Usergroups
Making money: freight and factories
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Badger- there's a fighter drone factory 1 or 2 sectors away. Iz soooo easy then.

@Xen- looking for another commodity to run? Crystals! If you play your cards right, you can buy for ~1400 and sell for nearly 1800 and they only take 3x space in the hold. Better yet, prime users of crystals are SPPs, and (paradoxically) crystal fabs use energy. Makes for a nice and highly profitable loop.

Admiral dte's Update- Ended up pulling a Xen: started with 300k, ended 3 hours later with 250k. In the interim, I added a little space in the hold of Mercury Two and picked up a mid-sized Buster. I decided to sell the Disco. I wanted to keep it, but it's really a useless ship if you aren't piloting it (can't pick up "limo runs" off the bulletin boards if you're not driving). Just collected my free jumpdrive and saved for the weekend.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:33 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Dte, both the fighter drone factory and all other outlets that had them listed for sale, Had 0, that's ZERO in stock when I went looking. Learned one thing though, position is important with the missiles. At one stage I fired 20 missiles into one mine, heard BANG, but mine was never destroyed. Moved over a little to try it from a different angle (after a reload) and wiped the lot out with about 6 missiles, finished that quest and am now deciding whether to stop the plot for a while and do some serious trading, or continue a little longer.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:07 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Deep Joy Corwin! But where was that position? Oh dear...space is a big place and I bet you don't really remember. Gaghghgh!
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:17 am
corwin

I simple moved a little to my left to change my angle of fire. Don't get closer than 5km, you might get wiped out in a large chain reaction. It took me about 5 hours to finish that section; a great deal of trial and error, in more ways than one!!

Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:33 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Bah! Still can’t do it. I’m trying dte’s fighter drone suggestion now. But this has given me a new problem and ..erm… to be honest I’m too embarrassed to tell you what it is.

I think I’ll pop over to Egosoft and see if anyone has already asked this stupid question.

Badger
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:45 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'll take a wild stab, since this was a problem for me...

Go to your ship's hold and eject a drone. Go to the sector map and select the drone. Go to the drone's command console and tell it to attack your chosen mine.

I think this would be a good time to revisit my biggest complaint with this game so far- "Manual? We don't need no stinkin manual! Where's your sense of adventure? Shouldn't you be experimenters and pioneers?" Fortunately, I had access to Dhruin, Resident X^2 Encyclopedia. @Dhruin- if Steel still has his 200 page manual version somewhere, he ought to put it up. 3-5 bucks to download it? I bet he'd be swamped in orders.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:36 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Apparently it never got written due to the publishers orders to restrict the size - but I wish it had. He recently posted he was only given 2 weeks to write it - I'm not sure who screwed that up. I'm lucky because about 95% of the commands are the same as X:BTF when it kicked the series off 5 years ago.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:18 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

That wasn't a bad stab dte. It was figurig out how to launch and control the drone which had me stumped.

Worse still, the threads I found over at Egosoft all seemed to say offer the same solution as each other, so I thought it must be right. But it simply didn't work for me!

I got the drones out of the ship ok, but then they just hung there regardless of what key I pressed to tell them to attack. Even tough I was getting "Command Accepted" messages.

In the end I got it to work though but only by using a specific method.

1/ Eject a Drone.
2/ Target a Sqaush Mine
3/ In the Command Com, selected hail all Drones (or some such) and then from the list that came up I ignored "Attack My Target" and instead I opted for "Attack...." which then brings up a NAV screen allowing you to filter all the way down to the squash mine you chose before.

This is a little long winded, but quite simpy nothing else worked for me. I could not get those little devils to fly any other way.

Anyway. The good news is that I managed to clear enough mines to complete that phase of the mission. YAY! Not without a couple of hickups mind you.

On the first attempt, a mine I'd left which ignored my Badger space walk on the way in. For some reason took exception to me on the way out. KABOOM!

On the second attempt (Thank goodness for the salvage save thingy) I go almost back to the Heart of Gold, when a passing pirate used it for target practice and left me high and dry!

But the third time was the charm and now I've followed the storyboard onto the next stage and a Jump Drive for free is within my grasp. But I have to trade for a bit forst because this Disco he gotta go. Not big enough for the drive! D'oh!

Badger
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:21 pm
corwin

I wonder if the amount of stock is purely random, since I couldn't buy a drone anywhere and you guys obviously had no trouble!! On the other hand, I wasn't attacked by Pirates after squashing those mines.

Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:22 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I finally got a SPP up and running in Herron's Nebula. It seems that my 2 Expresses (not counting the 3rd crystal buyer) cannot keep up with production. I've dropped the jump setting down to 1, but the ships are still gone longer than I'd like. I hate to drop it down to 0 since it seems that could flood about any market pretty quickly. Did I goof, or should I stop watching the factory so closely and let it do its job?
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:12 am
corwin

Initially, I went out and bought LOTS of crystals manually and sold Energy manuall at top price. Now I just leave and forget unless I see I'm out of crystals, then I'll do a manual run. I just come back to transfer more credits!!

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:11 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

DTE: Setting it to one isn't a bad idea, if you've got four sectors within one jump. Just be sure your crystal collector can reach where it needs to in one jump.

Otherwise two sectors is fine. Round trips of nearly an hour aren't uncommon. If you don't like a huge stockpile of energy cells sitting there then add a third transport. Personally, I don't mind seeing them near max because it means that crystals are not being consumed. A single crystal 'costs' 80+ energy cells being sold, after all. Still... adding a transport is probably your best bet if you think the extra cell selling will make up for the transport cost. It almost always does ... cosmically speaking transports aren't that expensive and if you find that you've got one sitting idle a lot waiting for a batch of cells to be ready you can always fly it to another new factory that needs transports or remote trade with it (I think all the money goes to the factory if you do this, but the purchase price comes from 'your' funds so it looks like you're losing a lot of money). They're highly recycleable..

Corwin: You do know that you don't need to dock with the factory to transfer credits, right? You can do it from anywhere in the universe. I'd go nuts if I had to run around to each of my factories because I saw a shiny weapon I couldn't quite afford and needed to make a withdrawal.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:08 pm
corwin

No Xen, I hadn't realised that!! Thanks for the insight. I've been going back every time I run low on funds.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:41 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

They have plasma weapons, jump drives, and shielding systems. It would be a sad thing indeed if they hadn't invented E-Commerce.

Up to 5 factories now. Just hit 20 million so I can buy a Heracles and have some relaxing down time mining. Want to make a few more million so I can drop more 125 MW shields on it at purchase (if any extra are available at the station I buy from).

I lose one ship an hour to Khaak. That's what happens when you have 20 lightly shielded vessels floating through the void. Some places are worse than others, that's for sure.

My factory in Seizewell is a money pit, having lost 5 transports in 3 hours.

My factory in Family Pride isn't much better, holding a record of losing two ships simultaneously because they took the same shortcut at the same speed and ran into the same Khaak cluster.

My factory in Kingdom's End has lost one ship in something like 30 hours of play.

My factory in Argon Prime lost one Mercury in about 6 hours... well, that and before a reload all ships and the factory were destroyed by the Federation fleet because one of the transports got stuck and bounced off a gate three times and triggered "And now you die."

Factory in Priests Rings hasn't been up long enough to suffer. I destroyed the pirate base and the Paranid ships do a much better job of sector defense than the Teladi and Split do so it should be a little safer.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2