantly ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and I'm biased - for the record. Just as you are.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:16 am

One good thing will come of this disaster in the making. The fat bastard who's making it seems to spend all of his waking hours (Does he even have a job? He seems to post at RPGCodex hours and hours every day while also supposedly designing this "game") telling every professional game developer out there how incompetent they are and calling everyone who doesn't agree with him a retard. When he finally floats this turd, the karma will be excellent. If he has any common sense, the shame will be enough to make him shut his fat ass and stop attacking everyone else in the world, but he doesn't, so it won't. But it will still be damn funny.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:53 am

Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Winky
Yeah well to me roleplaying is when I feel I am IN the game, and turn based combat takes me out. It should be real time and there better be good fireball effects.

I don't know if this was serious or not (some of you guys need to turn the sarcasm knob up a little higher so it's obvious) but just in case it was...you're most unlikely to get uber graphics from an indie cRPG, so move along - nothing to see. There's not much point in reading about other indie developments, either. On the other hand, you should be pretty happy - every major RPG title for the foreseeable future will be realtime with awesome graphics, so you should be set.

quote:
...he has no experience...

This is a valid point...I have know no idea if they can pull it off - and neither do you. Still, there's plenty of other projects from first-time developers that turn out well (and plenty that don't), so I'll just have to look at their intentions, the feature list...and wait to see the final product. I've spoken to VD personally about the project and he isn't arrogant about it - in fact he's frank about its chances and wanting valid feedback.

Is he arrogant as a newsposter? I don't agree with some of his posts -- including some news items -- but it's their site to do as they please and readers can choose to go there or not; diversity makes the world go around. He does often have valid points - but what does any of this have to do with whether the game will be good or not?

quote:
...the shame will be enough to make him shut his fat ass and stop attacking everyone else in the world...

Can't take the moral high ground and then take the low road. I've seen people that get upset at their treatment of Bethesda for example, yet Bethesda devs choose to hang out there. If it doesn't bother them, I'm not going to waste my time worrying about it and it still doesn't have anything to do with the game.

Rants aside, how many cRPG projects in development can anyone name that:

1) Aren't action-based
2) Stats are often used in dialogue
3) Multiple approaches to quests
4) NPCs react to various items (factions, reknown, whatever)

I won't wait for replies because you won't come up with much other than Avernum 4, even including indies. As someone who wants that stuff in a good cRPG, I just can't afford to dismiss AoD 'cause there ain't much else.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:34 am
Twiney

quote:
. He's a first timer with an ego the size of a whale, he has no experience, a handful of people didn't like his 2D graphics (out of many who did) so he ended up turning into a graphics whore (delaying the game for prettyness), he's very insecure about the game, and the story sounds like

For someone who seems convinced the game won't be any good, this person seems to be spending quite a bit of time following its development.

The game is looking good. It's already showed better dialogue than anything else in production.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:18 am

VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
One good thing will come of this disaster in the making. The fat bastard who's making it seems to spend all of his waking hours (Does he even have a job? He seems to post at RPGCodex hours and hours every day while also supposedly designing this "game") telling every professional game developer out there how incompetent they are and calling everyone who doesn't agree with him a retard. When he finally floats this turd, the karma will be excellent. If he has any common sense, the shame will be enough to make him shut his fat ass and stop attacking everyone else in the world, but he doesn't, so it won't. But it will still be damn funny.

I get the feeling that I said something bad about some game you worshipped. I hope that eventually your life will get back to normal. If there is a fund that helps people like you, let me know and I'll gladly donate.

Btw, I don't call everyone who disagrees with me a retard, I call people like you retards. There is a difference, but I won't be surprised if you can't see it.

First, I don't post at the Codex all day long, but I'm logged in most of the day. Yes, the rumors are true, some people have computers at work. Second, I don't tell every professional developer how incompetent they are - why would those professional developers visit the site then? Third, I'm not fat, but the personal attack was cute.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:25 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next