Wass Up???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wass Up???

Hey all...I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d drop in and share a beer and some schnapps. So I see G3 been pushed back…no surprise there…and I see Wood is still talk’n ‘bout releasing an English NOTR….so nothings changed I see Jazz, Gorath…how are you two doing? Put down any coups or slap any one back in line lately??

Got any more beer in the fridge?

Sylvio
Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:46 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, you said it - nothing really changed...
Here, have another beer .
Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:38 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thank Jaz...can always use another brew. This place is like playing the slots. One of these days I'm going to pull the handle and hit a jackpot by see the news that ol' JW has released the English ver. of NOTR. I've been holding off play'n a Paladin until the English NOTR comes out…something to do while we all wait for G3…some obviously longer than others...

Sylvio
Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am certain I will see a Norwegian G2 + add-on before the English one..

Hello btw!
Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:18 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey Maylander, I see your still hanging around and sadly, I think your right…I don’t understand it though surlly the English market is big enough to warrant an English release of NOTR.

Sylvio
Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:56 am
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I've already pretty much stated this elsewhere but I'll throw it out again just for fun.

Large enough market or not that boat has sailed. Unless they are planning to release just prior to G3 (to boost awareness or something) then I doubt we will ever see an english notr.

Even if they do release it the majority of hardcore gothic fans (the ones that love the game enough to do further research and not just put it down after one play through) have already discovered the awesome english translation.

Really though to generate enough sales of the expansion they would have to advertise heavily. Now the way I see it: Notr is way too hard for the average american gamer (though I wish it were harder). Because of this, many US players would be discouraged by the gameplay (and the outdated graphics) and put the game aside. This could actually hurt the sales of g3. The smart thing to do is pump all efforts into selling g3 to the general public. Those that really like it will hunt for its predecessors. Hopefully g3 will have various difficulty levels or a difficulty slider (similar to morrowind) that way a wider range of players can still enjoy the game.

Thats the way I see it anyway
later, rordog
Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:18 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I HOPE your not insinuating the US game players are too dumb to play NOTR! Besides…looking at the news…it looks like they will be releasing an English NOTR.

Sylvio
Post Wed May 04, 2005 8:04 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
I HOPE your not insinuating the US game players are too dumb to play NOTR!

No, he says that the game will be too hard for the occasional players. And he is right. Only the hardcore players like the difficulty level in NotR. If you're playing it for the first time or just once in a while it's really too hard for most people.
Post Thu May 05, 2005 11:39 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Occasional players don’t buy RPGs…they buy FPSs. RPG players are in a league of their own, they are in it for the long haul. Occasional playing of an RPG is a contradiction in terms.

Sylvio
Post Fri May 06, 2005 1:32 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Occasional playing of an RPG is a contradiction in terms.

And yet, they are there and most of them aren't playing Gothic, because they find it too hard (especially the first hours, and they don't play it anymore after those first hours)
Post Fri May 06, 2005 2:15 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

@Ragnar, never in my wildest dreams would I imply that. The US/Canada gaming market is basically the same demographics. So I would be saying that about myself and my people, which I am not.
Indeed, it would be nice if rpg's were all built for the hardcore gamer, but a large part of sales is generated by the casual player. Most people don't have 5+ hrs per day to spend playing a game.

It does look like an english version is finally going to be released (yay). Is it coming to the US or is it a UK release? Regardless, the english side of the gothic series has been inarguably mismanaged. Is this more of the same? Well I don't run the company, but why focus on the past when you have something that is only going to have one major competitor in the future? (elder scrolls: oblivion)

Ya G2 is pretty good and its even better with notr, but I have to ask: are they hoping to capture a larger audience with this belated release? It simply does not make economical sense unless they are going to heavily market an outdated game (which they aren't).

A better idea. Why not try to correct past mistakes and offer the english G3 at the same time as the german version. I realize that the german market is their bread and butter and that is fine. But neglecting the english market and then releasing the game when it becomes graphically outdated, supplemented by poor marketing and then wondering why sales are not that great doesn't really make much sense to me either.

I'll just be happy to see G3 sometime in Q1 of 2006.

later, rordog
Post Fri May 06, 2005 8:16 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:
Occasional playing of an RPG is a contradiction in terms.

And yet, they are there and most of them aren't playing Gothic, because they find it too hard (especially the first hours, and they don't play it anymore after those first hours)

Ya know…I don’t think I know anybody that bought Gothic and didn’t play it all the way through. I’m sure, as you said, there are people who have, I just haven’t met any…I remember the first time I played Gothic…I thought the combat system sucked. I was an Adventure/FPS player and the concept of “timed based swings” was foreign to me. But the graphics and NPC interaction was cool enough to keep me interested in the game. The more the plot developed, the more engrossed in the game I became…and before I knew it, I picked up the combat system…and now wouldn’t have it any other way. But the “magic” that is Gothic is the music score. It kind of just picks you up and sweeps you off to this magical foreign land of wizards, warriors and strange beasts….to me it’s like reading a good book that you just can’t put down.

Rordog…no offence was taken…I was just trying to fire things up a little. I don’t the PB/JW is trying to accomplish anything with the late release of the English NOTR…they just got screwed by Atari’s legal team…you ever try to cut down a tree with a hatchet? I think JW got tired of Atari’s BS and went out a bought a chainsaw to get back the rights to NOTR. It cost money to use heavy equipment and I feel JW was trying to save some cash by taking the diplomatic approach. But I also think they realized that not releasing an English NOTR before the release of G3 would be a mistake…and we all know JW/PB have made their share.

As far as G3 is concerned…It doesn’t bother me that they will release in Europe first. They need to recoup cost and a local market ready to scoop up their product makes perfect sense. And as far as the graphics are concerned, eye candy is nice but I play for the story and music…and that does not get outdated.

Sylvio
Post Tue May 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

PB will put much more effort into the music this time. KaiRo is still responsible for it, but he gets support from a composer from Eastern Europe. Dynamedion (in 4 years from nowhere to the Superbowl is quite a career! ) is also involved in it, although I think it´s only a supporting role to get the notes done. The whole thing will probably be played by an orchestra.
Post Tue May 10, 2005 7:17 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey Gorath...it's good to be back and it looks like I'll have to include 5.1 on the system upgade list.

Sylvio
Post Wed May 11, 2005 5:37 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Sadly there is becoming less and less people that value content over flash and dazzle. We live in a time where your computer is outdated 20min after you buy it. Just look at all the spec bragging that people do. There is more concern with making a face look like real life than making a game with a solid story.
While these graphical advancements are important, meaningful content will always get my vote.
The masses don't see things this way though and a later release will ultimately hurt sales in the US. Especially when you consider that the next wave of eye-candy will be coming out which may make G3 look like G2 when it was released in the US (adequate, but not amazing).

I understand that JW/PB wants to rectify errors that were made (not necessarily by them) and release notr prior to G3. That is fine if they feel that is important. If the story line of notr is significant to G3 then go ahead. It won't sell many copies in NA though.

I would release a collectors box set of all three gothics + notr for like 10-15 bucks more them G3 is going to retail. Or sell it for just enough to cover the production costs of the two older gothics (whatever that would be, CD's are only pennies in large numbers) so they might be able to sell it for just a little bit more and then almost everyone buying G3 would by a collectors edition if it was only a bit more expensive.

I don't really know though, I just don't want them to punish us with an even later english release based off of lack-lustre sales of notr.
Maybe I'll just learn german and be done with it.

later, rordog
Post Thu May 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next