stat advice
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Lorac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

stat advice

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on this board. I had played Wiz 8 briefly a year or so ago but I had to give it up because my computer died.

But now I have a new one!

So I decided to start a new party...here goes...

Draco Fighter
Human Lord
Human Ninja
Faerie Mage
Dwarf Priest
Elf Bishop (Psy/Alc)

My question is how do I best develop their stats while I level?

So far I have risen everyone's racially weak stat up to 40 because I figured then they wouldn't be unbalanced. The two that have me kind of stumped are the Lord and the Ninja.

For the ninja I am concentrating on Speed, Dex, and Senses.

The lord though I am basically going across the board with maybe a little less int and a little extra speed.

Sound like a decent plan? Any suggestions?
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:33 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

First off, welcome to the board. It's always nice to see new blood.

Now, there's lots of strategies for character development, some more complex than others. A lot of it depends on what you want your characters to do. One thing- I wouldn't worry about getting everyone to 40's because most of the time there's no significant penalty to having a low score in a stat that doesn't matter to the character's class. For instance, pumping a fighter's intelligence is mostly wasted, even for a lizardman starting with 25 points. Anyway, here's a very simple plan to get you started, keeping in mind that 2 scores at 100 is usually more valuable than 4 scores at 80:

fighter- strength for damage; speed for initiative and extra attacks
lord- strength for damage; dexterity for dual wield
ninja- dexterity for stealth and L&T; speed for initiative and extra attacks
mage- intelligence for spells and powercast; piety for spell points
priest- piety for spells; either of strength for melee or dex for ranged
bishop- intelligence for spells and powercast; piety for spell points

There are certainly more complex ways to go about it (particularly with the bishop) and some of them are more optimized, but for a Wiz8 rookie the above will get the job done nicely. Hope that helps.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:28 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

For a lord, I pumped strength and piety - I wanted my lord to be a good caster. If you only plan on the occasional healing spell from the lord, then go for strength and vitality. Vitality points can be split with dexterity and speed.

The ninja is the hardest character to develop IMO. Stremgtj is a must. Since you seem to be using the ninja as your thief, you probably want to go with dexterity as the other attribute you're pumping. Senses and speed will also help. To complicate things, you also have the ninja's alchemy skills to play with, which suggests a need for intelligence. Given your party composition, I'd say use the bishop for alchemy and don't try to make your ninja into a big time caster.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:52 am
otter
One of Us

Lords don't need all that much Vit, esp considering they regen HP. Piety only helps you get skill increases faster. The more you practise to build skill points, the fewer precious attribute points you can save for Dex.
Ninja gets the most out of Str and Dex. Dex is the primary attribute for Alchemy, tho as stated above for Pie, it only helps you learn faster...but it also helps you learn combat skills faster, and directly contributes to your att rating, etc. Anyway, alchemy is the easiest magic school to train, so you can combine powerful magic and combat with just a little work.
My development for almost everyone includes getting Dex to at least 80 by L9. Dex is so important a factor in most of what you do, especially combat characters. Strength--all combattants get Str to 100 by L18. Only the designated haster gets speed over 60, usually only 80. Senses and Vit are the things i split with Dex once it's over 80; Vit gets you HP, load, and stamina, Sen gets you higher init and attack ratings.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:35 am