Usergroups
Great RPG but very bad 3DEngine
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Calling the NetImerse engine a "bad 3D engine" is a nice pun, but simply not true. The NetImmerse engine also powers DAoC, of course with less polygons.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:22 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Calling the NetImerse engine a "bad 3D engine" is a nice pun, but simply not true. The NetImmerse engine also powers DAoC, of course with less polygons.

Yep. I think the biggest problem falls with people are are used to FPS games running fast and furious, they don't understand the amount of detail difference involved in the different game types, but to each his own.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:28 pm
Mltdwn

Re: Eh?

quote:
Originally posted by Somnus
Eh? Same engine as DAoC and Asheron's call/Everquest?
Alas, no. The MW engine is built around it's own engine, which is the TES editor... They developed the editor, then wrote the game with it.

As for other engines that can do what Morrowind does, they simply don't exist. Morrowind is known as the most advanced engine at the moment for a very good reason. The only engine at the moment that looks anywhere near as good is the as of yet unreleased Unreal2 (looking forward to that one). As a first person shooter it'll be smoother, because it doesn't have the detail of an RPG in it.

Back to the original post....
Zappa: You possibly have a driver error, or need defragging. Others with a similar setup as yours are reporting about 30fps outside.
Damn, Black_Lord was even running it on a 350mhz with an 8 meg gfx card, badly I'll admit , but still doable.

Somnus

Erm, no it is the same engine Somnus. The editor is just a means to place the data for the engine into the game. We we talk engine we mean the rendering system, and it uses the same rendering system as those other games use.

-Mltdwn
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:29 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

No, MW engine is unique. They used the NetImerse engine as backbone, but they tweaked it so much you can easily call it their own. Thats why they chose the NI in the first place, it is a very 'bare' engine.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:33 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Why is everyone getting such horrible perfomance (not that I care about FPS) I'm playing on a 1.8 Ghz P4 with 384 megs of RAM and an ATI 8500le. the game runs perfect, smooth outdoors, smooth indoors, i downloaded the unofficial "Patch" which made it even smoother, do you people not defrag your harddrives or something??

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:39 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Warmaster-Horus
Why is everyone getting such horrible perfomance (not that I care about FPS) I'm playing on a 1.8 Ghz P4 with 384 megs of RAM and an ATI 8500le. the game runs perfect, smooth outdoors, smooth indoors, i downloaded the unofficial "Patch" which made it even smoother, do you people not defrag your harddrives or something??

Looks like SafeDisc is the culprit for the crippling performance and not the engine.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:09 pm

MamoVaka

I SECOND YOU SIR

He is right, look at his pc.

You people that call him an idiot are complete fools.
his pc scores EXTREMELY high on 3dmark2001, which means its running well. and even if it wasnt it should still run morrowind BLAZINGLY fast.

I have a 1900+ 512 ddr geforce 4 ti4600 here, and Morrowind runs PATHETICALLY slow and I have it optomized to the HILT.

he is not doing anything wrong, the problem is that you guys are just total jerks, Morrowind is the problem not his (our pc)

And I reiterate anyone that CLAIMS to be playing this game at MAX detail with no slowdowns is a LIAR, plan and simple. Either that or too dumb to realize that they are playing at 9 fps
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:20 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Warmaster-Horus

i find it interesting that i haven't seen ANYONE who says their game runs "perfectly" give specific framerate numbers. you even said that you don't care about FPS. so what kind of framerates do you get? "perfect" seems to be a very subjective term in this case..

btw, i would consider "perfect" to be a minimum of 60fps at all times, indoors and out, so on this engine i don't think perfect performance is possible with current hardware
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:20 pm

MamoVaka

"guest" hit it right on the head

SUBJECTIVE.

let me give some examples

My friend plays EQ, I recently went to his house and saw him playing it, my first response was WOAH, how can you play it like this???? I mean the game was running at around 9 fps it seemed, utterly choppy as hell. To which he replied. "what do you mean?" "runs fine" I honest to god was AMAZED that he didn't/couldn't see the choppyness which is GLARINGLY apparent to me (and most people)

In the medal of honor forums people post that the game is choppy on all pc's (which it is) yet there are always people who VEHEMENTLY state that it runs "smooth as glass" on their pc's, and they dont have power systems either. Usually when asked to give specifics the posts trip on their own words and their story goes from "I get 80 fps in MOH I have no complaints!"
to "Oh yeah well it does drop down to 15 sometimes" That is what gets people annoyed, is that people who consider 9 fps normal insult the people here that really cant live with 9fps.

I have testes games like MEdal of honor and morrowind on multiple pc's and EVERY ONE runs the game the same way, as I would expect it.
tried it on mine 1900+ 513 ddr geforce 4 4600, get 9-11 fps in cities. Tried it on a dell 2.2 512 ram geforce 4 4600 and get almost the same fps.

It's just annoying the people will chime in and call us idiots for not optomising our systems when they haven't a clue what they are talking about in the first place.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:41 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

MamoVaka: Stop calling me a liar. You cant handle your pc? Your prob. 3dMark sais NOTHING. Believing in that shows enough I think.

guest: you are right, 'perfect' is highly subjective. I dont play FPS, and I havent got a 'trained eye'. If it runs in 30 fps, I see it as 'perfect'.

60 is impossible now, and unneeded in an rpg.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:44 pm
bunnyfufu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
MamoVaka: Stop calling me a liar. You cant handle your pc? Your prob. 3dMark sais NOTHING. Believing in that shows enough I think.

guest: you are right, 'perfect' is highly subjective. I dont play FPS, and I havent got a 'trained eye'. If it runs in 30 fps, I see it as 'perfect'.

60 is impossible now, and unneeded in an rpg.

it may be unnecessary because there isn't as much action, but if i get a headache from staring at 20-30 fps for a few hours, i'm gonna want a higher framerate

(this is the last guest who posted, i forgot to log in..)
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:52 pm

Your eye cannot sample faster than 24 FPS (Not sure but definately <30 FPS) so there really isn't any point of wanting everything to run at 60 FPS.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:52 pm

MamoVak

Mephisto

I am sorry that I am calling you a liar. and no I dont have a prob with my pc I get great frames in everything but medal of honor and morrowind. How can you possibly explain that to me?

The fact that you dont have a "trained" eye means maybe you shouldn't be posting here discrediting other people who do have one.

and since when does 2dmark mean nothing? I can guarantee you that when I do steps to increase my 3dmark score all my direct 3d games run that much faster also.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:01 pm

Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

It appears somepeople are completely confusing Morrowind with a FPS.

THIS IS NOT a FPS!

Face the facts if you have an Athlon XP and get only 9-fps you need to learn how to tweak both your system and the game. Geez-my system runs 14fps only in the worst possible areas. Otherwise i normally see 30+ fps.

P4 1.8@2.0
Geforce3 (original)
512mb

I run at FULL view
1024x768 2xAA
Shadows OFF

If i bring the view slider to 2/3 view distance i gain easily 10 fps.

Anyone who compares Morrowind to a FPS is only showing their ignorance.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:12 pm
MamoVaka

fps?!

Listen to me, Morrowind doesnt HAVE TO BE A FPS for the framerate to get annoying. The reason people dislike bad framerate in morrowind is the same reason they dislike them in medal of honor, it simply makes the game more difficult/annoying to play!

Why dont people get this? LOW FPS is BAD for games! not just in a FPS but in ANY game
now in some games like dungeon seige the fps dont drive you nuts because of your perspective, but in morrowind being a 1st person view you feel like your punchdrunk at 15 or less fps, and it takes away from the enjoyment. Heck I havent played morrowind since I bought it largely for the annoyingly unstabel fps (ex look one direction 60 fps, turn your head and the world chomps down to 9 fps) what a JOKE
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:17 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next