Usergroups
What is important??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

So the game is out and you are unsure if it is worth you money, why don't we just read review first. Well each review you can narrow to few sections: story is first then interference, sound, combat, graphics, and since this is an RPG let's put interaction with NPC's. Now the question for you is which of those are most important for you to make that purchasing decision? Since you can't have all (we don't live in the perfect world do we?) what would you give up out of these choices?

Me, story is the most important then NPC's and how easy is to learn the moves . Graphics, sound and interference, well let me tell you something, I remember the times when I played PnP and I didn't have either of those.

Seth

Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:43 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If a game doesn't have a good story or interesting gameplay I'm not going to play it. What would be the point? If I want eye-candy I'll go to a movie. If I want music I'll turn on the radio.

Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:36 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Actually, you had the best graphics when you were playing pen and paper.

I look for story, then gameplay, then graphics, then sound.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:12 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

For me, the most important element is the main character or characters.
By this I mean that you have to be able to relate to and actually care about them.
They have to become real.
There needs to be an emotive bond as you play, so that you are concerned for actions and outcomes. With a party of characters, some interaction and banter is also welcome so that your gang does come to life.
This is primarily driven by the story or characters scripting. There is nothing worse than a wooden character that you really dont give a toss about.
I find this in other genres such as RTS games. C&C types, you just build a bunch of guys and send them off. One RTS game (if I can mention it here) that excels in this department is Warrior Kings. You need to care about your guys.Worth a look.
Anyway, the second important thing for me is the setting. I much prefer the rambling variation of BG2 etc; than the similarity of surroundings of things like POR2.
It's really great to wander a newly discovered area full of unfamiliar scenery not just another set of dull walls and bland floors.
Graphics are "not as important" although I wouldnt want to return to the pixellated days of the Atari and Amiga.
If we can have it all...why not. Gothic was the closest thing to achieve all of this (IMO).

Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:52 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hmmm... I prefer the atmosphere to the NPCs to the story to the rest.

About C&C... believe me, I cared for my units, poor little critters. And I'm a habitual NOD player as well .

Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:56 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

I always try to get demo of those games that sounds interesting enough, then i can say if that game is for me and must have. Game atmosphere and interface are the most important things for me, then comes graphics and sound. If game has humor, then it's big +.

Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:52 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Demos are fine, when the developer makes one; but they are getting few and far between. How do you determine how the story goes wihtout playing the game. You can't buy the game because it has a pretty cover (although we all have probably got burnt on buying a game only because of the picture on the box) It's hard to buy a game stricktly on reviews, what the reviewer likes isn't necessarily what I like. Demos are the only way to go. Morrowind, M&M9, and Dungeon Seige aren't publishing a demo to my knowledge
Post Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:05 pm