Who to Apprentice to
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Nirvy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Who to Apprentice to

Just managed to Kill the Orc with Bartok while hunting, and so now have the approval of all the masters.

I want to be either a Paladin, or a Merc, but im unsure yet.

Considering this which is the best Apprentice ship. Making Swords sounds useful, as do the potions. Many people says bospers Trophy skill are useless, im not sure about that..and i have no idea what i will get if i join the woodsmith guy.

Also do i do quests for my masters? I dont want details, just if i will, and which are best for me.

Thanks all.

PS im only level 6 so far.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:19 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd recomend joining Bosper, he pays quiet well for the skins, alot more than selling them to someone else. You can make swords and potions laater on anyway, so no point in being an apprentice for the other two.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:27 pm
Nirvy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

aight cheers ill try that. I just remember the guy i tested the oblivion spell for offered to teach me alchemy.

What exacty does the woodchopper guy offer?

Also once i join, is that it, or do i recieve a few quests from them?

No access to my gaming pc now so i cant test it.

Ta
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:31 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thorben doesn't offer anything, he can't afford an apprentice. However he can teach you to pick locks, if you do Matteo's quest and pay Thorben 200 gold.
You get no quests from whoever you join, just do stuff around the town and even for the mercs (dunno if it was a bug or not, but I became a merc and bosper's apprentice).
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:47 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I was Bosper's apprentice and became a Merc so I don't think it is a bug.

Sylvio
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:21 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Irf
(dunno if it was a bug or not, but I became a merc and bosper's apprentice).

I don't think it's a bug. In fact, I was his apprentice and became a paladin, and he congratulates me for being a paladin of the King. It would be strange, then, if they make an extra dialog for a bug.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:27 am
Abbath
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

merc and paladin are two very different things
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:52 pm
The Prefect
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you want really easy money, I suggest you become the apprentice of Constantino. He pays the value of the mushrooms and I think you can find more mushrooms then animals. Made a pretty easy 2k of gold.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:22 pm
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

I'd suggest joining Bosper as well. Selling the furs gives more money. Many of the animals respawn but the plants don't. Also, you can become an apprentice and still join any guild you like. Only if you join the militia than you can't join the other guilds. You can do many of the quests of the merc as well before joining any other guild.

Kay
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:45 pm
Chirox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by kugraw
I'd suggest joining Bosper as well. Selling the furs gives more money. Many of the animals respawn but the plants don't.

Hmmm... I'm fairly sure that plants respawn actually... I make a habit of picking up every plant I come across and still I find new plants in obvious places where I have been quite a few number of times before...
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:14 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I quite liked joining the blacksmith as the self-forged swords are quite good weapons at that point and earn you a reasonable sum in sales.

I think the reason you could become a citizen after joining the mercenaries is because the citizenship doesn't tie you to a guild, so the game doesn't think to prevent it. It's a shame that you can't double-cross them like you could do to the main camp in Gothic (1) and go join a different camp.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:14 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Id say blacksmith, you can sell each sword for 100 gold! just buy 4 billets of steel of Brian and you get yourself 400 gold
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:15 pm
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I vote for Bosper. Go to Mercs and Bennet will teach you about making swords. Also Harald is rather poor strenght teacher (till the moment of joining guild Torlof on Onars Farm can teach up to 90 - later he teaches only Mercs but if you take him to the last chapter he is to your disposal again). Constantino will teach magic if you already know some wheather you become his student or not. Look closely to the first dialog when you sell him mushrooms - they may increase your mana pool which is important later (after 50 or so you pay double for every mana point at least as paladin). So I vote for Bosper - animals respawn more frequent then plants - IMHO.
Game doesn`t connect becoming student of one of abovementioned masters with joining guild.So Fez is right.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:42 pm
fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I haven't decided who I'm going to call Master myself, but the way I see it is like this:

1) The "Value" an item has when looking at it in your inventory is a lot higher than when you try to sell the item to a merchant (A shadowbeast hide is worth 250 gold but you can only sell it for 75).

2) Each of the 3 Masters will purchase items from you at the full prize if you become their apprentice (i.e. Constantino will buy mushrooms, Harad will buy home-made swords and Bosper will buy animal skins).

Since you can still learn alchemy from Constantino if you learn the basics from someone else first (like Ignaz) and Bosper will teach you to skin animals before you can even qualify to become his apprentice and you can learn forging from the smith in the Merc camp (without having to be a Merc), the only REAL choice is which "commodity" is most profitable (swords, mushrooms or animal skins).

The swords sell for 30 gold pieces to regular merchants but for 100 gold pieces at Harad's so the difference is 70 gold pieces. That's quite a lot but then again you can only make swords if you have raw iron billets and so far I haven't found more than a dozen of those so perhaps there are too few raw materials available to make it the most profitable business in the long run.

Selling mushrooms to Constantino seems to be a pretty profitable deal ... but then again it'd better be because unless you knock down Constantino and steal back your ingredients, it's going to be pretty expensive to buy back your King's Sorrel, your Dragon Blood and your Goblin's Berries. Besides, mushrooms can be used to replenish mana, so if you're planning on using a lot of magic they might be more usefull than the gold you get from selling them.

Animal skins have no other use than making you money and in order to get to them you usually acquire exp as well (I've yet to meet an animal that would let itself be skinned without fighting back ) However, it's far from every monster in the game that can be skinned and though wolves are numerous it is a lot safer and easier to pick mushrooms than it is to slaughter animals.

I think I'm going to go with Bosper, but I haven't quite decided yet. I'm trying to do as much as I possibly can before making the final choice of which guild to join (kind of like the savegame you could download to the original Gothic where only the most basic of attributes had been trained and the first thing you did was to choose a faction and then train the appropriate skills/attributes).
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:10 pm