D&D mmorpg?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
shaman's tear
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

D&D mmorpg?

With D&D crpg's (BG,NWN) having such a huge fan base & selling power do you think we'll see a mmorpg sometime in the future? I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Realms and i'd love to see a game set in that world with npc's based on novel characters.Maybe i'm biased but I think it would give SW:G a good run.
Post Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:46 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

It would certainly be interesting. But in my opinion what makes D&D special is the DM (Dungeon Master) and you couldn't have that in an MMORPG - not the kind you'Re referring to at least. Anything else would just be a re-hash of everything else that is being made, and there wouldn't be anything special about it. But I do agree that an MMORPG set in the DragonLance universe, for instance, would certainly have its charm!

I think NWN is the best thing any developer could have done with D&D and multiplayer. In any case D&D pen and paper games were always designed to be played by a few people, 10 players at most, and a DM, not thousands of players at the same time. NWN succeeds in re-creating the sense of group and interaction in multiplayer games when playing with a DM.

In short, I don't think doing a D&D based MMORPG would do justice to the D&D system at all, but the game worlds would certainly make for a good background.
Post Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:02 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I am thinking that it wont happen, at least not immediately. Reason is, D&D games that have come out have a strong story presence. It would be kind of hard to make that role-play deep-story happen in an MMORPG, unless they make it revolutionary. In any case, Ekim is right. It would be just a rehashment of everything else that is coming out. BUT, it could be a good idea for Wizards of the Coast, and I bet you a dollar that they are in fact thinking about it. After all, what developing company isnt thinking about MMORPGs nowadays? Its a big money, high-cost genre, and its only going to get bigger and better. Take AC2 for instance. I am in beta 2 of that game and the graphics are simply amazing. I have enough experience to say that this genre looks very promising for the future, and if there is ever a D&D setting MMORPG, it would be a big contender.

EDIT -- spelling correction

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:30 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I suspect that there are already ideas on the drawing board for a MMORPG at WotC at the minute as it is too big of a market for them to ignore. I also suspect they will wait and see how warmly Warhammer Online is received as this is also based on a PnP system. WotC have recently learned that not everything with a D&D licence is gonna do well - remember the movie. So Caution is probably the keyword at the moment.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:59 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

That DND movie was total crap. I can dream better stuff up than that shoddyy excuse for a movie with my brain folded up six times, crammed into my little toe, then kicked into a brick wall and absorbed into the rock. My brain, after all that abuse, could come up with a better movie than that stupid (read STUPID) dungeons and dragons movie. the end.

EDIT -- made my comments more... appealing to... nice peoples.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:37 am