RPGDot Feature: UFO: Extraterrestrials - An Interview
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

RPGDot Feature: UFO: Extraterrestrials - An Interview

It's amazing how many classic titles have yet to be bettered, despite modern gaming development. While it's out of our normal sphere of coverage, we took the opportunity to speak to Chaos Concepts about UFO: Extraterrestrials - their turn-based strategy game inspired by the classic X-COM series. Here's a snip:<em><blockquote><b>RPGDot: You've said that UFO:ET will feature strong AI. How will you achieve this goal and can you highlight some of the things players might expect out of the AI?</b> <br> <br>Michal Dolezal: UFO:ET is a single player game, so the stress was laid just on AI. So, I hired skillfull coders specialized in AI. At this time, they are still at work on the AI. <br> <br>The goals are as follows: Aliens will be able hear, see and cooperate and they will act according to it. Aliens will be able to analyse whether to risk an open fight, retreat or wait hidden for backups. They'll analyze whether to use grenades. The aliens will be able to guess. They'll throw a grenade into a building if they suppose that there is somebody present or hidden inside - just the same abilities as the player. Anyway, if the player hides his soldiers behind some robust indoor equipment,then they'll survive. If an alien spots a group of soldiers in a bunch, then he will consider using grenades or any explosive ammo, retreat or hide.</em></blockquote>Read the full interview <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1211">here</a>. <br> <br>We also have the premiere of the cinematic intro trailer, which you can grab <a href="http://newspics.rpgdot.com/rwdownload/index.php?dl=28" target="_blank">here</a> (direct link, 70Mb, 2:5.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:36 am
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, the trailer is more than disillusioning...
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:40 am
Dhruin

I must admit, the trailer did nothing for me. Hopefully the game is another matter.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:10 am
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yep, let's hope so.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:48 am

1) They talk about AI but i think these aliens are going to be dumb. If you watched the video, notice how big the spaceship they attack is and notice how many times they manage to miss it with their laser projectiles

2) Sure they are advanced anyway. Once a hit is scored, the explosion is delayed a few seconds .. Weird technology indeed.

3) As for structural damage. The ship starts to lose pieces after they leave .. So advanced we can't understand how this "delay" weapons work!!

Needles to say they could have done a better job at presenting the game
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:36 pm

Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

The first XCOM game was one of the best games ever. It would be great to see something like a true "remake".

I didn't really like UFO: Aftermath...
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:31 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought it was a great interview. My only question is why he keeps just bringing up UFO Defense when there are other great titles, like terror from the deep.

Graphics look great, gameplay looks great, standard x-com features looks great, the added featurews look great, everything but AI, which they are working on, and the cut scenes, which who cares about? Not everyone can afford Bink video. Not every great TBS maker is a cinemaphotographer or cinematographer or whatever that word I'm trying to type is.

The graphics in the cut scenes were pretty good. I'm hyped. I'm ready to review the game with 18 stars out of a possible 5. This is probably going to be 06's TBS of the year.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:44 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Sounds like a faithful copy of XCom, which would be good in my mind. I was really hyped about UFO: Apocalypse until I played the demo. Hopefully this one will live up to the promise.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:36 am